Jammed with a friend for the first time in a while a few days ago. Had a great time, but while I was there, I noticed that I played absurdly cleaner on his Les Paul than I do on my Carvin or my tele, and with much less exhaustion. The fact that it has both thinner strings though, as well as a shorter scale length(And the fact it seems every virtuoso I can find uses thin strings), has me wondering if the fact I use .11's has been a culprit in the sloppiness of my playing at times?

I know it'll make bending a world easier, but I can bend the .11's just fine, so that's not my concern. I'm hoping this isn't it, as it's made going from acoustic to electric a breeze, but if it is, I'll happily swap strings for the improved playing capability.

tl;dr for the truly lazy, I use .11's in E on a 25.5" scale. Played a 24.75" scale with .10's and I was absurdly cleaner and had more stamina, even without bending much. Could the string gauge be the culprit in this, even without bent notes?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Well, if you play a guitar that has thinner strings and there's no problem, then I would assume so....... You kinda answered your own question.
I would guess it had more to do with the guitar. But it is easier to play thinner strings.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
For lead thinner strings are the way forward- maybe get a hybrid set like 10-52s or 09-46s to get the best of both
sure. would be worth a try at any rate.

I'd be very sceptical of anything anyone tells you which sounds like more work for little obvious gain. they might suck and be trying to hold you back.

I use 9s, by and large, and like them. Anytime anyone says i'm a wuss I just laugh.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use 9's because they're easier to bend, and I like bending.
Ontopic: Thinner strings make it easier to play fast because you need to apply less force to push them onto the frets exactly right. It may only matter a little bit, but in the long run it makes an enormous difference.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by LZRocker
Well, if you play a guitar that has thinner strings and there's no problem, then I would assume so....... You kinda answered your own question.

I thought that at first, but I've never heard anything of this sort before, so I'm not sure where to go with it.

Quote by shikkaka
I would guess it had more to do with the guitar. But it is easier to play thinner strings.

That's a possibility, as the necks were different, but it was a modern profile on the LP, it couldn't have been more than a few millimeters, I wouldn't think that'd have such a drastic effect. That, and the Les Paul's neck is about the same as my strat in terms of shape, so I don't think that'd be it since I have the same problems there.

Quote by gman128
For lead thinner strings are the way forward- maybe get a hybrid set like 10-52s or 09-46s to get the best of both

I've never been a big fan of hybrid sets - I feel like I'm going to get the feel of a regular set, then suddenly I'm either pushing it sharp or the note isn't coming out because I'm being too light.

Quote by Dave_Mc
sure. would be worth a try at any rate.

I'd be very sceptical of anything anyone tells you which sounds like more work for little obvious gain. they might suck and be trying to hold you back.

I use 9s, by and large, and like them. Anytime anyone says i'm a wuss I just laugh.

I don't use them for tone as much as feel - I like the feeling of something solid, something that I have to push on. Obviously I don't want it to be a fight, but I don't want it to feel like I'm not putting any effort into it. Call me silly, but that makes it feel like I'm playing hollow notes, so to speak.

Quote by PsiGuy60
I use 9's because they're easier to bend, and I like bending.
Ontopic: Thinner strings make it easier to play fast because you need to apply less force to push them onto the frets exactly right. It may only matter a little bit, but in the long run it makes an enormous difference.

Actually, that makes sense when I think about the physics of the hands and the strings, and it explain why the lighter strings made both easier and cleaner playing...eh, what the hell, I'll pick up a set of .10's next time I head to a shop, hopefully things'll work out.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
oh yeah, i mean it'll be different for every person. i'm not saying it's wrong to use thicker strings... i'm saying it's wrong to say any gauge is wrong (as a lot of people who use thicker strings are apt to do).

Personally, anything much thicker than 9s on a 25.5" scale tuned to E feel like a fight, and I don't want it to feel like a fight. I don't want it to feel like rubber bands either...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?