Hello all, I just bought a schecter blackjack solo 6 with Duncan Blackouts in it and I was recommened by a friennd to get a noise gate to cut out all the excess noise caused by the actives.

My old guitar was a damien with passive EMG's in it so noise wasn't a problem unless my gain was too high.

So basically...is it worth dropping 80-100 dollars on a noise gate and if so what brand is good to go with, I was looking at MXR and rocktron models. Or.....

Is the excess noise something that I will get used to and in time compensate for with my playing style?

Thanks for your help guys
My Setup:

Schecter Blackjack ATX Solo 6
Schecter Damien 6
Hook HSS Custom 6
Ibanez PF Acoustic
Ibanez TBX150H Amp and 4x12 TBX Cab.
Hardwire TL-2 (Metal Distortion)
Hardwire HT-2 (Chromatic Tuner)
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Rogue Compressor
ISP decimator is the general fav around here, but out of those 2 the MXR smatr gate is the better one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Actives actually have lesser noise at high gain.

Have you tried it on your amp? Is there any noise?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If the noise is bothering you, it might be a decent investment. Personally, though, I'd go in for a multi-FX. I run an RP-255 just for the wah/noise gate/tuner and it's saved me a nice chunk of change between all those pedals, plus a huge variety of modulations and amp/cab sims if you're into that kind of thing.
modes are a social construct
Welll there is no constant noise like a ground noise... its just that when you slide your finger from one fret to the next it is much noiser than usual and when you rest your hands on the strings to mute the guitar you have to do it just right or you get that gain hum like you're too close to your amplifier xD

And yes, I've tried with it with my pedalboard and my amp distortion, board distortion is noisier but it also has much more gain
My Setup:

Schecter Damien 6
Hook HSS Custom 6
Ibanez PF Acoustic
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Rogue Compressor
Quote by tehbigwilley
Welll there is no constant noise like a ground noise... its just that when you slide your finger from one fret to the next it is much noiser than usual and when you rest your hands on the strings to mute the guitar you have to do it just right or you get that gain hum like you're too close to your amplifier xD

And yes, I've tried with it with my pedalboard and my amp distortion, board distortion is noisier but it also has much more gain

Probably more to do with technique. If you can accept the added noise from your pedal board, just live with it. Otherwise you can just get a the Boss NS-2.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Hail
If the noise is bothering you, it might be a decent investment. Personally, though, I'd go in for a multi-FX. I run an RP-255 just for the wah/noise gate/tuner and it's saved me a nice chunk of change between all those pedals, plus a huge variety of modulations and amp/cab sims if you're into that kind of thing.

i like this myself cuz i have a rp90 and i started only using it for the noise gate, compressor, and effects, and as a volume pedal and just using amp distortion, then i have a separate wah pedal. and im thinking bout getting a digitech whammy pedal separately also

unless ur a pedal freak like i am (i just dont have the money get all the pedals i want). the reviews on this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rocktron-Guitar-Silencer-Noise-Reduction-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-584226-i1500902.gc

and it looks pretty cool. plus u got hush noise reduction and a noise gating process (could be a gimmick but it sounds cool)
Last edited by ampoverload at Jun 20, 2011,
seems like what your hearing is just the result of having sensitive high output pups and not that tehy are adding exta unwanted noise like a bad distortion pedal.

actives should add less noise. actives are buffered and low impetance bcause of thier preamp, which can help a lot of things for tone if you like the EMG high output sound
Low noise is one of the big advantages of active pickups.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the input guys...I did just get it last week so im still afraid of it so to speak xD.....ill just have to play with it some more and if I still get alot of noise once im confortable with it, illl look at a noise gate.

I have to say though, I gigged saturday with that guitar and wow....blown away....its just touchier than im used to with passives
My Setup:

Schecter Damien 6
Hook HSS Custom 6
Ibanez PF Acoustic
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Rogue Compressor