Page 1 of 2
I sure have. Managed to finally get my hands on a Diezel to try, after hearing nothing but wonderful things about them. I believe it was a Diezel herbert, someone correct me if that model does not exist.

I just, didn't like it. The tone seemed shrill on the high end, but the lows were pretty nice. I guess I may just have to crank it to really hear how it sounds, as it was it was at bedroom level (I won't turn up in a store. Especially if I'm not buying it.)

So, what about you guys? Ever played a highly sought after amp/guitar and just, did not like it?

Also, played the newer S series,

Also didn't like it. Probably due to the bad setup it had, but it was gorgeous to look it. Body felt great.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

VHT Pitbull 100CL
Ibanez Steve Vai JEM (I've played a few of these and hated them all)
PRS Hollowbody Spruce
Fender SRV Signature
Genz-Benz El Diablo

Off the top of my head..
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Yeah, not really high end stuff, but like amps I had only heard good stuff about, sucked. Then the only thing I heard about them was bad stuff. Like I heard Line 6 Spiders were amazing and whatnot, so I bought one and it sucked! Thank God I'm finally getting rid of it Tuesday!
you're a stone fox
Quote by valennic
I sure have. Managed to finally get my hands on a Diezel to try, after hearing nothing but wonderful things about them. I believe it was a Diezel herbert, someone correct me if that model does not exist.

I just, didn't like it. The tone seemed shrill on the high end, but the lows were pretty nice. I guess I may just have to crank it to really hear how it sounds, as it was it was at bedroom level (I won't turn up in a store. Especially if I'm not buying it.)

evidently, that is not too uncommon with diezels. not because they're bad, but they are very revealing about any defects in your playing style (so the story goes anyway, i have never played one but that is what grisky said a few times).

i don't like high gain amps that much, regardless of quality. my buddies H&K triamp is very high end and i don't even like it 'non-high gain' channels.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
evidently, that is not too uncommon with diezels. not because they're bad, but they are very revealing about any defects in your playing style (so the story goes anyway, i have never played one but that is what grisky said a few times).

i don't like high gain amps that much, regardless of quality. my buddies H&K triamp is very high end and i don't even like it 'non-high gain' channels.

Well, maybe I'm too narcissistic to own a Diezel then

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Not too incredibly high end, but I hate anything Hammett. His amp has horrible, muddy gain, and his guitars just don't seem to yield results. My Schecter Solo 6 Rad sounds better through my Roland Cube than most of his shit.

Also, I don't like the Line 6 Spiders either. I have a 15w, and even for the price, it has no bottom end to it.
Soldano Hot Rod 100. I've heard they're very picky with speakers so that may have had something to do with it, but to me it just sounded bland and boring.
Dumble - any that I've tried seem to be too similar to Fender amos to justify the price tag.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
The one time I played an ES-335 I was massively disappointed. The neck and especially the fretboard just felt unfinished, like a piece of lumber.
REGGIE
The Diezels all have a tone of their own. It's never surprising to hear that people don't like it. I've played a lot of corksniffer amps that I didn't really enjoy. Matchless Independence was very disappointing. Wasn't a huge fan of the 3 Monkeys Grease Monkey either.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Although not high end I played a PRS 22 Custom through a Mesa Dual Rectifier (a friend's set up) and hated it.
The guitar felt professional enough in levels of craftsmanship, but the neck didn't feel right - although I'm mainly a Gibson player and prefer the '50s style neck.
That through the amp - it seemed, no matter what I set the EQ at to be far too bright, although it retained note deifinition remarkably well when cranked. It just seemed hard to get a decent tone. Played Mesa amps since and never had the same problem. I do tend to avoid PRS, though. Seem to homogenous and clinical for my taste.
all the time. that's why it's good to have optionz.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
yes, I've played through several Dr. Z's, and I've only liked a Maz 18 for a minute, since some guy EQed it to not be so trebly before i played it. It actually took a Little Big Muff quite well, but I just can never seem to EQ them right.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

I dunno know about being disappointed after trying high end stuff.

There's only 1 piece of boutique gear that I tried and ended up disappointed in, and that was the Empress Super Delay. For all the hype, I felt that the delay just sounded processed and sterile. It didn't feel lush to me at all.

On a different note. I think I don't end up disappointed because I tend to read up a lot about gear before and after the test, and really take all the comment into consideration.

I also give some benefit of doubt to the gear, in consideration of the fact that each piece will sound and react differently, hence you really can't expect it to fit your style like a T. I think a lot of disappointment comes from the fact that people tend to expect gear to somehow just magically suit them. When the fact of the matter is that when you try something new, you have to be prepared to find ways to make it work.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 19, 2011,
TS are you sure it wasnt the Bugera Sherbert?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
TS are you sure it wasnt the Bugera Sherbert?

