Im new on this forum also I didn't learn theory so I don't know the technical names of guitar parts or strings but I hope you can help me..

(Invalid img)

as you can see, one side of the nut is bigger than the other, I don't know if its related but, when I bend any of the slim strings, they grind, they make the correct sound but you can hear the wood or the plastic grind, also, the 2 first strings (slim ones) will always detune they go at a lower pitch, I keep tuning them until they simply break at some point, they only last like two days.

Just in case, I bought a new nut, its a black tusk 6060 I read it was for les pauls styles, so In case of replacement, how should I do it ?

(Invalid img)
The first nut actually looks fine. If you're having trouble with the thinner strings choking out when bending it's probably because either the truss rod as been tightened too much or because the bridge has been lowered too much. Epi LPs have a fretboard radius of something like 14" so there's no reason to have bends choking out like that unless the guitar has been set up very poorly.

As for strings going out of tune, that probably means you're not restringing the guitar correctly and you're not stretching the strings properly either. There's a sticky on this forum that tells you how to restring properly.

If you're set on replacing the nut then all you gotta do is make sure the old nut shelf is clean with no big lumps of glue or whatever so the new nut can go on flat. Put the new nut in without gluing it down and restring the guitar, take note of how high the action is at the lowest three frets. Then loosen the strings, take the nut out and lower the nut slots with a set of nut files until they're low enough for the action to be right at the first three frets, most precut nuts like that only need to have the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th string slots lowered by about 0.5mm. It may be that you don't need to cut the slots deeper at all. Once the slots are the right height then you should glue the nut in place using a very lgiht glue, the string tension helps hold the nut in place so you don't want or need to super glue it down. Basic PVC glue is often enough. You only want to put a tiny amount on, just enough to make sure it doesn't slide about. We're talking the absolute bare minimum amount of glue.
so, the nut installed on the guitar should look like the first picture ? the left side of the nut should be higher than the right side ? because I thought that was wrong and a guitar technician put some black tape under it so it'll be higher, also I do stretch and install the strings correctly, the problem comes when I play a lot, they start detuning but they don't move from the tunning machines, so if i keep tunning them, they'll just end breaking because i'm adding more and more tension without tunning results
Last edited by raygoza at Jun 19, 2011,
the nut looks fine to me...

basically everything grohl said seems right to me. although I would also add that if you play regularly, you probably need to be changing strings every 2 weeks, otherwise they will go hoplessly flat.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
The original nut looks about right to me, usually you'll want the action lower on the treble (thinner) strings and higher on the bass (thicker) strings.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
If your strings are detuning but aren't slipping in the tuners then that means you're just not letting them stretch out enough. Or you're applying too much pressure. If you're using thick strings then there's only so far they can be bent and if you push them past that they'll give in and break. Obviously with really thin strings they can also be broken easily if you force them too much.

Using tape as a shim to prop a nut up is a terrible idea. Whoever your tech is he's clueless. The new nut will be an improvement over the stock one simply because it's a better material but as far as the string height goes that stock one should be fine. Epiphone nuts are all made the same, that's one good thing about mass production guitars is that parts are worked out once and then every part is made to that exact spec so there's not actually much chance of a part being cut wrong. If there's a problem with an Epiphone it's usually because of a bad set up or bad restringing.
try rubbing a no2 pencil lead on the nut groves to lubricate the nut. Epi's have a bad "nut" problem and this is where 90% of tuning instability comes from.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate