I'm not enough of a klutz to actually break the truss rod myself, but somewhere along the way, the bolt at the end of the truss rod in my Strat got broken by its previous owner (who was probably stupid enough to fool around with it). Long story short, it's toast, and I'm ticked.

I bought a used 2006 Fender Stratocaster HSS for $300 from a guy on eBay about a week ago. Looked at all the pictures, checked over the description...everything was fine. The seller had sold enough on eBay to get a good rep; he had a 100% positive feedback with almost a thousand items sold. Said, "Sure why not. What could go wrong this time?"

Got in in Thursday, then sent it directly to the music shop to get it set up. I get a call Saturday afternoon by the music shop saying that they were not able to adjust the truss rod because the bolt had broken off at the end. Using their magical guitar repairing skillz, however, they managed to adjust it by jamming an Allen wrench into the port/hole/thingamabob and doing their wizardry from there. But seeing as that was a temporary solution and the truss rod was quite loose (the neck is already bending back), this simply will not do.

I'm a bit miffed that they found this out AFTER they had done everything else to the guitar. I payed $50 for them to do a complete setup, after all. Not cheap, but with all expenses in mind, I would have paid more to take it elsewhere. Now I'm $50 in the hole.

I talked with the guys at the music shop. They said since truss rod replacement was so ridiculously expensive, it would be better to get a new neck. A shame, since the neck is in perfect shape otherwise.

I haven't yet sent the seller of the guitar an e-mail, but I plan to shortly. It was a "final sale" guitar, but the truss rod was not mentioned in the description at all, so I could definitely have basis to get it replaced or refunded by him IF I HAVE THE NECESSARY PROOF. My dad said to just get the music shop to redo the invoice on my setup and mention the defective truss rod.

TL;DR:
Guitar was bought from eBay with broken truss rod. I was not aware of this until I got it set up at a music shop. Now I have a guitar with a defective truss rod.

What do?
Send the guy a message on Ebay telling him the story. If hes really such a reputable seller he might give you your money back, or maybe get you a new neck. Thats about all you can do
Quote by Thrillz
Send the guy a message on Ebay telling him the story. If hes really such a reputable seller he might give you your money back, or maybe get you a new neck. Thats about all you can do

Indeed, if he has 100% positive feedback he seems to care about his customers, or what his potential customers might think of him. I'm sure you can come to some agreement.
REGGIE