Damn sure.

The thing had Diezel on the grill, had Herbert on the tag, and had those weird little flip switches to change the channel

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by LeakyFlask
The one time I played an ES-335 I was massively disappointed. The neck and especially the fretboard just felt unfinished, like a piece of lumber.

Sounds like a problem with Gibson quality control. I ordered a 335 and it came with file marks all over the fretboard, the finish bled into and discolored the binding, and the control knobs were all misaligned, and it just plain didn't feel right. I sent it back and they sent me a new one, MUCH better. Don't let a single lemon generalize the whole batch.
of course. there isnt really an amp that ive found that works for every single type of music. i typically go for a nice clean tone amp, and configure all of the tones i need from pedals, etc...i know i catch crap from it but i am a fender guy at the moment, atleast for my recent projects. nothing compares to fender cleans.

now if i were doing rock, metal, etc...id definetly be in for orange or mesa, but for now, fender is my baby.
Quote by zachss3
nothing compares to fender cleans.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Every time I try cleans on an amp I compare it to any of the Twins. I'm disappointed every time.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Carr Rambler Amp
Gibson Les Paul VOS R0

The Carr was way too sterile for me. The Gibson......well, it's a Gibson.
Quote by thehikingdude
Carr Rambler Amp
Gibson Les Paul VOS R0

The Carr was way too sterile for me. The Gibson......well, it's a Gibson.

What's wrong with Gibsons?

I don't understand the hate for them. Mine have great build quality, are finished uncredibly well and handle pretty much anything I play on them.

Sure, there's some that don't quite make the grade but any guitar I have ever bought I have a/b'd against the closest thing available in the shop and had differing results.
i think demoing something for a few minutes/hour can't really give you enough of its flavor to really reach a verdict on being disappointed or not.

i played a Soldano ROS 2x12 combo and was left unimpressed, but again i was on it for like 15 minutes, and IMO to really get an amp at its best tone it takes days/weeks of minor tweaks to get it to sound ideal so who knows what i would think after a few days of tweaking.

also i have been relatively impressed with quite a few of Way Huge's products, just didn't stand up to match other's opinions. although the green rhino seemed quite nice.

i tend to buy gear whether i like it or not only when i can break even or make money on the flip, which is 99% of the time (by the way i figured i came ahead $6,000 on trades/flips last year alone), and just see if i can grow into it. if i can and i like it i keep it, if i don't, i flip it or return it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Slap-happy

I don't understand the hate for them. Mine have great build quality, are finished uncredibly well and handle pretty much anything I play on them.

Sure, there's some that don't quite make the grade but any guitar I have ever bought I have a/b'd against the closest thing available in the shop and had differing results.

i am going to have to agree with this too, i think i own 6 or 7 Gibsons and have had no issues with any of them, except for one 1980 sonex with the broken headstock that was professionally repaired i paid $200 for. but that has nothing to do with Gibsons QC. i have two 2009 gibbys, one 2004, and one 2006 and two 1980, and i think i am missing one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Slap-happy

hikingdude is a prs lifer.

i dunno I get that way too...after playing 25.5 or 25 inch scale for a while...24.75 does feel like someone screwed up and forgot the rest of the neck.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
It's quite simple. A $5,000 guitar should NOT have file marks on the binding/fretboard. The same guitar should stay in tune for more than one song. And the very same guitar shouldn't need a new nut, new pickups, new pots and new caps to get an acceptable sound out of it. Again, keep in mind that all of these comments are about a $5,000 Custom Shop guitar. If you read around on other forums, sadly this is the norm. Someday things will change, at least I hope they do!!! I really want a decent Les Paul dammit!

Last edited by thehikingdude at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by thehikingdude
It's quite simple. A $5,000 should NOT have file marks on the binding/fretboard. The same guitar should stay in tune for more than one song. And the very same guitar shouldn't need a new nut, new pickups, new pots and new caps to get an acceptable sound out of it. Again, keep in mind that all of these comments are about a $5,000 Custom Shop guitar. If you read around on other forums, sadly this is the norm. Someday things will change, at least I hope they do!!! I really want a decent Les Paul dammit!

Like I said, not problems I have encountered with any of my guitars.
Quote by Slap-happy

Kudos to you. Consider yourself lucky.

