So, for Christmas (I know that was a while ago, I've been busy) my father got me Pro Tools LE 8. It had the MBox Mini 2 (something like that, I don't know exactly what it is) I tried to record something, and it flat out sucked. I couldn't even get it to record. When it did, it wouldn't play back through my monitors. I went though All the manuals and all my cables and replugged everything in. All in the correct spaces. It finally recorded something. But It was so complicated, I couldn't even mix anything, because it confused me so horridly that I acted like an impatient redneck and shut everything off angrily . Any pro tools masters out there that hear stories like this a lot and can walk me through what to do, maybe?

Thanks,
Lespaulkid.
The program is not user friendly. I would highly recommend getting the tutorial video or at least watch the videos on Youtube. If you have never done any type of recording with software you need to do this. Otherwise you will become frustrated and not use it.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
I've already done all that. And yes, other then Garageband, this is my first recording experience. I kinda would rather have a more user friendly DAW, but Pro Tools is great either way...I can't use the frigging thing though.
I had to use Pro Tools for recording most of my music projects at college, earlier this year, and most other colleges in the area use Cubase, simply because its less annoying to use.

The best suggestion I can give (as I can't really make out whats actually wrong with your version), is find some tutorial videos, or maybe night school classes? My music technology teacher has some sort of qualification, from learning how to use Pro Tools effectively, from some course, and he still has tonnes of problems with it.
What the others have suggested is the way my bandmates and I did it too. We made the plunge for a pro-tools rig and had no idea how to use it. After all the tutorial videos and manual reading we then figured out how to start the program up, then after many projects tinkering we've become more familiar with how the program works and it has made our lives much much easier.

You definitely want to utilize both the mix window (with the faders) and the edit window (with the colored bars and frequency waves) quite a bit, you can do a lot more in the mix window than it would first appear.

If you have a more specific question I may be able to give a more specific answer, but I'm not really sure what issues you're having. Pro-tools IS complicated at first, but like anything it gets better with practice.

*WARNING SHAMELESS PLUG* We actually just finished a project with LE8, check out the music tab at www.theconversionrocks.com :-P *BACK TO TOPIC*
See if anything here can help ya.
http://www.protoolsformusicians.com/

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
If all else fails, and you cannot work out Pro Tools, I recommend starting with something like Reaper. Simpler to use, and free for 30 days. After that it's only $40 to buy, which is a lot better then the $500 you'll spend on most professional DAWs. You could even use Reaper for the 30 days to get a grasp of the basic stuff, and then give Pro Tools another go.
I despised ProTools for a while until I was taught how to use it and a lot of the less obvious features that is has that make tracking and mixing easier than any other DAW. Now it is by far my favorite.

It's a little tough just throwing out suggestions without knowing what you're getting hung up on. The things I would suggest would probably be confusing if you dont have a solid foundation yet. Let us know what you're getting stuck on and we'll be able to help you through it.
Make sure the Mix knob on the MBox is all the way right to hear the output of the DAW. All the way left makes it so you're monitoring the input. If it's to the left, you won't hear anything during playback. For recording, make sure you're selecting the right input on the actual MBox. Try toggling the Mic/DI switch for that. Those two issues are some of the most common with getting sound through Pro Tools. Feel free to ask me any other questions, I'll help the best I can!
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Okay....well right now, what's wrong is that I cannot use the amp simulation features to mess with guitar tone. That is my biggest issue.
Quote by lespaulkid123
Okay....well right now, what's wrong is that I cannot use the amp simulation features to mess with guitar tone. That is my biggest issue.

What program you using? If you're using a VST amp sim, it won't work unless you use a VST to RTAS wrapper
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
For the amp sim, switch over to the mix window and just insert the program you're using on the track. Make sure you're getting signal through first though. If you can't hear sound, the first thing you should check is the I/O.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Quote by lockwolf
What program you using? If you're using a VST amp sim, it won't work unless you use a VST to RTAS wrapper

Which currently causes any version of PT beyond 8.0.4 to crash.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Which currently causes any version of PT beyond 8.0.4 to crash.

No it doesn't. I'm running PT 8.0.5 and the RTAS wrapper works fine. I never use it, but it works
I'm using whatever thing it comes with anyway, It's like an El;even rack simulator thing I think. Sorry i'm such a n00b guys, and thank you all for bearing with me.

So...I don't have monitors. I'm too poor to buy any. How else could I hear my music without it sounding too garbage-like?
Last edited by lespaulkid123 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by littlephil
No it doesn't. I'm running PT 8.0.5 and the RTAS wrapper works fine. I never use it, but it works

You are using wrapped plugins in your session and it doesn't crash? That seems odd. I know for sure anything in 9 freaks out. I was under the impression that 8.0.5 was in there too.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.