Well I've been thinking of buying a new guitar and my price range goes up to $850. The two guitars i am looking at right now are the telecaster blackout, and the epiphone les paul standard. they both are really nice guitars, and i have a fender squier and it's a strat right now. Anybody got ideas on what i should choose? i'm 14 and play heavy metal, grunge, just lots of hard rock. Melvins, Nirvana, Tad, try to play pantera sometimes, and cage the elephant. So it's not all hard rock, but yea. If you guys have any other guitar suggestions i would appreciate that too! THX!
Last edited by KingBuzzBoy at Jun 20, 2011,
fenders are typically for lighter types of music up to modern rock styles so im gonna say you should go with the les paul if you wanna play metal. Les pauls are pretty all round guitars so theyre never a really bad choice.
^Guess you haven't checked Iron Maiden's gear for example and many other great classics.

I'd say you should also try the Fender Blackout Stratocaster since you also have the telecaster in mind and that you already have a strat... which you haven't specified yet. Talking about Gibson, do you happen to live in Europe? Because Thomann has these special Gibson LP Studios which look really nice and are near to the specs of the original LP studio. You might like them and they're also better quality than Epiphones (I'm not saying that the Epiphone Les Pauls have bad quality, I had one and it was really good for the price).
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Teles aren't typically used in rock and metal, but it can work quite well.

The Fender Blackout does have better build quality than an Epiphone LP Standard, so I'd reccommend that.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Check the Fender Blacktop series. It's such a versatile range, and mixes Fender's build quality with humbuckers that will support a beefier sound. It should match your price range as well
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Look at the Gibsin LP studio in that price range. but it really comes down to feal/playability which is the better for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
neither is better or worse, it comes down to personal preference. Either can be used for just about any genre of music. They both have a full lineup of quality instruments. play them both and see which you like. A strat or an LP will never fail you.
Quote by KingBuzzBoy
Well I've been thinking of buying a new guitar and my price range goes up to $850. The two guitars i am looking at right now are the fender blackout (tele), and the gibson epiphone les paul standard. they both are really nice guitars, and i have a strat right now. Anybody got ideas on what i should choose? i'm 14 and play heavy metal, grunge, just lots of hard rock. Melvins, Nirvana, Tad, try to play pantera sometimes, and cage the elephant. So it's not all hard rock, but yea. If you guys have any other guitar suggestions i would appreciate that too! THX!

1) Fender Blackout Tele or Fender Blacktop Tele? They're hugely different things in Fender's line. The Blackout is a SSS Tele with an extra neck pickup, the Blacktop is a HH Telecaster that's around the low-end of Fender's Mexican guitars.

2) You're not talking about a Gibson, you're talking about an Epiphone. I know it's "splitting hairs" but still it says Epiphone on the headstock, not Gibson.

3) You say you have a Strat, could you please expand on that?

EDIT: ALso, there's no such thing as a Blackout Strat
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jun 20, 2011,
grunge tones in general and nirvana are single coil or p-90 tones imo.

metal is buckers.

i'd go for a HSS American Special Strat if buying new. they hold their value as a MIM blacktop doesn't.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You want to think hard before you give up all humbuckers on the guitar. Going with all single coils means you must really like single coils.

Look at guitars that have at least a humbucker in the bridge position.

For $850, you can't get close to a USA made Gibson Les Paul. But since you said you like metal, it could put you in a good place for ESP guitars.

This one might be a good place to start getting ideas:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-MH-1000-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs-512954-i1175986.gc
ok get a set of surroundsound headphones listen to a cage the elephant album perferably their first one the guitar you hear on the left is a les paul and hes pretty much the lead player, the one on the right is a telecaster, jazzmaster, or jaguar
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
I want to than k you all for the great advice you guys have given me! i am now looking into it alot more and i have you guys to thank for that. i apologize if i wasn't specific enough in some cases. i edited the question for more clarification in the future. thx again.
Quote by kangaxxter
1) Fender Blackout Tele or Fender Blacktop Tele? They're hugely different things in Fender's line. The Blackout is a SSS Tele with an extra neck pickup, the Blacktop is a HH Telecaster that's around the low-end of Fender's Mexican guitars.

2) You're not talking about a Gibson, you're talking about an Epiphone. I know it's "splitting hairs" but still it says Epiphone on the headstock, not Gibson.

3) You say you have a Strat, could you please expand on that?

EDIT: ALso, there's no such thing as a Blackout Strat

I am sorry you found so many things wrong with the post. i edited it out, and it is clarified much more now. i just assumed i could add gibson on there seeing as it was on the site. i didn't think it mattered. I also clarified that my fender is a squier. i also thought i had said the blackout was a tele, i guess u might have misunderstood, but oh well, thx for the reply.
there's this band called Billy Talent, they're kinda heavy. The guitarist uses a Fender Telecaster 72 Deluxe (has 2 humbuckers) and it sounds awesome. Check it out.
Quote by SupahStrat
there's this band called Billy Talent, they're kinda heavy. The guitarist uses a Fender Telecaster 72 Deluxe (has 2 humbuckers) and it sounds awesome. Check it out.

