I love the sound of the dual rectifier, but I can't afford it right now. Are there any cheaper amps that sound similar? I can't go past $500-$600. I'm willing to go used.

Thanks
A used Dual Rectifier.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
What, and set the house on fire?

I doubt the TriRec is available in the states... those mongrels won't want to bother with a court case with Mesa.

In any case, the Triple Recto sounds quite a little different from the Dual Recto.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I can't find a used dual rec that cheap. Are there any cheaper amps that sound close to it?
The honest answer? You've probably heard this one before, so stop me if you have.

Nothing sounds like a dual recto, other than a dual recto.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah I know that I won't get anything really close, but I at least want something similar. So far the 333xl is the closest I've heard to it. Any other suggestions?
i hear the b-52 at100 gets in the ballpark
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Neither a XXX (333) or a JSX (333XL) are anything like a Rectifier. Completely different beasts. I mean sure they have some similarities, but pretty much every amp has some similarity to another.

You have to get a Rec to have a Rec. They are a very unique and distinct beast.

That said, you can get a used one for about $900, if you're patient. Not too much more than your current budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Bugera 333/333xl will probably get you the closest for what you want to spend new. But if you go used look for a Mesa Dual calliber they are the pre-rectofire model and sound very simmilar you can pick which model fits you best they have combos and head versions.

You could also get a small tube head and a AMT R1 pedal to use as your preamp. It is basicaly a Rectofire preamp in a pedal size housing. The pedals are @$150
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Neither a XXX (333) or a JSX (333XL) are anything like a Rectifier. Completely different beasts. I mean sure they have some similarities, but pretty much every amp has some similarity to another.

That said, you can get a used one for about $900, if you're patient. Not too much more than your current budget.

yes they are diff than rectos, but the XXX was soposed to be a Triple recto clone, so that would put the 333 closer than the 333xl.
just my .02
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Bugera Trirec isn't available anywhere yet anyways. It hasn't bin released.

And the Bugera bursting into flames joke is seriously getting old.

A used Dual Rec itself is pretty much the only way you can get the Dual Rec tone.

The Peavey XXX / Bugera 333 is supposed Tri Rec clone, but the the tri recs sound a bit different from the Dual Rec anyways. Close, but not the same.

You could also try getting a used Eleven Rack / Pod HD. The Rack nails the Rectifier tone very well. The Pod HD comes close, but they sound and are tweaked in a different way.
Quote by Syriel
And the Bugera bursting into flames joke is seriously getting old.

Maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that I think that Bugera are basically stealing from other amp companies.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that I think that Bugera are basically stealing from other amp companies.

There is a little truth to this, but every amp maker copys/clones/hot rods other amps layouts. Almost every early amp was a copy of an RCA circut. 5150's are SLO wannabes, Mesa Started as hot rodded Fender Princeton's, Marshall copied Fenders amps. So altough you have a valad point, at the same time it's not valad.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ragingkitty
They offer *essentially* the exact same amps for cheaper. I say more power to them. That's how market competition works. It's good that Bugera exists.

Take generic clothes, cereals, sodas, etc for example. They're literally the exact same thing as the originals. The only real difference is that they don't overprice their products, making real people with normal jobs able to actually buy them comfortably. Sometimes they come with slight flaws (sometimes, not usually), but then again, so do the originals.

A lot of the amps you've played are probably clones or at least based off of existing amps from other companies used without permission anyway. Even if you don't realize it.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Offworld92

+1

Go with this advice.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Robbgnarly
But if you go used look for a Mesa Dual calliber they are the pre-rectofire model and sound very simmilar you can pick which model fits you best they have combos and head versions.

No they aren't.

The DC series came out after the Rectos and are a part of the Mark family of amps. They sound absolutely nothing like a Recto.

Seriously, aside from the Bugera clone, the only amp that sounds similar to a Recto is the Bogner Uberschall, and it's much more expensive, and I personally don't like it nearly as much as a 2 channel. No, a XXX/JSX/333/333XL, will not get you similar tones, they are about as much of a clone as a Recto is to an SLO, they might share similar characteristics, like all American voiced amps do, but that's really the extent of the matter. $600, it's more than feasible to pick up a Mesa Rect-O-Verb or Trem-O-Verb combo. Hell, many people will even tell you that the ToV was the best Mesa every made.

