Page 1 of 2
So my girlfriend and i are looking to move somewhere next year in Europe or the U.S. She is American and im Scottish, so suggestions from either area are good.

Criteria

weather -normal minimum 15 degrees celsius max 40 degrees celsius (scotland is too cold for her and i cant take too much heat!) few natural disasters!

close to a big city

good schools-we are both looking to do our masters degrees

cheap living costs

good economy-i run a music business and she runs a dance studio and would want to do this elsewhere too, after getting a dayjob first

good lifestyle and culture 'liberal' as she says.

good transport system bike friendly

good art scene. i play prog, jazz, and flamenco, so need good musicians around! we enjoy a lot of different art forms.

friendly people

thanks
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Jun 19, 2011,
Danbury, Connecticut.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
This is going to have a lot of different options.

But as for the economy, it's pretty rough anywhere right now, I think, though it does seem to be starting to trend upwards here (Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio tri-state area).

Louisville fits everything on there quite well, but it gets to about 33 C here sometimes during summer. I'd say check out the Northwest, like Portland, Seattle, somewhere up there. Almost any big city in the U.S. will be relatively close to some good schools.

I think you can find good things almost anywhere you go. You'll have a hard time escaping the heat though, almost everywhere in the U.S. breaks 30 C during summer, though I think the Northwest is probably the most like your climate, but it will be more expensive than a lot of the places in the midwest.
Waterloo, Ontario in Canada is great if you dont mind the weather. Good economy, 3 world class uni's in the area, and tonnes of artists and musicians, close to Toronto too. Decent public transit (getting trains next year) and its cheap enough (minus taxes)

The weather really does blow though... -30 C in the winter and edging up to 40 C (with humidex) in the summer. Theres about a two week window in the autumn where its perfect...

Man, I should go into tourism or something
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by Dirge Humani
Minimum 15C? Pansy.

we had a -15 degree winter where im at, so im cool with the cold temps.
Florida sucks ass. Don't come here until you're old.

EDIT:
Some of the top 10% schools are here, but out-of-state tuition will kill you.
While not the "hottest" numerical number, the humidity can be atrocious.
Lots of young liberals, lots of old conservatives. More old than young.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
Last edited by thepoopkid3 at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
we had a -15 degree winter where im at, so im cool with the cold temps.

Brah that's not that cold.

OT: Seattle sounds like it'd fit.
Chicago is awesome, but it's pretty expensive iirc. It has two of the best unis in the country too. Worth checking out.
Last edited by Not_You at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by Heylo12
Waterloo, Ontario in Canada is great if you dont mind the weather. Good economy, 3 world class uni's in the area, and tonnes of artists and musicians, close to Toronto too. Decent public transit (getting trains next year) and its cheap enough (minus taxes)

The weather really does blow though... -30 C in the winter and edging up to 40 C (with humidex) in the summer. Theres about a two week window in the autumn where its perfect...

Man, I should go into tourism or something

we wouldnt move to canada, she says its like a loft apartment over a really great party,
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
we wouldnt move to canada, she says its like a loft apartment over a really great party,

I always thought of it as a boring hat, but I like your girlfriend's way of thinking.
Selvin, Indiana.
Also, for some reason a ton of people keep coming here to Kentucky. Place sucks, stay away.
Flagstaff Arizona, good skiing town with a college and lots of bars.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
So my girlfriend and i are looking to move somewhere next year in Europe or the U.S. She is American and im Scottish, so suggestions from either area are good.

Criteria

weather -normal minimum 15 degrees celsius max 40 degrees celsius (scotland is too cold for her and i cant take too much heat!) few natural disasters!
Pacific Northwest doesn't get extreme weather. It's pretty rainy. The only danger is that we're due for a big earthquake.

close to a big city
Portland and Seattle are the two biggest cities I can think of
good schools-we are both looking to do our masters degrees
Dunno much about that
cheap living costs
Maybe live just outside the main cities, within the metro area
good economy-i run a music business and she runs a dance studio and would want to do this elsewhere too, after getting a dayjob first
Dunno much about this
good lifestyle and culture 'liberal' as she says.
Portland is pretty damn liberal and alternative, I assume Seattle is similar
good transport system
Portland has an excellent public transportation system
good art scene. i play prog, jazz, and flamenco, so need good musicians around! we enjoy a lot of different art forms.
Portland is known for art and music and all that jazz
friendly people
I guess you could say that.

thanks

I from Portland, so I focused more on that because that is what I know.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
should add preferably east coast due to friends and family in europe and nyc, but would consider california.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Harlem in New York, Detroit in Michigan, or Baltimore in Maryland are probably your best bets I'd say.

this. but i think detroit has the slight edge if you are tryin to land a good job.
Definitely Baltimore. They have a whole show called The Wire dedicated to it. You don't get a show unless you're a cool city.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by turncoat60%
this. but i think detroit has the slight edge if you are tryin to land a good job.

she said she wouldnt move back to detroit
Quote by Xiaoxi
Definitely Baltimore. They have a whole show called The Wire dedicated to it. You don't get a show unless you're a cool city.

That reminds me...

^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
oh dude so much has changed since then. so much cleaner, economy is booming, people are so nice, especially downtown detroit. i would definitely reconsider if i were you.
Quote by turncoat60%
oh dude so much has changed since then. so much cleaner, economy is booming, people are so nice, especially downtown detroit. i would definitely reconsider if i were you.

Yea seriously. It has a booming economy. I'm moving there next year after I graduate. You'd be a fool not to.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Perhaps Austin? I'm not sure how the weather is but I've never heard any complaints.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Boston
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by turncoat60%

sounds a good candidate then.

what about european options?
Quote by Kylianvb
Amsterdam.

Do it.

Amsterdam gets freezing during the winter, last time I was there it was -5 degrees.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Amsterdam gets freezing during the winter, last time I was there it was -5 degrees.

Not really that extreme though, so I figured I'd throw it out there. -8 is pretty much the lowest I've ever encountered in my 17 years of living here. We usually get like 2 weeks of snow a year anyways, the rest of the year it's way more moderate.

Oh, and pretty much everyone here speaks english, which could be convenient.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Quote by CoreysMonster

thats not a big deal actually we could cope with that

are there many english speaking schools in amsterdam?
Florida! DO IT!

But going off what you have stated, Id say Chicago.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
thats not a big deal actually we could cope with that

are there many english speaking schools in amsterdam?

Universities and such are often bilingual, in fact, some courses are only available in English.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Page 1 of 2