hi i have some questions here they are:
1.are improvising and songwriting the same technique i mean can i be a bad improviser but a good metal songwriter?i don't know to put my time on improvising or or writing songs.
2.for improvising it's said that every one needs a big arsenal of licks Tbut i don't know how and where to store them i've played many licks from the start but i can remember all of them so how do you do it?

3.in songwriting when you find a good riff or lick how do you catch it?is it good to just record it?or you write them on the paper or guitar pro or power tab?

i'm a bit confused on music writing and improvising work Ti don't know what to do in times that i put on these two thing for the best and fastest results
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
1. Improvising and songwriting and totally different things; I have no idea how you got the idea that they were the same. That being said, they both draw from similar sources (scales, music theory etc), so improving one will likely benefit the other. For metal, I'd recommend putting more emphasis on good improv, since song writing--at least within subgenre--is largely the same.

2. You could always get a mobile storage unit and keep your licks in there, but I generally keep them in my brain/fingers. Once you play a lick enough times, it's just muscle memory. It's all about teaching your body what it should be doing, which finger should go where when.

3. This is where things get pretty subjective. Some people record ideas as soon as they hear something they like, others don't. Personally, I try to figure out where that riff is going before I even think about keeping it (unless you're into Sunn--in which case, ignore the previous sentence). That's just my style; it's not for everyone.

To improve both: scales and music theory. You can never go wrong with that (though as a personal appeal, do learn more than the minor pentatonic--metal is oversaturated with that as it is). Things will take time and a number of the first songs you write will be total garbage. That's just how it goes. Persistence is what separates the men from the boys.

EDIT: Just noticed your username. I love the fact that James Hetfield is asking for songwriting advice.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
. You could always get a mobile storage unit and keep your licks in there, but I generally keep them in my brain/fingers. Once you play a lick enough times, it's just muscle memory. It's all about teaching your body what it should be doing, which finger should go where when.

EDIT: Just noticed your username. I love the fact that James Hetfield is asking for songwriting advice.

i have many livks in my mind to but my problem is that when i wanna improvise i dont know play which lick and how to continue maybe i don't know which slicks give what feel

yes it was a wrong decision to choose an artist's name for a user name and many others told me that
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
wrong forum, brah, read our songwriting & lyrics tips thread and articles. then if you still have some questions you may repost this in the techniques subforum or for more music theory related stuff in Musician Talk.