So, a few months ago i let go a BUNCH of basses... i tried to get down to a few basses that satisfy their own little niches...

2 P basses and a P/J were let go in favor of my T-20 satisfying my 'P bass Tone'.

Well... now a few months later i miss having a good old split-p Fender(ish) P bass!

Now, i like to mod my stuff, and i'm not gonna but a MiA Fender... so... while i know i can go try these at Guitar Center, which would YOU choose:

-Squier VM P
-MiM P

My stipulations:

-MUST be a maple neck... all the P's i sold were Rosewood. I just like the aesthetics of Maple on a P.
-Gigability 'out of the box' is a BIG plus, but i CAN and DO usually end up 'tweaking' things.

That's about it. I LIKE having 'Fender' on the headstock... but is a MiM P really worth a few hundered dollars more than the VM P?

I'm pretty sure i know the answers to most of these, but it'd be cool to get some input from those that own or have played both... i've played MiM and CV/VM P's... but never the maple versions of either.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Weird thread for you...

Only VM/CV P I'd go for is the maple bodied one. Agathis or basswood just doesn't seem right for a P. Alder or Ash every time.

Why not just spend the $300 on a used MIM P?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
[flameshield] MIM Fenders are like ass compared to the high end Squiers. [/flameshield]

Out of those two, I would say neither. Take a look at the Matt Freeman signature Squier.
Quote by consecutive e
Weird thread for you...

Only VM/CV P I'd go for is the maple bodied one. Agathis or basswood just doesn't seem right for a P. Alder or Ash every time.

Why not just spend the $300 on a used MIM P?

Haha yeah... like i said, i KNOW the answers... just a combo of boredom at work and curiosity, i suppose...

The Squiers are easy enough to test out, but the MiM stuff, both used and new, i've only seen rosewood versions...

Meh... haha, i feel i've owned and played enough basses to want to be pickey about this!

I do agree... Ash or Alder for a P. My T-20 is Ash... but it has its OWN sound that's close to a P but not quite THERE... i sware, the ONLY basses i ever regret selling are my P basses
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Spaz91
[flameshield] MIM Fenders are like ass compared to the high end Squiers. [/flameshield]

Eh... i'd say only in the past 3 or so years...

Out of those two, I would say neither. Take a look at the Matt Freeman signature Squier.

See i WAS looking at that... but... you know... Basswood...

The MiM is Alder... i may just try to wait it out to find a maple neck MiM for that reason alone...
There's always the parts option. Mighty Mite stuff looks pretty nice and there's a few NOS ash MM P bodies going pretty cheap on eBay at the moment.

But I'm kind of sensing you want to go for a complete bass on this one?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
There's always the parts option. Mighty Mite stuff looks pretty nice and there's a few NOS ash MM P bodies going pretty cheap on eBay at the moment.

But I'm kind of sensing you want to go for a complete bass on this one?

Aaaaaaactually... that's not a bad idea.

It'll end up costing more than a full MiM or Squire... BUT if i end up messing with that Squire or MiM at some point, the cost would even out...

I always seem to forget Might Mite, as i RARELY ever buy just a neck... and the prices of Allparts and Warmoth scare me off, haha.
Is a Classic Vibe Precision in the running? Or can you not get on with the glossy necks? Personally I'd take an MIM over the VM P any day of the week. I've played a lot of pretty good VM's, but they've always been a step lower then all but the MIM-lemons. Maybe I've got bad luck with VMs, but that's all IME.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'm a traditionalist when comes to construction materials so I'd the MiM.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Tostitos
Is a Classic Vibe Precision in the running? Or can you not get on with the glossy necks? Personally I'd take an MIM over the VM P any day of the week. I've played a lot of pretty good VM's, but they've always been a step lower then all but the MIM-lemons. Maybe I've got bad luck with VMs, but that's all IME.

Unless my search-fu is super weak today, i thought the CVs only came with a rosewood fingerboard (okay, i realize i should have said maple FINGERBOARD, as most NECKS are made from Maple, but i generally consider a Maple neck to be synnonomous with a maple fingerboard). The 50's P has a maple neck, but the good ol' split P CV is only rosewood.

I wasn't gonna open any cans of worms, but i TOTALLY agree that the CV's sound/play better than the VMs. When i was Jazz bass searching a while back, the CV jazz slayed the VM jazz... i mean i DO like 60's jazz spacing more than 70's, but even in regards to playability and parts, the CV was leaps and bounds better than the VM.

Is it true that the Freeman sig is on par with CV stuff moreso than the VM... or is it VM quality at CV price because of the name?
Quote by Din of Win
Unless my search-fu is super weak today, i thought the CVs only came with a rosewood fingerboard

That completely slipped my mind.

I can't comment on the Freeman sig (I still haven't seen one in person yet), but I will agree with you on the CV vs. VM bit, at least as far as playability and fit and finish are concerned. Plus that CV Precision in Fiesta Red just looks amazing.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
A bass you may want to check out is the "Fender MIM P Bass Special"

You can pick one up for about $700. It gives you a Jazz Neck on a P body... with a Jazz pup in the bridge and a standard P Split Coil in the neck position... as well as an onboard EQ, I belive its a 12db boost. Best of both worlds in my opinion. The tonal options and playability of a J... with that warm thick thumpy tone of a P

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4-String-Bass-103137113-i1148626.gc#
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.