Say you're in the Navy, enlisted as full-time, when you're not on the ship, where are you?

You ship out for 6 months at a time, come back for 6 months, go out 6 months, repeat, correct?

If I'm training to become a seal (which I know seals are stationed in Cali) how does that work if you're doing only that/ if you're doing that as a second job? Do they have the A school AT the seal base in Cali?

How do you work a job at the Navy AND go to A school simultaneously, I know it's possible but professionally, I'm just wondering how they would have that laid out for you? For instance, go to work 8 hours, clock out, go to school for 8 hours same day?

And just for the heck of it, if I'm only offered a position as an Undesignated, should I take it?

And while I'm at it, is going in as an E-1 acceptable either, or should I argue for an E-2?

Also, I live in Missouri, where the taxes are very high, should I put that i live somewhere else to avoid high taxes, and how bad are taxes btw, in terms of percentages?

Edit: There are variables so lets just say I enlist for 4 years and score a 61 for my AFQT.
Last edited by Dansieg at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by thebassiestbass
I cant imagine anyone in the pit is qualified to answer this

If there is, it'd be greatly appreciated.
You should probably ask a Navy recruiter or an officer who works with the SEALs about this. They'll probably have the best answers, although I do know there is some vets and men currently serving on here.

Although I don't imagine it would easy to do SEAL training and school simoltaneously. But i donno

EDIT: I do know Dreadnought is an active Army Ranger and Jackal is a vet, so they may be of some help

IFEELDUMBEDIT: You can probably sign up for A Navy ROTC program
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Jun 19, 2011,
You gotta be E-6 acceptable in order to be a designated officer without being shipped out for a minimum of at LEAST 3 months. But first you need a good result in your AFQT to be considered for that position you're gay with a good score minimum of 72 or above.
Quote by Dansieg
Say you're in the Navy, enlisted as full-time, when you're not on the ship, where are you?

You ship out for 6 months at a time, come back for 6 months, go out 6 months, repeat, correct?

1.) If I'm training to become a seal (which I know seals are stationed in Cali) how does that work if you're doing only that/ if you're doing that as a second job? Do they have the A school AT the seal base in Cali?

How do you work a job at the Navy AND go to A school simultaneously, I know it's possible but professionally, I'm just wondering how they would have that laid out for you? For instance, go to work 8 hours, clock out, go to school for 8 hours same day?

2.) And just for the heck of it, if I'm only offered a position as an Undesignated, should I take it?

3.) And while I'm at it, is going in as an E-1 acceptable either, or should I argue for an E-2?

4.) Also, I live in Missouri, where the taxes are very high, should I put that i live somewhere else to avoid high taxes, and how bad are taxes btw, in terms of percentages?

Edit: There are variables so lets just say I enlist for 4 years and score a 61 for my AFQT.

Well, I'm not in the Navy so I can only help you with so much, but here goes.

1.) You don't do a job AND training. Your training/A school will be your job until you're qualified for your rate.

2.) If you take an undesignated rate, you'll be sent to the fleet to do grunt work until the Navy finds a place to put you, and there's no promise that where it puts you will be somewhere spiffy. If you have the "the best job in the Navy is the one you've got" attitude, then by all means, go for it, but be aware you could very well get shafted.

3.) The higher rank you can come in as, the better. Not just for money purposes but because it will shorten the time it takes for you to get promoted. If you CAN go in as an E-2, then push for it and make it happen.

4.) If the Navy's anything like the Air Force, falsifying your home of record could come back to bite you in the ass. It's very difficult to change your home of record once it's been set, and when you get out of the service your home of record is where they ship all of your belongings.
Quote by metaldud536
You gotta be E-6 acceptable in order to be a designated officer without being shipped out for a minimum of at LEAST 3 months. But first you need a good result in your AFQT to be considered for that position you're gay with a good score minimum of 72 or above.

So what does that say about being Undesignated? Is it not so bad as people make it sound? I've been told never to accept being Undesignated but that was by people who began enlistment years ago.
Quote by Dansieg
So what does that say about being Undesignated? Is it not so bad as people make it sound? I've been told never to accept being Undesignated but that was by people who began enlistment years ago.

Every branch of the military has a handful of jobs that most would agree are really shitty. Since most people these days are joining the military with a guaranteed job, those spots are tough for Uncle Sam to fill. If you go in undesignated, chances are the Navy's going to find one of those jobs to put you in.
Quote by madbasslover
Well, I'm not in the Navy so I can only help you with so much, but here goes.

1.) You don't do a job AND training. Your training/A school will be your job until you're qualified for your rate.

2.) If you take an undesignated rate, you'll be sent to the fleet to do grunt work until the Navy finds a place to put you, and there's no promise that where it puts you will be somewhere spiffy. If you have the "the best job in the Navy is the one you've got" attitude, then by all means, go for it, but be aware you could very well get shafted.

So you don't GO IN as an Undesignated? Could I train/A School until a rate is available that I actually want?
Quote by Dansieg
So you don't GO IN as an Undesignated? Could I train/A School until a rate is available that I actually want?

Nope. You'll be sent to the fleet without a designated rate. You'll do grunt work until the Navy decides what to do with you. Once you go in undesignated, your career is more-or-less out of your hands and where you end up is completely at the mercy of the Navy.
What do I do to ensure that these things are in my hands and what not?

How do people go in with jobs already? Did they just score really well on the ASVAB?
Quote by Dansieg
What do I do to ensure that these things are in my hands and what not?

How do people go in with jobs already? Did they just score really well on the ASVAB?

You have to talk to your recruiter and make sure that the job you want is actually in your contract. I'm not sure exactly how different it is for the Navy, but for us you get the job in your initial enlistment contract and then you wait until the position is available before you ship out to basic training. Immediately after basic you get sent to your A school (we call it tech school in the Air Force).