EDIT: If the CEO of Gibson weren't investing so much money into the Firebird X (which has already been panned even before it's release) we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Last edited by thehikingdude at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by Slap-happy

+1 and none of mine are CS.

you seem to be a PRS lifer as AM said. so

as far as i am concerned i am not a fan of PRS. IMO 99% of them are to gaudy and just flat ugly. i haven't been a big fan of the ones i have played either.

bottom line, if you don't like something, don't buy it. its not like there are only two high end guitar manufacures.

as a matter of fact, IMO Suhr is better than PRS in terms of everything including quality. i have only played a couple, but they are amazing instruments.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Any SG I've played, from rinky-dink Epiphone Specials to Gibson Customs. I never liked the weight distribution on them. I'd rather have the slab of tree trunk of a Les Paul or any Tele. Meh.

Also, the 2004 American Strat was a load of garbage compared to my 1983 one. I sold it to my boss a month later.

As for amps, I haven't been around anything too high end. I played some Mesa Boogie 8 years ago at a talent show, and all I remember was it sounding alright and playing so hard, the blood was still on the guitar when I sold it two years later.
I am a fake mountain.
I know its not really high end compared to some of the other amps mentioned, but the first time I played a 6505+ i was not impressed at all. Over time I began to like the lead channel more and more. I hated the Mesa Mark IV for a while. After spending some time around it I found how to make it to my tatse, its now one of my favorite amps on the market. I think given some time a lot of high end amps can be tweaked to a persons liking, which is definitly not true with a lot of cheaper amps.
What I have stated about Gibson's QC is a known fact. If you want to ignore it, that is your choice. There's no reason for me to prove a fact, research it for yourself.

Gibson even went over to the Epiphone factory not long ago to try to figure out why their QC is better. Ever wondered why Gibson has been rated as the worst company in the US to work for - by Gibson employees. At least they have finally seen the light and are now in the process of hiring some new QC folks. Let's hope they can make a difference. I don't make this shit up, I read about it and see it - every freaking day. I've been playing guitar for 40 years, it's not just some hobby of mine.

If you still think Gibson doesn't have a Quality Control problem after doing just a tiny bit of research, then you must be wearing blinders. For those of you that have well built Gibsons, I'm very happy for you. Seriously, I won't give up!!!

I am not a PRS Lifer as has been stated. I just prefer quaility gear. I've bought 2 Gibson's/1 Epiphone over the last 3 years and tried VERY hard to like them. It didn't work out for me. I will continue to try, as I do want to OWN A GIBSON. More than you know.
Quote by thehikingdude

do you think we haven't heard this time and time again? common.

posting google searches that lead to forums. yea.

i read all of the glass door stuff two years ago when this was all going on. a lot of that has gotten better, i dont' know if their employees are any happier, but just went gibby shopping when i walked out with an Ibby (odd i know), i played six or seven of them and didn't run into a bad one. all were 2011, with the exception of one 2010 model.

also you posted a CS guitar, AFAIK they are made at a different facility, in a total different department.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do you think we haven't heard this time and time again? common.

Then why act like you haven't?

also you posted a CS guitar, AFAIK they are made at a different facility, in a total different department.

Shouldn't a CS have better QC? What are you implying? I don't want to guess.

I have no more to say. The OP asked a question and I answered it. I'm outta here.
i haven't played a gibson for a while now but when i was into going out to stores and trying stuff just for the fun of it i did run into many very mediocre guitars with the rare gem here and there.

not sure if anything has changed these days but a couple of years ago there were many terrible gibson guitars on the market. That being said, when a gem is found it really is brilliant to play. not much compares to a nice les paul.
I've played several mesa dual rectifiers at university because a few of the studios there have them (most have orange AD30s), and i've tried to like them, but i just don't. they are just not my kind of thing, and not only that they have far too many controls for my liking - i like simple things that just sound good straight away, because giving me too many tone-tweaking options just leads to me doing more tone-tweaking than actual playing.

As for guitars, the one i was most disappointed with that i can remember was a particular 1966 gibson SG special. it was, without a doubt, an excellent guitar, but it just wasn't for me. there was nothing wrong with it except maybe that it felt a bit delicate, but i just didn't really "connect" with it, and i certainly wouldn't have paid £2k for it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by thehikingdude
It's quite simple. A $5,000 guitar should NOT have file marks on the binding/fretboard. The same guitar should stay in tune for more than one song. And the very same guitar shouldn't need a new nut, new pickups, new pots and new caps to get an acceptable sound out of it. Again, keep in mind that all of these comments are about a $5,000 Custom Shop guitar. If you read around on other forums, sadly this is the norm. Someday things will change, at least I hope they do!!! I really want a decent Les Paul dammit!
Holy crap Batman. The fact that something like that could get past inspection is disgraceful. Those file marks are so obvious. There's no real excuse for that shoddy a quality control.
How far the mighty can fall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've never been fond of any of the Mesa Recto's I've played. Something about them just didn't hit home with me.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Page 1 of 2