Oh i know them, lol, they're canadian, and i live in canada. and will check out that guitar! thx dude
I'd suggest a hss (humbucker in the bridge and 2 single coils in front) strat as well, especially if you want one guitar that can cover all of what you want. Are you dead set on choosing between these 2 or are you open to other options as well?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by KingBuzzBoy
I am sorry you found so many things wrong with the post. i edited it out, and it is clarified much more now. i just assumed i could add gibson on there seeing as it was on the site. i didn't think it mattered. I also clarified that my fender is a squier. i also thought i had said the blackout was a tele, i guess u might have misunderstood, but oh well, thx for the reply.

Well, it's most pet peeve stuff. And the "blackout strat" was someone else.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by joesix

For $850, you can't get close to a USA made Gibson Les Paul. But since you said you like metal, it could put you in a good place for ESP guitars.

Yes you can. Gibson makes multiple Studio models for $850 or under. The 60s Tributes are actually excellent for that price, and the Studio Worn models are around the same price or even a little less.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by kangaxxter
Well, it's most pet peeve stuff. And the "blackout strat" was someone else.

I see! it makes sense now! Thx anyways for posting though dude, this was my first post and i was surprised at how quick the feedback was from the rest of the community.
Quote by 3074326
Yes you can. Gibson makes multiple Studio models for $850 or under. The 60s Tributes are actually excellent for that price, and the Studio Worn models are around the same price or even a little less.

And check that out i will. thx dude.
Quote by KingBuzzBoy
Oh i know them, lol, they're canadian, and i live in canada. and will check out that guitar! thx dude

LOL theyre from my city... just saying.

but i would probably say a good MIM standard tele or used american strat/ tele and then save up to put a bucker in it
Quote by KingBuzzBoy
And check that out i will. thx dude.

No problem, the guitars I mentioned are actually pretty good. I honestly think they play better than most of the ridiculously expensive ones. I'm not sure if that's my subconscious liking them more because the price is good or not, but still.. haha
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Fenders (especially Blackouts) aren't really the best Humbucker choice. However, I believe Slipknot uses a Telecaster. Theyre certainly versatile guitars, but I wouldn't buy it for the humbuckers unless you give it an upgrade.
Quote by JAHellraiser
I'd suggest a hss (humbucker in the bridge and 2 single coils in front) strat as well, especially if you want one guitar that can cover all of what you want. Are you dead set on choosing between these 2 or are you open to other options as well?

I was thinking HSS as well.
Quote by JAHellraiser

Oh, i'm open to other options. Thx for the advice
Quote by dkeenan
Fenders (especially Blackouts) aren't really the best Humbucker choice. However, I believe Slipknot uses a Telecaster. Theyre certainly versatile guitars, but I wouldn't buy it for the humbuckers unless you give it an upgrade.

Yea, i'm a big slipknot fan, James Root from Slipknot has his own custom tele. I'll definitely beware of the humbuckers
Quote by Seanthesheep
LOL theyre from my city... just saying.

but i would probably say a good MIM standard tele or used american strat/ tele and then save up to put a bucker in it

Sweet, ya my bro was born in Mississauga just like billy talent too. But i shall check out the stuff u said. ya and the blackout is a mim too.
Quote by 3074326
No problem, the guitars I mentioned are actually pretty good. I honestly think they play better than most of the ridiculously expensive ones. I'm not sure if that's my subconscious liking them more because the price is good or not, but still.. haha

Lol, happy u mentioned em cuz i'm checking them out now and from what i'm reading, they're awesome.
Quote by 3074326

well the P-90s aren't that bad for the stuff he wants to play really. aside the melvins alot of the bands used singles of some sort. but yea, the 60s tribute studios are $850.

a worn cherry studio with humbuckers would be what? $800 new i think?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You should definitely check out as many guitars as you possibly can that are around your price range.
GEAR

Schecter- Demon 6
Squire- StratAcoustic
Fender- American Stratocaster
Alvarez- AD-60sc
Line 6- Spider III 75 Watt
Vox- Pathfinder 15R
Boss- RC-50 Loop Station
Line 6- UX2 Input Station
KRK- Rokit 8" Powered Speakers
Last edited by RyanCara at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by RyanCara
You should definitely check out as many guitars as you possibly can that are around your price range.

i very much agree
I feel compelled to say that you should go for a Jackson or an Ibanez, then again, that's just me
Quote by wammybarnut
I feel compelled to say that you should go for a Jackson or an Ibanez, then again, that's just me

I have actually been considering an Ibanez alot. Thx!