Today I recorded my singing and I noticed two things:

1. When I sing my voice seems alot deeper in my head, but is in tune.

2. My singing voice sounds alot like my speaking voice. Like the accent to my voice, (my american accent that is).

So, Is it normal for my voice to be deeper in my head (what I hear) than what I actually sound like? How can I remove the accent or whatever and just make my singing voice sound less like an extension of my normal voice? Oh and how can I sing with more umph, more energy?

I try to use the Bel Canto Technique.
Thank in advance.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
1. Yes i think that's pretty normal. The reason is; what you hear inside your head is your sound including resonation. Taking that off, your voice will appear higher, without changing in pitch.

2. Hmm. Try working on your pronounciation? Make sure you sing every word clearly.
Quote by KrisHQ
1. Yes i think that's pretty normal. The reason is; what you hear inside your head is your sound including resonation. Taking that off, your voice will appear higher, without changing in pitch.

2. Hmm. Try working on your pronounciation? Make sure you sing every word clearly.

Will do.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Well KrisHQ pointed out that it's your voice resonates inside your head that makes it sound a bit different than what you hear.

However, I'm willing to bet that you're not using a proper mic. Cheap headset mics are horrible. They do not have a great range of recording frequencies. I found this out last month when I tried to record myself. I ended up going out and purchasing a proper Apex condenser mic with a Tascam US-122mkII USB interface. Now I can properly hear what my voice sounds like! Yes, there was much more bass with the better mic.
Searching for the perfect gear is endless. Buying a better amp you may notice how shitty your guitar is and vice versa. I've spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of the perfect sound, which I'll never completely capture. -B. Corgan
Quote by binaryclock
Well KrisHQ pointed out that it's your voice resonates inside your head that makes it sound a bit different than what you hear.

However, I'm willing to bet that you're not using a proper mic. Cheap headset mics are horrible. They do not have a great range of recording frequencies. I found this out last month when I tried to record myself. I ended up going out and purchasing a proper Apex condenser mic with a Tascam US-122mkII USB interface. Now I can properly hear what my voice sounds like! Yes, there was much more bass with the better mic.

I used the mic in Sanza Nano... yeah I'm going to get a real mic and try that again.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

The singing voice is just an extension of your speaking voice. Apart from sounding deeper then your voice really is, It should also sound very loud and somewhat twangy in your head IF your resonating and projecting well.

What I found that really helped me was trying to sound like an opera singer. You may have to work with it awhile figure things out as you go. But staying relaxed is always number 1. Your voice is not supposed to change from low to high notes in your modal range so keep that in mind and maybe not go as high as you normally do if it feels wrong.

Increasing and decreasing volume is a good way to work thro projection and resonating. This is called messa di voce = placement of voice. very relaxed I begin on a comfortable note each time you go higher get a little louder. And of course stop when it doesnt feel natural. I also do this without changing notes just get louder and louder then lower and lower.

warming up with vowels instead of words helps me out alot. Ahhh takes the place of ohhh when singing, Try them both you will see a big difference.

Be sure to read links and resource under axemans page to. theres a ladys web site that also sings bel canto. she speaks of mmms and hmmms to help you resonate better.

I used to be really bad in the course of hotel California. Every time i said California it just sounded awful. Then one day It just seemed to go away. Theres still sometimes it will sound very bad but off days are inevitable. So I think with proper technique resonating and projection your accented words that bother you may get better
Last edited by metalmetalhead at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by metalmetalhead
The singing voice is just an extension of your speaking voice. Apart from sounding deeper then your voice really is, It should also sound very loud and somewhat twangy in your head IF your resonating and projecting well.

What I found that really helped me was trying to sound like an opera singer. You may have to work with it awhile figure things out as you go. But staying relaxed is always number 1. Your voice is not supposed to change from low to high notes in your modal range so keep that in mind and maybe not go as high as you normally do if it feels wrong.

Increasing and decreasing volume is a good way to work thro projection and resonating. This is called messa di voce = placement of voice. very relaxed I begin on a comfortable note each time you go higher get a little louder. And of course stop when it doesnt feel natural. I also do this without changing notes just get louder and louder then lower and lower.

warming up with vowels instead of words helps me out alot. Ahhh takes the place of ohhh when singing, Try them both you will see a big difference.

Be sure to read links and resource under axemans page to. theres a ladys web site that also sings bel canto. she speaks of mmms and hmmms to help you resonate better.

I used to be really bad in the course of hotel California. Every time i said California it just sounded awful. Then one day It just seemed to go away. Theres still sometimes it will sound very bad but off days are inevitable. So I think with proper technique resonating and projection your accented words that bother you may get better

Thanks alot. Will do.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.