Hey guys. I recently purchased an Agile Dauntless EMG with a floyd rose. I just got it all set up and I love it.

But as I took my first "test drive" on this baby, I noticed that it's extremely hard to tap for some reason. My starter Ibanez (a comparatively crappy guitar) works fine when I try to tap, but for some reason my new guitar just doesn't make the sounds I want it to when I hammer on the strings.

I'm not sure how to fix this, or even if it's possible to fix it.
If you ran your ibanez through the same amp as you ran the Agile with, then that eliminates the amp and technique. Is the action on your Agile higher than the action on your Ibanez?
I have found it to be a lot harder to do right hand hammer-on's on guitars that have higher action and thicker strings.

While there is a lot of technique involved in right hand hammer-ons and tapping, the amp and guitar contribute a lot to the sound.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
1, your action is waaay to ****ing low
2, you're a shitty tapper
3, your life sucks
Quote by WesM.Vaughan
If you ran your ibanez through the same amp as you ran the Agile with, then that eliminates the amp and technique.

+1

logic 101
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it could be that the agile needs a set-up. given that you can tap on a cheapo guitar, i suspect its not technique (though it could be, ya never know)
May be partially technique sheerly due to the differing actions between the guitars.
It is most likely because you now have higher output pickups which catch on to harmonics and other 'noise' from pull-offs easily, this can be rectified through refining your technique, and possibly through rolling off some gain and treble.

Make sure you're tapping right up by the frets, with enough pressure, and make sure the action is at a suitable level and the guitar is otherwise all well set-up.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
What happens when you just do regular hammer ons and pull-offs? Do they still sound?

yes the notes sound pretty well with just a normal hammer on.

And my action is very similar on both guitars, I did a readjustment before I began playing it.
What sounds is it making when you're tapping on your new guitar? Is it dull? Undefined? Out of tune? Need more info.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
The new guitar probably has a thicker gauge sting on it, Just strengthen your hands or switch to a different set of strings
Don't blame your guitar, only assholes do that. It's your technique. Fix it. If you can't, then, well, your just a shitty player and not going to get anywhere in life. Sorry, but sometimes it's just that way.
i just went through this problem with my new guitar but i fixied it.....but i doubt your having the same problem because i went from Emg's to lower gain pickups and all i had to do was basically tap harder. but ya it sounds like your action is so low that the tapped notes arent sustaining
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I think the action is WAY too low, if tapped notes are not sustaining.
Given that on a comparatively shite guitar (with what I expect to be passive pickups) you can tap fine, I doubt it's the amp or technique.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Don't blame your guitar, only assholes do that. It's your technique. Fix it. If you can't, then, well, your just a shitty player and not going to get anywhere in life. Sorry, but sometimes it's just that way.

Woah, calm down. Not to derail your rant or anything but it WAS my guitar that was the problem. I raised the action like a few people suggested and now it's working much better. But thanks for the unnecessary hostility though, I appreciate it.
My tapping is much clearer/easier on my Duncan equiped guitars than my guitars equiped with EMGs btw (could just be me).
Quote by Ragu35
Woah, calm down. Not to derail your rant or anything but it WAS my guitar that was the problem. I raised the action like a few people suggested and now it's working much better. But thanks for the unnecessary hostility though, I appreciate it.

it was pretty obvious from your original post that it wasn't your technique if you could do it on other guitars. He's just an idiot, don't pay him any attention.

that old saying, "only a bad workman blames his tools", really needs to be retired as soon as possible, because it gives idiots carte blanche to spout off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So I'm having another problem... When I tap the higher notes, the sound either extremely muffled or they barely sound at all.

The action adjustment didn't help it as much as it did with the other frets, but if I raise it any higher it'll be almost impossible for me to play
Quote by Ragu35
So I'm having another problem... When I tap the higher notes, the sound either extremely muffled or they barely sound at all.

The action adjustment didn't help it as much as it did with the other frets, but if I raise it any higher it'll be almost impossible for me to play

Higher frets are hardrr to tap on. Just tap as close to the fret as possible without being on top of it. I acually use a bit of softer touch on my riht hand tapping above the 13 or 14'th fret.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
Higher frets are hardrr to tap on. Just tap as close to the fret as possible without being on top of it. I acually use a bit of softer touch on my riht hand tapping above the 13 or 14'th fret.

No, I mean they legitimately barely make a sound. I blasted my amp as loud as it goes and tried it. When I hammer with my right hand it makes a tiny sound.
Quote by Ragu35
No, I mean they legitimately barely make a sound. I blasted my amp as loud as it goes and tried it. When I hammer with my right hand it makes a tiny sound.

On which frets or fret? Like past he 12th? I dont think this is a pickup problem bit rather uneven frets mabye?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by LZRocker
1, your action is waaay to ****ing low
2, you're a shitty tapper
3, your life sucks

Ahaha
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Sometimes it IS the guitar, don't be retarded. Mostly technique. Case. ****ing. Closed.