I have been wanting a new guitar for the last few years and other things kept coming up. On Sunday, my wife told me to get one for Father's Day so I can play songs with the kiddos.

Even though I like mostly metal and hard rock, but budgetary constraints ($300), space constraints and portability (need to be able to have in a nursery, play room, living room, etc.) and the fact that I DO like acoustic music had lead me to picking out a nicer acoustic guitar instead of a bottom barrel electric and bottom barrel amp.

I am looking at a Takamine G340SC. Looks to be a solid guitar, any concerns or issues out of the box? Any other necessities I should look at? Stand, case and strap?
I'd say you should try to play it yourself, to check if action and all suits you, no fret buzz and such. I'd say getting a portable tuner's a good idea... stand, case and strap is obvious
in all honesty, i would look at Yamaha first. for the money, i think they pretty much put all others to shame. a friend of mine is a second year guitar major and he's still playing his yamaha acoustic more than his $3500 classical. he's just been asked by the school to finally upgrade his guitar, not because of the sound, but because its red and a lack of a pickup for solo performances for convenience.
Quote by User_Name336
in all honesty, i would look at Yamaha first. for the money, i think they pretty much put all others to shame. a friend of mine is a second year guitar major and he's still playing his yamaha acoustic more than his $3500 classical. he's just been asked by the school to finally upgrade his guitar, not because of the sound, but because its red and a lack of a pickup for solo performances for convenience.

Guitar racists, when will we be rid of such a terrible part of our history

Seriously though, seconding the Yamaha. FG700s and FG730S are excellent guitars for the money. the 730 is brighter, with the rosewood back and sides than the 700 which has nato back and sides, but both are excellent for the price.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

A friend of mine bought a G340. It's a nice guitar, sounds good and plays okay - I think the action is a bit high. He hasn't had any problems with it that I know of. Not a super standout acoustic, but definitely worth the money, in my opinion.
Yes, I'll try and get to a store to check them out. My skill level is pretty low so I guess I'll just play some chords and mentally compare to some guitars I used to own long ago.
that's very cool of your wife.

i prefer the fg730 to the tak - btw, i find it warmer and a bit clearer than the fg700 - but that's personal taste. if you prefer the sound of the tak, there ya go. if possible, i'd also suggest you check out the lower priced recording kings, which i've heard very good things about, or even their entry all solid models which come in at not that much more than you've budgeted http://elderly.com/brand/20N_recording%20king.html
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I am truly blessed and it is an awesome gift for my wife to give me.

I am a firm believer that children should be around music and that music really does help everyone learn. I had played an instrument of some sort all the way until I was 20ish and then it kind of dropped off. My wife shares my philosophy and figured that this would be a great Father's Day present and a way to introduce music and spend time with my son.
I think the tak is amazing and wasn't at all impressed by the yamaha's I played.
I love my Yamaha FJX730SC, and my partner swears by her APX700. Essentially, Yamaha makes excellent entry to mid-level guitars with good value for money.
Although i am Takamine to the bone those fg730 are very hard to beat for the money.

I don't suppose begging for more money would help. Cheers
Tuxs, no begging for more money. It will just cost me double then as I will be getting her more presents.

I ended up going to my local guitar store yesterday and tried out a few different guitars and the Yamaha FG series. I actually fell in love with the FG700S, both myself and the salesman thought it sounded the best (we both liked it more than the 720 and 730).

They matched Guitar Center's price. They also matched the price of the case and tuner I bought and the guy threw in some picks, extra strings and a strap.
I didn't even haggle, I just asked if they would match GC since it was about $20 more at the local place and I told him that I wanted to buy local. Great experience.
Congratulations
Glad you found something that you liked.
Also glad you bought local.
To many years of playing.
Quote by akaeser
Congratulations
Glad you found something that you liked.
Also glad you bought local.
To many years of playing.

Thanks. I made it a goal of mine to buy local, thinking I would take a financial hit but in the end I got everything I could have ordered online for the same price and that included paying some sales tax which goes back to my state and helping out a local company. Not only that, but I got it right then, no waiting for the UPS guy to show up and then wondering if my new instrument survived the trip.

I had an ear to ear grin after the purchase, the freebies that I didn't even ask for sweetened the deal.
And you got to play the guitar you bought, very important.

Hey go have fun and look after your new pride and joy. Cheers