I just scored a Digitech RP355 used at a Guitar Center for $100, but I know for a fact that my Peavey Vypyr isn't going to do its job with the pedal.

So, I was thinking of getting a 1 to 5 watt tube amp, because I only use the amp at home. I definitely want a Head+Cab Half mini stack, because most of the 1W combos come with small speakers, and because I could use the cab later. Here are 2 amps I was looking at.

Kustom The Defender 5W (because its so dang cheap :P)
Epiphone Valve Jr.

Or, If it is really worth saving for, a BlackStar HT-1HR. Which I know, by far, will sound the best, and have more options. But the thing is, unless I can get a new amp setup for around the money that I get from selling my Peavey Vypyr and Roland MicroCube (I'm guessing around $60 for the Peavey, and $75 for the Roland), I'm going to have to wait until I get a car. Which could be the end of the summer at least.

Thanks

EDIT: The RP355 better sound better than my Vypyr... ha..
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Jun 20, 2011,
Take a look at the Bugera V5. It's a 5 watt tube amp.

Rp355, good choice. I'm glad you found a good deal on it. Do you like it?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Not here yet, still shipping to me. A couple of my friends have it and love it as well, plus I was always jealous of the tones he got with his 255 through a DI. Haha I wont need the DI...
Anyone?
The epi I would go with, it takes pedals well.
Never tried the custom though but never did like that brand.
Don't except a HUGE difference from the peavey though.
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Ill have to try out an Epiphone Valve Jr...
Why would you do this? I don't know why you'd want one low-end modeling amp and another low-end effects modeler with a low-end amp instead of one decent modeling amp. Even upgrading to the Vypyr 30 would be a big step, it's got the stompbox modeling on board. For the price of the 15, the modeler, and a Valve junior, you could even be close to the Vypyr tube 60.

I think a lot of us go through this "tons of cheap gear" phase early on. You could have one really decent amp for the amount you'll have spent on two really poor rigs.
I disagree. The RP355 has the same tones as the higher end RP1000. The Vypyr 30 IMO is not as good as the RP355. I would however try and get a used tube amp off Craigslist. The price of the 15 is irrelevant because he already owns it. Most people do go through a variety of cheaper gear looking for a good rig.

You could spend one time to get the best of everything (within reason) and still not be happy because of the complex interaction of gear and experience. Exploring to find your sound is part of the journey. Buying used allows you to turn over gear without losing much money.

The problem with the Vypyr 60 is that it's all or nothing. Between the amp and the Sampera you have a lot invested and it's all in a single piece of gear. Forget trying a new multifx and it doesn't have a stomp loop for integrating any pedals. If your hankering for a Vypyr 60 then I'd say go for it.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 21, 2011,
I guess my problem is that I didn't like the RP1000, either

I was just comparing the Vypyr models because they're easily compared all the way up the price range. Obviously he could choose from all sorts of good amps at the Tube 60 price point.

Owning and going through a bunch of cheap gear is fine, but this doesn't seem like a real step up to me. It seems like an accumulation of more gear. A higher-headroom amp with the Digitech unit might be good, but probably not a low-watt tube amp. The Digitech is a step up from the Vypyr, but not if you're running it through the wrong equipment.
I'm getting my Epiphone Valve Jr. Friday, and from what I've heard (both on here and other places) it takes effects very well.
you're a stone fox
Effects, somewhat. Amp sims, not so much. The idea is usually to have a neutral, high-headroom amp with a modeling pedal. The Valve Jr is neither.
Quote by Roc8995
Effects, somewhat. Amp sims, not so much. The idea is usually to have a neutral, high-headroom amp with a modeling pedal. The Valve Jr is neither.

Well, that's good because I have both effects and effect sims.
you're a stone fox
Let us know how they work for you! I've spent a fair amount of time with the Valve junior but not a whole lot of it with an amp sim. Maybe it will be better than I expect.
Quote by Roc8995
I guess my problem is that I didn't like the RP1000, either

I was just comparing the Vypyr models because they're easily compared all the way up the price range. Obviously he could choose from all sorts of good amps at the Tube 60 price point.
Well I have the 15 and the mid gain tones are very grainy sounding. Also I believe the RP355 has more mod and delay fx than the Vypyrs. Even though the RP doesn't appeal to you, their modeling is right up there with the well regarded GSP1101. Generally the shortfall is what you hook it up to and how you tweak it.

