I've been playing guitar for a while now but lately I've realized that one of the major reasons I can't play as fast and as cleanly as possible is because when I'm playing (especially when I play gallops and tremelo pick) my pick moves, causing more and more of my thumb to cover it.

I hold my pick normally as demonstrated in various videos and articles. Anyway any suggestions on how to stop my pick from sliding/moving in my hand while playing?

I hope this makes sense! Thank you!
Quote by CFHPantera
my pick moves, causing more and more of my thumb to cover it.

I hope this makes sense! Thank you!

Same thing happens to me except it my thumb covers less of it and I eventually drop it. Most of the time this occurs while strumming hard chords.
try and focus on the amount of tension you use in your hand, and the amount of tension you put on the string. its a hard to maintain the balance between minimal tension and actually playing. also even though you might be holding it right, your technique could be wrong. what i mean by this is that you might be picking to much with your elbow, or not incorporating enough finger movement to keep it fluid. try and focus on the angle in which you pick.

if its any help, change your pick to something thicker and smoother (a bit more jazzy) which will ease up your picking a bit.

EDIT: also if you think about it logically, the pick slips up because there is an upward force (caused by downward striking) so once again try and focus on the angle you strike.
Last edited by jsync at Jun 20, 2011,
Some picks are designed for reducing grip slippage. Maybe worth investigating.
You are probably experienceing what I call pick torque, which is basically a bouncing of the pick from the string and usually results is losing grip and accuracy.

If thats the case, Id look at 3 things.

1. Grip tension- The amount of force you grip the pick with.

You shouldnt need special "anti slip" picks. What I would suggest is getting some Dunlop Delrins. Whatever thickness you use is fine, but the main thing is these picks are slick as snot, so if you arent gripping them right, they will slip. This will make it an extra challenge to train your right hand to hold the pick just hard enough to maintain a good grip. One thing you could try to help this is to grip the pick with the thumb pulled back slightly so the knuckle is elevated. This will cement the pick in your grip a bit and also aid in rotating the pick slightly so get the angle across the strings. Look at a few videos of Andy James on youtube to get an idea.

2. Hand tension- Some would call this anchoring.

Your right hand shouldnt be fixed to the bridge of the guitar. It should move freely up and down as you change strings. You can apply light pressure on the bridge when palm muting but it really should never need to be more than light.

3. Pick angle- The angle your pick cuts the strings, but also the position of yor right hand as it relates to the string you are picking.

This is really a product of point 1 and 2 together, so what you are looking for is maintaining a good pick angle across the strings while being able to move your right hand up and down as needed to keep a consistant position between your hand and the string you are picking.
I use picks with a grippy surface and I hold the pick between my thumb and the side of my index. It solved the problem for me.
The surface of the pick shouldn't be a problem. You should hold a pick 2/3 of it with your fingers. Don't use finger joints when moving/playing with the pick.

The pick together with forefinger and thumb remains steady. You move only wrist (without elbow).
Don't worry if your elbow moves a little bit. This is normal. It doesn't mean you shoud never move it. Sometimes you should play with elbow also. It depends on technique.

Anyways, don't use to elastic pick. I recommend at least 1mm (from solid material).