I have a Marshall Class 5. I use it in a dorm room so I take full advantage of the built in .01w attenuator. Even with this setting it's still not possible to crank the amp and get super heavy distortion. I'm a huge Savatage fan and am after the Criss Oliva tone (at least what didn't come from his fingers).

I read that Criss used Laney and Marshall amps. He ran them clean and used two Boss SD-1 Super Overdrives to get his distortion. One SD-1 had the tone rolled back and one had the tone dimed. He activated the dimed SD-1 for soloing.

I'm wondering if I can put two SD-1s in front of my Class 5. I'd dime the drive on both of them but use a low level setting. Would the two pedals together be enough to get some Savatage like distortion (early 'Tage like Sirens)?

If not, what about using a nano metal muff and a SD-1 together? From what I've heard of the nano metal muff it doesn't sound like 'Tage.

I'm playing two 80s Charvels. One has a J80c bridge and a Duncan JB neck, the other has a J90c bridge. Perfect for rocking the 'Tage.
Thanks in advance.
keep it [the bat] in a cage, and right before your next gig starts, and your on stage and everything, bite its head off. AMD MUNCH DEM TINGS DER DOWN!!
Last edited by mockinbyrd at Jun 20, 2011,
dunno... i mean i guess you could try it.

personally i'd just get a distortion pedal and then use an od as a boost, either for solos, or, if you need it, all the time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
dunno... i mean i guess you could try it.

personally i'd just get a distortion pedal and then use an od as a boost, either for solos, or, if you need it, all the time.

Thats how I use mine
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Why not find your own tone? Plus you'll never get the exact tone of someone else without their guitars, amps, pedals, settings, recording effects, and their fingers/talent.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Why not find your own tone? Plus you'll never get the exact tone of someone else without their guitars, amps, pedals, settings, recording effects, and their fingers/talent.

Haha, I have my own tone, but it's still really fun to try and recreate the sounds of your favorite players. I've got a killer 1975-1977 Ritchie Blackmore live tone going.
keep it [the bat] in a cage, and right before your next gig starts, and your on stage and everything, bite its head off. AMD MUNCH DEM TINGS DER DOWN!!