Every chord that I play isn't even near that sound that it has to be.. I can't play anything because of that.
What am I doing: I find song that I want to play, then I find it's tune and video lesson. After that I try to play, but it sounds awful.
For example, I tried to play Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. I picked up my Yamaha Pacifica 112J (I realize it's not that good), sat that on standard tune by AP Tuner 3, turn on the Marty's video guide and take the first chord just like he says, and guess what? Yes, it sounds completely different. After I play some 3-4 chords I can't even notice what am I playing, is it really Nirvana or some Irish folk..
What should I do? =\
Is your guitar in the same tuning as his? And are you pressing down hard enough?
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
your guitar may need to be set up prperly and intonated. You should take it to a local shop and have them set it up. It will run you probably @$50 depending on the area.
When you play the chords with out the video does it sound like the song? If so you are hearing a pitch change from the videos audio.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Intonation issue is my bet. If the saddles on the bridge aren't properly spaced for your tuning and string gauge, it changes the distance between the bridge and your fingers when you fret, and pulls the pitch.

Depending on the size of your frets, you could also be fretting either too hard or too soft, usually too heavy handed, which will bend pitch sharp.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
Is your guitar in the same tuning as his? And are you pressing down hard enough?

yes, it's standard.
I am )

So, everything I can do is go to the nearly shop and request them to intonate the guitar or what? One very good guitar player tested it some months ago and told that everything's ok, as much as this lame guitar can be ok (as he said). Could something go wrong since that time, what did I did? I don't have contacts with him for now, so I can't ask him anything.

btw, what is this intonation that you're talking about? can't I do it by myself?
Last edited by Night Fury at Jun 20, 2011,
What notes are you tuning to? If your first string is your high e, and your 6th string is your low E.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yes, it's standard.
I am )

So, everything I can do is go to the nearly shop and request them to intonate the guitar or what? One very good guitar player tested it some months ago and told that everything's ok, as much as this lame guitar can be ok (as he said). QUOTE]

just to add that you should be able to get a good sound out of a Pacifica. They're at the lower end in price, but are generally good quality. I reckon you'd notice a world of difference with a good setup from a shop.
How high is your string action? If it is too high, your pitch will shift by the time the strings hit the frets. And how is the bow in your guitar's neck? Too much can have the same undesirable effect.

Have a good tech take a look at it. Once in a blue moon, you'll find a guitar where the frets are slightly off. If you set your intonation at the 12th fret it will check out, but when you start fretting notes...look out! This is quite rare, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Oh, I'm sorry. It's all my fault, not my guitar. I forgot about all of it, when I tried some acoustic songs. They sound good, it's just my amp and my lameness.
I know this is a dumb question, but are you using any distortion?

No, I didn't, that's why I couldn't play that song. Sorry, I'm lame :3
Last edited by Night Fury at Aug 9, 2011,
What you really need is a new amp.

Your Welcome.
I hate all of you...my opinion is my own...take it or leave it