P.S. The ONLY reason people say the B-52 AT-100 is the "poor mans Recto," is because it has Rectifiers in it. They don't sound anywhere close.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ragingkitty

Not trying to be a douche but... *deep breath*

Marshall JTM - Stolen from Fender Bassman
Orange Amps - Basically budget Matamps with different logos and tolex.
Matchless DC30 - Stolen from Vox AC30 (added a midrange control)
Peavey Butcher (original) - Stolen from Marshall JCM800
Peavey 5150 and Mesa Boogie DR - Stolen from Soldano SLO (both companies were sued and changed their designs)

Need I go on? Amp companies steal from each other, and so do guitar companies. I've quoted the most revered of the "stolen" amp designs that I can think of.

I like what Bugera's doing, and the fact that they've upped their QC since all those peoples' houses burnt down...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Robbgnarly
There is a little truth to this, but every amp maker copys/clones/hot rods other amps layouts. Almost every early amp was a copy of an RCA circut. 5150's are SLO wannabes, Mesa Started as hot rodded Fender Princeton's, Marshall copied Fenders amps. So altough you have a valad point, at the same time it's not valad.

Quote by Ayses
They offer *essentially* the exact same amps for cheaper. I say more power to them. That's how market competition works. It's good that Bugera exists.

A lot of the amps you've played are probably clones or at least based off of existing amps from other companies used without permission anyway. Even if you don't realize it.

Hey, one can know it, but still disagree with their approach to the whole business model.

I don't agree with the whole "market competition" bit tho due to Bugera's approach to business, but I don't want to go into this rehashed argument again, as this is not the topic at hand.

Quote by Shinozoku
Need I go on? Amp companies steal from each other, and so do guitar companies. I've quoted the most revered of the "stolen" amp designs that I can think of.

I like what Bugera's doing, and the fact that they've upped their QC since all those peoples' houses burnt down...

Again, rehashing an argument, if copying leads to innovation, then I'd support Bugera. However, all they've done is copy without innovating. Hence, no matter how successful they are, they'll still depend on other companies. Under the hypothetical situation that they've copied all the amps in the world? Then what? No more new Bugera copies?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 20, 2011,
the fact is...

a dual rec costs about 2k...and given what's in them and how they are constructed the profit margins are razor thin already.

i'd hate to think about the long term reliability of a copy made with even cheaper materials and shoddier worksmanship.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Shinozoku
Not trying to be a douche but... *deep breath*

Marshall JTM - Stolen from Fender Bassman
Orange Amps - Basically budget Matamps with different logos and tolex.
Matchless DC30 - Stolen from Vox AC30 (added a midrange control)
Peavey Butcher (original) - Stolen from Marshall JCM800
Peavey 5150 and Mesa Boogie DR - Stolen from Soldano SLO (both companies were sued and changed their designs)

-JTM is completely different from the bassman. Based off it? yes. Stolen? no
-iirc Matamp commissioned Orange (or orange approached matamp). Orange has since changed the design quite a bit while matamp produces the same amps.
-Butcher/VTM is a hot-rodded JCM800, nearly every amp manufacturer has a hot-rodded JCM type amp.

Before you start claiming companies stole from each other check your facts a bit. Companies borrow ideas and modify designs but rarely is an amp design outright stolen.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
-iirc Matamp commissioned Orange (or orange approached matamp). Orange has since changed the design quite a bit while matamp produces the same amps.
-Butcher/VTM is a hot-rodded JCM800, nearly every amp manufacturer has a hot-rodded JCM type amp.

Before you start claiming companies stole from each other check your facts a bit. Companies borrow ideas and modify designs but rarely is an amp design outright stolen.

Thanks for saying this. i was going to say something but i couldn't be bothered. I'll add that the DC-30 is based on the AC30 but is its own beast.

Also the Bugera BC-30 neither copies or improves on the DC-30, it just uses its great name to trick people into thinking they are buying something they are not. IMO that is not cool.
Quote by joe_k
Thanks for saying this. i was going to say something but i couldn't be bothered. I'll add that the DC-30 is based on the AC30 but is its own beast.

Also the Bugera BC-30 neither copies or improves on the DC-30, it just uses its great name to trick people into thinking they are buying something they are not. IMO that is not cool.

