Some of you may have seen me posting around, I bike a lot. Currently I've only ever had mountain bikes to ride and I can average about 15-17 mph on them, or sustain 18-20 for maybe half a mile or so.

I got some road wheels for my mountain bike so speed up and I made a 10 mile trip and didn't drop below 18 mph the whole time, it was great. Until I almost got there and I hit a bump, caught a little air, and landed wrong, bending my back rim almost in half.

I could get a new rim, or save and get a better bike, one for what I need. A road bike would work, but they're pretty expensive and I kinda need it within a couple weeks to get back and forth to work. I was looking on Schwinn's website and they have 'urban' bikes that look basically like a road bike but are fixed gears. Would I be able to make decent speed on a fixed gear bike? it's a solid 10 mile ride to work, and 3-5 for almost everywhere else I ride.

Any other brands/advice/etc you have is also appreciated.
Why wouldn't you get a decent speed on them? 18mph isn't that fast.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
As long as you have no hills! Also you can't always brake as they dont have free wheels ! So maybe get a crossover?
buy a car.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
18 mph on a mountain bike is fairly fast, consider the frame/gears, etc alone take the weight of my bike up to almost 40 lbs and I'm a solid 190.

Crossover? Would that be like a fixed gear but with a freewheel for coasting? I kinda like the idea of no freewheel though to get me in better shape. There aren't too many hills around here, at least not unavoidable ones.

Cars are no fun
You hit a bump and bent your rim in half? I don't think a bike with an even lighter frame is gonna help this situation...
Hit that rim hard then eh? lol

Cannondale, Raleigh, Schwin. Those are pretty much impossible to go wrong with.
With the fixed speed urban you are most likely going to pedal out trying to reach 24/26mph.
So you should be fine.

I regularly hit 42-45 (almost pedalling out) on my 29er mountain bike. 25mph is my flat road cruising speed.

Try aiming for a road bike with a tall 3rd crank gear. Like 50-54/56. That way if you do encounter a heavy down hill you won't lose control during pedal.

What's your budget though?

EDIT: passing cars on the road is quite fun, just saying. Some are shocked but most get angry.
since you're gonna use this on regular commuter i suggest looking into a horn and some lights.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Jun 20, 2011,
Well ideally between $1-200, but I doubt that's gonna get me much more than a very low end. The schwinns I'm looking at are about $300. I don't think I could go much higher than that.

EDIT: Passing cars is awesome! I can't do it on the 60mph roads I live near but once I get into town it's great fun. But yeah I get out of work after 10pm sometimes and I've been biking it for months so I'm set on lights and all that.
Last edited by sglover34479 at Jun 20, 2011,
Fixed gears are fun. The speed you will get will depend a little on the gear ratio but not that much. Also as others have said hills become an even bigger pain in the ass. They're relatively light as well cos you haven got hefty cassettes or derailleurs on there.

Don't think you need to buy new though, it's like with guitars, you can get some real quality bikes on the used market for hardly anything.
Quote by blackflag49
You hit a bump and bent your rim in half? I don't think a bike with an even lighter frame is gonna help this situation...

It was a cheap mongoose bike from wal-mart that i've been riding for a year and put a couple thousand miles on I'm amazed it held up as long as it did.
How about switch to the mountain bike rims and save up again?

300$ won't get you much, especially not for a road bike.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I have some experience... Been riding seriously since 1974 or so and I do bike patrol currently... I also rebuild and repair bikes.
I'm currently working on a Trek Z13 that would be pretty close to what you're looking for...

Trek is calling these "fitness" bikes but essentially they're a hybrid. A road-type frame with 700c rims, 35mm tires, flat bars, and mountain-bike components.
MSRP on these is around 650, but you should be able to find one "on the street" for considerably less.
I would recommend a roadster ("if you want to go fast and far, get a roadster") but as you note even entry-level machines are a bit pricier than most other types.