I have a Schecter Hellraiser EMG 81-85. Pod HD 500, and Peavey Valveking combo. I know Djent is mainly in the technique of picking, but wheres a good place to start for getting a tone that compliments the technique to really bring it out. If anyones got specific thoughts about using the HD 500 for this, thatd be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Use a compression with a fast attack on the HD 500 and a tubescreamer style boost, with drive at 0 and level at 10, then adjust the tone to preference.
On the amp, use boosted mids, and keep treble and bass at about 5. No reverb, it makes it muddy, and keep gain at a sensible level to compensate for the boost.
The playing's super important as well, but you've got pretty suitable gear for it.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Last edited by hugh20 at Jun 20, 2011,
Lol this question is being asked all the time now. But yes alot of it is technique. The biggest part of it is to boost your mids on your eq and cut some of the bass. You also don't need as much gain, or I believe it sounds better with less. Passive pickups are also preferred because your pick attack is heard more and your "djent technique" will be made more apparent. Thats my take on it. Its really important that you put your own spin on it too. Too many people are trying to be just like Periphery, Tesseract, etc. Someone on formspring asked Periphery guitarist Jake Bowen something similar and he replied, "Yeah everyones band is going to sound the same now, djent has ruined metal", which is kinda true. But ya there you go, hope I was of some assistance.
Check out Periphery's old gear tour, it's a good example of a djent set-up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8hBHok2xI

And I agree with Clapton1968 to an extent, getting the djent tone is great for people just getting into the style, but if you want to make interesting music then mess about a bit and try not to stick too closely to a cliché djent tone.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by Clapton1968
Lol this question is being asked all the time now. But yes alot of it is technique. The biggest part of it is to boost your mids on your eq and cut some of the bass. You also don't need as much gain, or I believe it sounds better with less. Passive pickups are also preferred because your pick attack is heard more and your "djent technique" will be made more apparent. Thats my take on it. Its really important that you put your own spin on it too. Too many people are trying to be just like Periphery, Tesseract, etc. Someone on formspring asked Periphery guitarist Jake Bowen something similar and he replied, "Yeah everyones band is going to sound the same now, djent has ruined metal", which is kinda true. But ya there you go, hope I was of some assistance.

Yeah I totally agree about that statement that Djent has ruined metal. And i even hate asking that question because now it implies that you aren't original. I dont wanna sound like periphery or anybody, I just like the aggressive/percussive attack playing the guitar (which ive always done before I heard "djent". I just couldnt seem to get a tone to compliment the way I play. (not how Periphery plays, If you catch my drag). I seriously can't tell the difference in djent guitar work anymore. People keep making a wrong comparison saying Periphery= Djent, when in reality djent is a part of periphery. So everyone wants to be them.