Poll: Is autotune worse than out of tune singing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is autotune worse than out of tune singing?
Autotune is worse.
35 46%
Singing out of tune is worse.
35 46%
Whats a autotune?
6 8%
Voters: 76.
I dunno if this thread has been done before.
However Ive come across lots of bands lately that use auto tune. Ive also seen some bands that just sing out of tune and dont fix it.

What do you think is worse, singing out of tune, or auto tuner?
Singing really badly out of tune on an album annoys me. I'd take a subtle autotune any day..
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Pretty much every band uses autotune.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I don't care, let people make music how they want to.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I would say autotune is worse, but if it's subtle and not very noticeable, or used as an effect when appropriate, it's fine. I don't mind slightly off tune though, depending on the music
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Trowzaa

there a difference between pitch correcting for recording purposes and covering up the fact that you cant sing in a live setting.
Quote by Trowzaa

+1

It's amazing how many people will hate on autotune and be completely ignorant to the fact that their favorite bands use it. Not all autotune is that hard snapping t-pain sound.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Slightly off-tune is fine, as well as slight auto-tune. It's the extremities of these two that bug the crap out of me.

ex: Black Eyed Peas. Autotune on stage is the most pathetic usage of effects since the 1980's.
Quote by StewieSwan
+1

It's amazing how many people will hate on autotune and be completely ignorant to the fact that their favorite bands use it. Not all autotune is that hard snapping t-pain sound.

This...and everyone should use pitch correction*...even the best singers...

*(Everyone who knows how to actually use it anyway.)
Last edited by FireHawk at Jun 19, 2011,
too much of good thing is crap
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Definitively singing out of tune (unless it's just slightly) is worse than using autotune to hide the lack of singing talent. Subtle autotune for recording purposes might be fine I guess.
Do people still think that automatically using autotune will make you a magically way better singer? It does not do that, all it does is correct pitch/intonation. I shouldn't have to explain twice why autotune does not miraculously make you a better singer.
Quote by NothingRocks
Do people still think that automatically using autotune will make you a magically way better singer? It does not do that, all it does is correct pitch/intonation. I shouldn't have to explain twice why autotune does not miraculously make you a better singer.

Well they're the same people that think emotion is measured in bpm.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Ratt sang out of tune on one song
I think it was Lay it down
but it sounded okay still
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Anything that makes the song sound better is a good thing. Oftentimes, it makes the song sound worse, but it's cool the rest of the time.
Autotune is a third party plug in... no-one forces you to buy the product. its not a part of every producers studio. like not every studio uses Logic, some use protools.

pitch correction is the proper name for it, not autotune.

autotune when used for what it is (an effect) sounds amazing in the right settings, when used to cover up that popstar X can't sing to save their lives and label boss A wants to make a few bucks out of some kid with a floppy hair do. then thats when it becomes irritating
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by Sparky-MMA
Autotune is a third party plug in... no-one forces you to buy the product. its not a part of every producers studio. like not every studio uses Logic, some use protools.

pitch correction is the proper name for it, not autotune.

autotune when used for what it is (an effect) sounds amazing in the right settings, when used to cover up that popstar X can't sing to save their lives and label boss A wants to make a few bucks out of some kid with a floppy hair do. then thats when it becomes irritating

1. Wrong, almost EVERY producer who deals with vocal tracks uses some form of autotune.

2. Autotune does not cover up crappy sing, just pitch.
Quote by Trowzaa

Every new band maybe. And even then, not all of them.

Quote by NothingRocks
1. Wrong, almost EVERY producer who deals with vocal tracks uses some form of autotune.

You mean the mixing engineer, probably told to use it by the producer but still, the producer is usually the guy at the back of the room / working with the band shaping the sound.

Also, there are people who can sing in tune you know, not every vocal track needs to be autotuned.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by NothingRocks

1. WRONG! the plug in is called autotune, made by Antares. remember google is your friend, also i paid £300 for that software for effect use. so i know it didn't come with Logic Studio.

2. Autotune can not only cover up crappy singing, it can also cover up crappy pitch just like flextime in logic,
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by Sparky-MMA
1. WRONG! the plug in is called autotune, made by Antares. remember google is your friend, also i paid £300 for that software for effect use. so i know it didn't come with Logic Studio.

2. Autotune can not only cover up crappy singing, it can also cover up crappy pitch just like flextime in logic,

1. Antares' plugin is mediocre, use Melodyne. Not to mention the fact that is doesn't come with DAWs doesn't make a single difference

2. No it can't, autotune can not cover bad dynamic or just a bad singing voice.

You mean the mixing engineer, probably told to use it by the producer but still, the producer is usually the guy at the back of the room / working with the band shaping the sound.

Also, there are people who can sing in tune you know, not every vocal track needs to be autotuned

Very few people can sing in perfect pitch, autotune is just used to clean up the intonation issues. It's just used to make it sound little bit better.
Quote by Sparky-MMA

Autotune is a brand of pitch correction

There are many alternatives...
Quote by NothingRocks
1. Antares is shit, use Melodyne. Not to mention the fact that is doesn't come with DAWs doesn't make a single difference

2. No it can't, autotune can not cover bad dynamic or just a bad singing voice.

Very few people can sing in perfect pitch, autotune is just used to clean up the intonation issues. It's just used to make it sound little bit better.

Yeah well perfect imperfection has a lot to be said for it.

Your point number 2 is very very subjective because you're saying 'bad singing voice' in terms of tonal quality other than being in tune or not. You could autotune bob dylan and he'd still have that annoying voice for instance.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Yeah well perfect imperfection has a lot to be said for it.

Your point number 2 is very very subjective because you're saying 'bad singing voice' in terms of tonal quality other than being in tune or not. You could autotune bob dylan and he'd still have that annoying voice for instance.

But see, Bob Dylan's voice fits the type of music he does. If your voice doesn't fit the style of music, it won't sound right no matter how much autotune you use.
Quote by NothingRocks
But see, Bob Dylan's voice fits the type of music he does. If your voice doesn't fit the style of music, it won't sound right no matter how much autotune you use.

This is true and his voice is very love it or hate it, even though i do admit it fits his music. Autotune does not change the vocal tone , it's still taking out too much of how the person sounds for me though, and i'd be annoyed if it was being used live too.

edit: for instance, one of my bandmembers used autotune on a part of a song in the chorus, because he was mixing that particular song and claimed it was too bad to listen to without. I've got an alternate mix of the song (which i prefer anyway for a few unrelated reasons) which has no autotune on the chorus and the out of tuneness doesn't bother me. I was annoyed that he used it, because the fact is if my singer can't sing that chorus very well then that's just the way it is, and that's what the people will hear live.

Then again, it was his mix and if he really wants to start doing that he can, but like i say i think it's a shit thing to do and it's not fair to the fans to try to make it 'better' for the studio versions and then allow it to be 'bad' live. I don't think it is bad live but i didn't think it was bad anyway.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by Eastwinn
I think that's a vocoder

Yeah I know but it sounds similar.
sunbather is shit
If it's used as an effect, autotune isn't that bad, it fits in some electronic music very well.

As far as being a tool to correct the singer's pitch, I understand that it's been used for years and years even by good singers who need a perfect pitch for their studio recording. What I can't stand though is when it's extremely noticeable, like in recent pop music. It sounds so lazy. Every time I hear that inhuman jump in pitch, they might as well just be saying "I spent 2 minutes in the studio on this song that someone else wrote for me and I'll be making millions for barely doing anything".
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Jun 19, 2011,
i say autotune is worse imo because people that use it sing out of tune and use autotune to "sound good" for stupid people