Quote by Roc8995
Owning and going through a bunch of cheap gear is fine, but this doesn't seem like a real step up to me. It seems like an accumulation of more gear. A higher-headroom amp with the Digitech unit might be good, but probably not a low-watt tube amp. The Digitech is a step up from the Vypyr, but not if you're running it through the wrong equipment.
You're exactly right. I don't even really care much for the 5 watt category. But with a decent cab the Vjr can sound good with pedals. And the Vjr has plenty of headroom for practicing in the house. No question about it that the amp is going to be a big factor.

If it were me I'd plug in the Vypyr 15 and be patient looking for a great deal on a tube amp on Craigslist. I see them all the time. My main amp right now is a Crate VC5310 that I picked up for $150. I had to do a little work on it (solder cold solder joints), but it is sounding awsome in my setup. The way I see it, buying and experimenting with gear is part of the education. Can't seem to get my playing skills to improve any faster, so I may as well learn something.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by Roc8995
Let us know how they work for you! I've spent a fair amount of time with the Valve junior but not a whole lot of it with an amp sim. Maybe it will be better than I expect.

Alright will do, I use an RP70 amp sim and if I can get a good tone with that then I'll get one of the higher end sims. I also have high end effect pedals like my $250 Visual Sound pedal so that will probably help out too.
you're a stone fox
Dont worry im in no rush to get a new amp. But I will be selling my Roland Micro Cube as soon as I get the Pedal here. Also I AM USING THIS PEDAL AS A PEDAL AS WELL FOR LIVE PREFORMANCES! Otherwise I agree, it'd be a stupid "upgrade"
FRFR amp? whats that?
Quote by Diesel Weasel
FRFR amp? whats that?
Basically a PA. It means that the sound system reproduces Full Range Flat Response.
is that worth it? and where could i get those kind of amps
A keyboard amp is an example. However it's not necessary to get one. If you gig you'll need a PA as a minimum for the vocals. And you could use it for your RP355.

A stereo is a FRFR sound system. If you've got one of those you can plug your RP355 into it.
Yeah I think I have an old one.. but would it really sound better than a normal guitar amp?
I just got it in the mail, and it already sounds better than the Vypyr, playing through a clean channel. I love it.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
I just got it in the mail, and it already sounds better than the Vypyr, playing through a clean channel. I love it.

RP's are generally pretty awesome.
you're a stone fox
This guy has a couple of nice RP355 demos on SoundCloud...

http://soundcloud.com/burningyen

I like using a tube amp. I personally wouldn't buy a PA for a multifx but YMMV and a lot of people say that's the way to go. Since you have a keyboard amp, give it a try.
I agree, I want a tube amp anyways. I think a Blackstar HT-1 is where I'll save for. Until then, I'll sell my MicroCube. The Peavey takes the Digitech fine for now

Besides, if I get the Blackstar, I'll have a pretty darn good bedroom setup, and use the RP for live performances and for fun :P
I actually hooked up my gear to my Vypyr 15 to see how it worked. It didn't sound too bad. Not great but the speaker in the Vypyr is pretty limited. I didn't hear any problems with the tone that seemed related to using FX in front of a digital amp. It really seemed to be an issue of the small cab and crappy speaker.

I was going to try hooking the Vypyr to an external cab and see how significant the improvement, but haven't got around to it. I would save the money and look for something with more power than the HT-1. The HT-1 uses a preamp tube as a power amp. So the whole thing about getting great power amp crunch tones is a bit suspect.

Also I run my gear into a 50 watt tube amp and never get power amp crunch tones. And I don't miss it one bit. I'm really happy with my tone right now using a combination of pedals and the RP1000. Look for something more powerful that will give you plenty of clean headroom and a real punch when you get to crank it. Also the cab and speakers are important.

A larger cab will give you a bigger sound even at low volumes. I found a 2x12 cab on Craigslist for $100. Save your money and keep checking CL. I don't know where you live but great deals are always showing up on mine. The economy must be down because it's getting harder to sell stuff but plenty of deals to buy.