Obviously some of Bugera's practices are sketchy, but a small change can make a huge difference in tone, throw in a few extra resistors and you have a completely different animal sometimes. Saying a Marshall JTM is a ripoff of the Bassman is like saying the vypyr is a ripoff of the spider because they both use transistors.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
I thought the Vypyr tube was closwer to the Dual Rec sound than the POD HD. At high volumes the vypyr wont compare to the dual rec, but honestly it may be the best you can I do. I havnt tried the Axe Fx but it may come the closest, but for the money for it you might as well buy the real thing.
The Bugera 6260/6262's clean channel sounds nothing like the ones it copies
The Tri Rec has a variable power setting like Blackstar;s Series One, the Recto can do 50/100 or 50/150.
The Infinium tech is also new, Orange's version hasnt been released yet so it cant really count as stealing.
Not just that, all their amps sound similar to what they are copying but they dont sound the same. See fearedse's 6260/5150 comparison, the 5150 seems to have more presence and less bass than the 6260.
The 333/XL are very dark sludgy sounding amps with lots of low end, whereas the amps they tried copying are very bright sounding. Wherever the XXX is described, its described as beight whereas the 333 is described as bassy.
Doesnt sound like outright copying, though I'll admit their marketing is shameless
Just an opinion.
Bugera's marketing of making similiar amps / copies is fine, but them naming it in the way that you're SURE to find out what it's trying to clone is pretty down right stupid. If they named them in a way that it sounded like originals, I'm sure no one would really be bashing them this much right now, and people would just accept it as a budget tube amp.

They're great amps IMO. It's just sad that you can't boast at everyone that you have a Bugera, because pretty much everyone familiar with amps know that they're just copies, and amp elitists would call you a retard for buying a clone.

I know they have a huge following of begginers who think by getting a clone they can get the exact tone as high end gear / intermediate players with a low budget for gear, and I know a couple professional players use them as backup amps. But instead of being able to show off to people who know what amps are that you have a Bugera, you have to be ashamed of having one most of the time.

Quote by robertito696

I was going off of what I had heard and read up on. I probably did get a few facts wrong, and that's my bad. From what I remember though, the Butcher WAS a copy of the 800 circuit, and Marshall lit a little fire under them, so they added the dip switches to hot-rod it and it became the VTM.

Yeah, Orange commissioned Matamp and Matamp basically made those amps with Orange's name for a while. What you said is right though.

Either way, it took a few of those companies a while to make their own refinements.

Bugera, however, never approached their advertising as being a whole new original thing (Soul of valves, etc. aside). They are blatantly advertising themselves as a budget alternative to the more expensive amps out there.

From what I can tell they're accomplishing exactly what they set out to do and they aren't trying to be shady about it.

"Tone that really hits the MARK"
"TRIPLE RECTIFIED tone!"

EDIT: And fire hazards notwithstanding, they HAVE addressed some problems in their copies that are frequently brought up, as stated a couple of posts ago. Better cleans on the 5150 clone, darker tone on the 333, etc.

EDIT2: I wonder if Bugera knows how bad they totally trolled the guitar world Any way, to address the threadstarter's totally jacked topic, save up a bit more for a used Recto or look into the Bugera TriRec if at all possible. Because the TriRec will SOUND SIMILAR. That is one of the qualifications in the first post.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly

Your point. It is

VALAD

Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
if you are going to go with a bugera, hold out for the sherbert.

otherwise, i'd say just save for a used dual rec.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Yet Ceriatone makes Marshall clones and no one bashes them?

Its all about consumer and market perception. People just do not like being lied to, or supporting dishonesty.

When you're upfront about selling a DIY clone. People know what they are getting into and the market knows exactly what they are doing.

Like Syriel said:
"Bugera's marketing of making similiar amps / copies is fine, but them naming it in the way that you're SURE to find out what it's trying to clone is pretty down right stupid"

People hate it when companies think their consumers to be hare-brained. People like to know what they are getting into and the companies they are supporting to be honest to them.

Quote by Shinozoku
EDIT: And fire hazards notwithstanding, they HAVE addressed some problems in their copies that are frequently brought up

True, but given their track record with new products, would you honestly be 100% comfortable diving into the new amps when they are released. To me, they've managed to successfully equate bad QC with the brand name. Not that I think its a bad thing for a company with shady ethics.

Quote by Shinozoku
EDIT2: I wonder if Bugera knows how bad they totally trolled the guitar world

They probably don't care as they're probably laughing to the bank.

Quote by Shinozoku
Because the TriRec will SOUND SIMILAR. That is one of the qualifications in the first post.

True, if he was looking for a triple recto, which does sound quite a tad different from the dual. That said, on a budget, beggars can't be choosers.

Honestly, just save up for the real thing. Like Syriel said, you can get the real deal and be proud about it. Or get a copy and live with the constant reminder that you only got a copy. Its really up to you what you want to do.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i know a place where the word ceriatone is worse off than bugera.

TS - save up, you're worth it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
a used 2 Channel Dual Rec in the states is what $1000 or so??

save up an extra $400 and get one, you wont regret it

the only amps i've found that sound anything like a Dual Rec are the Bogner Uberschall and the Framus Cobra (only slightly but had a wiff of recto about it) and they are both over $2500 possibly even $3000?? you aren't going to get that sound cheap, and if its the only sound that will do then get saving, that being said its definitely worth it. i both my Rectos
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.