I've been playing for nearly 2 and a half years now and I am still playing with my first guitar, a Fender Starcaster... I decided it's time to get a new guitar, but I don't have that much money... So I was wondering if it is worth getting a fake Gibson Les Paul for £300 or any suggestions for a good guitar that costs around £300..

James
don't get a fake

there are loads of good guitars around the £300 mark
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nope, horrible idea.

there exist plenty of legit guitars for that price.

don't get caught up on the name on the headstock.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Don't get the fake. Go Epi or Vintage in your neck of the woods.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gregs1020
nope, horrible idea.

there exist plenty of legit guitars for that price.

This is some of the best advice you'll ever get as far as gear goes.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I bought a Les Paul copy myself a few months ago. It's made by a company in Texas called Tradition Guitars. I was very skeptical at first but after bringing it home and playing it for a few months I am very satisfied with it. More satisfied than I think I would've been with a real Gibson. This might be because I only spent $700 on it instead of $3000...lol. On a $300 budget I wouldn't go for a knock off Les Paul, you have to spend way more to find a decent one. There are plenty of good guitars out there for $300.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Quote by gregs1020

Quote by JNBloomy
Thanks I think I will look at getting an epiphone then

pretty sure that ship's sailed already, greg

don't get me wrong, the epi's a valid choice... just it's more of a valid choice after you've actually tried both the epi and vintage and decided the epi is better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
pretty sure that ship's sailed already, greg

don't get me wrong, the epi's a valid choice... just it's more of a valid choice after you've actually tried both the epi and vintage and decided the epi is better.

yea i know.

i'll leave the yamaha sg recommendation to someone else then.
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Chances are, the fake will suck.

Just get an Epiphone Les Paul.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
its very likely you'll get a bad epiphone unless your spending £400+
there are other brands and models that will play and sound better for a similar price,
It isn't a good idea to get a fake, it encourages the fake market to build up and damage local industries.
Dont always go for brand, quality comes in different forms, would you REALLY rather have gibson on the headstock and a VERY LOW QUALITY guitar,
Or another brand, that is actually quality.

Try out a few vintages, courts, epiphones, e.t.c. untill you find the guitar thats right for you,
my old guitarist was a douche who thought the only brands were fender and gibson, and basically turned his nose up at anything different.
news for him, my £350 ibanez plays better than his gibson.
Get an agile from rondomusic.

They make really good quality guitars.
yeah and they're also based like 3000 miles away.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I don't care how good they might be, with this budget, you absolutely have to try the guitar you're going to buy.

If you can find a used Rondo that you love, great. Don't buy one sight unseen because some people on the internet think it's the best.
Quote by Ragu35
Get an agile from rondomusic.

They make really good quality guitars.

this...especially if you want a nice/cool les paul copy..

Don't buy a guitar simply because it says something on part of it...buying a fake gibson would be equivalent to buying a Squire Bullet Strat because someone threw some crappy Sd's in it...but all you can see is it says "Seymor Duncan"
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
this...especially if you want a nice/cool les paul copy..

Don't buy a guitar simply because it says something on part of it...buying a fake gibson would be equivalent to buying a Squire Bullet Strat because someone threw some crappy Sd's in it...but all you can see is it says "Seymor Duncan"

buying a chinese gibson forgery is more like buying stolen stereo equipment, or a stolen automobile
at least a Squire Bullet is a genuine squire bullet
a chinese gibson, is a forgery trying to masquerade as a genuine USA gibson
Last edited by sethp at Jun 20, 2011,
not really...cos' if the stereo eqp. is high end then your still paying for a quality product...

The point was this...don't buy it cos it has a name on it...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

Quote by Controlpanel
not really...cos' if the stereo eqp. is high end then your still paying for a quality product...

The point was this...don't buy it cos it has a name on it...

so the only issue is about the quality of the product. the ethical, and legal component is of no interest here.

wonderful
Quote by sethp
so the only issue is about the quality of the product. the ethical, and legal component is of no interest here.

wonderful

if the company admits its a copy then there are no legal/ethical violations.

However, if they are delibrately trying to pass of fake gibby LP's as the real deal..then it becomes Illegal/unethical....I'm not sure about the united states import laws...but I'm pretty sure you can buy a fake and not get punished for it....
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by Controlpanel
this...especially if you want a nice/cool les paul copy.

as i already said... if you're not in the US (or at least US/canada) there's very little point, as shipping and customs will bump up that price...

Quote by Controlpanel
if the company admits its a copy then there are no legal/ethical violations.

However, if they are delibrately trying to pass of fake gibby LP's as the real deal..then it becomes Illegal/unethical....I'm not sure about the united states import laws...but I'm pretty sure you can buy a fake and not get punished for it....

+1... sort of.

I agree that, personally, I have no problem with clones/copies as long as the company is up-front about them and puts its own logo on the product.

However, you just need to check copyright law etc. to ensure it agrees.

Also, as far as i'm aware, you *can* be liable merely by owning a fake. It depends on the jurisdiction, and you'd want to check that out, but yeah. Don't just assume you're ok, because you might not be.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aa-999

It looks legit, but because of the flood of China's fakes, I'd be very leary of ordering any thing directly from China. I would look for a licensed dealer to buy new, or buy used only in your market area.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by aa-999

it looks legit to me.

the only thing odd about it for an epi is the burst doesn't look like a clownburst. it looks like an actual cherry sunburst les paul.

but i, like others, advise playing if first if possible or having a return grace period in case it sucks ass.