do you remember any specific time in your life when you developed significantly at guitar? as in went from being mediocre to feeling good about your playing (no matter how long that took).

how old were you? is there any specific event (song, training, an experience etc.) that you specifically remember?
Learning the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine = life for me complete....
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
The only times that I notice I got better are duaring shows. I can practice my ass off and ill notice a significant difference only while performing
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

i had a huge increase in skill about a year ago then i kind of plateaued and am kind of still there, well im increasing slowly.

I think the thing which has mede me feel better about my playing is more so the compliments i get from people since playing in a band and i guess generally playing guitar to a few more people which has more or less reassured my skill level that i am in fact better than i think i am.

.. that sounds really up my self but whatever...
surprisingly, this happens to me a lot of times when i play guitar for the first time in a few days. back when guitar was my main instrument, i used to play all the time, but these days i spend much more time on banjo and synth, so when i pick up a guitar, it's a lot more refreshing and so i am able to play better than when i force myself to play.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Joey-Tribiani
The only times that I notice I got better are duaring shows. I can practice my ass off and ill notice a significant difference only while performing

This
I do recall this kind of stuff happening. I think it happened each time I joined a band. I sort of fumbled along at first, it being my first time playing that style in a band setting. Then a wave of competence shot through me and I got awesome again.

Yeah, I've been trying to learn the Sweet Child 'O Mine solo for months but haven't been able to get it. I've been playing three and a half years. When I started it, I could play sixteenth notes at maybe 60 beats per minutes most. I've now got it up to about 100. My speed improved just so quickly. Pretty much in about two weeks.
It's kind of the opposite. I don't remember the points in when I finally got something down... I just remember sucking really bad at first.

Like sweeping.... that first day when I sat down with all those tutorial videos and practiced slowly and slowly and still could not get it down. I was so discouraged. It was an awful feeling
When I was about 16 and I joined my first band - it drove me to challenge myself a lot more with guitar. I'd sit and go out of my way to learn things that were above my skill level. And I developed a lot as a player. I went from a pretty mediocre player to a decent guitarist.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Less than a year ago when I learned Under A Glass Moon, at least until the sweep tapping part.

The sense of accomplishment when I nailed the parts before the solo.

Then I learned Erotomania. I remembered I was stuck at the part after the first solo for a month, then I took the time to learn the subsequent parts during Lunar New Year (It's tradition to sleep very late on the first day of Lunar New Year) up till 4 in the morning.

Felt pretty good.
When I first started- not being able to play to being able to play is a huge difference.
Apart from that, recently I've got into Vai and A7X and I've found that my soloing has got better, and I learned to sweep pick from playing afterlife
Whenever I come back from holiday or a period away from guitar I'm always pretty chuffed about my abilities.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Nope. I was too impatient so I quit playing guitar about 4-5 years ago.

Keep meaning to get back into it as I've developed a love for blues now. John Lee Hooker, Son House, Elmore James and the such.
when i learned smoke on the water intro riff.

i don't see the point in picking the guitar anymore.
I think I always thought I was good at guitar, and that gradually began to vaguely resemble reality.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 20, 2011,
i remember when i was like 5 or something asking my dad why guitarists on tv moved their hands around the neck. that helped me out quite a bit
When I look back at what I couldn't play a year ago, I'm reminded of how much i've improved.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Every time a learned a more difficult song I got lots better..Crazy train, cliffs of dover, eruption.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Past week.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Once I discovered post rock and black metal I realized I didn't suck that bad; before then all I cared about was prog metal and tech death, which I couldnt' play that well lol. Now I just play Blind Guardian all the time. Took about six or seven years for me to be comfortable though.
sunbather is shit
It felt like an overnight change for me. Pretty much once I learned how to play for hours without learning someone else's songs off tabs is when I realized I think I got the hang of 'er!
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'
Just last month.

I was learning Tommy The Cat on bass, and after about 2 hours I was just like "fuck it "

But I always kept coming back to that riff over the following weeks, and finally, just 2 weeks ago, I picked up my bass and nailed that bitch like a BOSS
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
The first time I got into a studio and I realized how much improvement I needed on timing. I never worked with a metronome before that.

Also.. the day I decided that I didn't want to learn any more Blink 182 songs.
Quote by CoreysMonster
My guitar playing greatly improved the day I started recording.

Exactly the same. Even though they were shitty recordings, done straight into the line in on my soundcard, they still REALLY helped me see where I was going wrong. The first jump was when I progressed from playing to a metronome to playing with backing tracks.
Well, today has just been one of those times. I sat down this morning and heard Stairway to Heaven. The solo came up and I thought "Why the hell have I not tried learning that yet?" Came to the conclusion that it's probably a bit fast for me to learn, but I slowed it down today to about 50 beats per minutes and learnt it. That was about 5 hours ago. I've now got it up to 80 beats per minutes (the recording being 93 if I remember rightly). I have three days off work so I'm going to absolutely nail that solo by then. Very pleased with my progress.
When I discovered Black Sabbath.

When I discovered Joe Satriani and Steve Vai

When I discovered Rory Gallagher (well...I knew of him from being a child, but when I actually discovered him)

When I discovered John Mayer

When I discovered Guthrie Govan

They were the main things which improved me. Of course it hasn't always been in technical proficiency but they've all aided me.
And things like getting into Funk, Jazz, Fusion (most of which from being into Guthrie Govan) have aided me, but not substantially enough to note.
there are several large points i can see that greatly improved my playing:

when i discovered paul gilbert. my brother had this cd laying around called acoustic samurai. i never guitarists could actually get that skilled. it was a great turning point.

the next was when i discovered joe satriani. i never knew guitar could sound so amazing.

after that it was when i finally understood the modal system. then after that was when i buckled down and learned the ending solo from gray pianos flying.
xD Dead thread.

I guess a few months ago when i learnt the C, A and E shaped barre chords. Nothing huge has happened since =(
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
I guess when I started writing my own music which I was actually confidant about.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Yeah, it's happened maybe four times. I still am a horrible musicain, and I feel like I'm going through that now. I got serious about theory, I've been playing other instruments, and I'm going to start recording.