Page 1 of 2
if so how did you learn how to be good at chess? Right now I'm alright and I can beat the average joe, but if I come across someone who has a strategy I get owned. What's the best place to learn how to become a chess master?
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Passionately kiss the enemy until they surrender.

OT: Just keep playing chess and learn new strategies and you'll eventually get better?
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by 剣 斧 血
Forcibly kiss the enemy until they surrender.

OT: Just keep playing chess and learn new strategies and you'll eventually get better?

I'd prefer to have a more organized way at practicing. You don't really get anything out of getting your ass kicked.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Simple, ALWAYS have your key player available ie, THE QUEEN.

Use that as your main ass-kicking-weapon and you cant fail... unless it gets taken
Quote by Eric_Fail
I'd prefer to have a more organized way at practicing. You don't really get anything out of getting your ass kicked.

Get a handheld device where you can play chess and set the difficulty. Keep playing, then when you start winning, advance on to the the next difficulty setting. Mean while memorise stratagies and develop a way of luring the enemy into traps. Keep playing against real people aswell.
Where she can't see you
Grey skin to cinders
I often deploy the two knights first, and then move two of the pawns two spaces forward so that both bishops are able to move. I then move the pawns forward one at a time in a pattern of one or two spaces (you can move the pawn two square on the first move) so it is staggered ie 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2, and be generally defensive.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by 剣 斧 血
Get a handheld device where you can play chess and set the difficulty. Keep playing, then when you start winning, advance on to the the next difficulty setting. Mean while memorise stratagies and develop a way of luring the enemy into traps. Keep playing against real people aswell.

Where would I get ahold of these strategies to memorize?
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
You should beat up the king, then they will surrender.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by wizards?
www.chess.com

They've got a ton of people to play, they've got grandmaster matches you can review, and a section on how to develop different strategies.

Also, Lion strategy is killer. Learn it, know it, live it.

chess.com so obvious, how did I not think of this. Thank you brah.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
Quote by Eric_Fail
Where would I get ahold of these strategies to memorize?

On the internet? Google was invented for a reason man.
Where she can't see you
Grey skin to cinders
I can beat most chess simulations at 9/10 (one before the hardest setting) difficulty. I've been playing since before I can remember, heck I grew up with Chessmaster 2000. I started out with my dad, and his help beating the computer on 2/10 difficulty etc. Then after I would win 50 games in a row I would go up one difficulty. After a while you tend to notice trends in the computer's thought patterns. It's too bad I didn't keep playing, I haven't played in years (guitar and video games)...

Quote by wild_rocker94

Use that as your main ass-kicking-weapon and you cant fail... unless it gets taken

Actually, I only got really good once I started to use my queen less, even avoiding using it for sport .
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Jun 20, 2011,
I remember when I was about 6, I checked my Dad in 3 moves. Was a fluke, though, and I am as good as I want to be now at chess, e.g. understanding of how the pieces move, and how to win.
Quote by wild_rocker94

Is "use the queen" really your best advice for chess?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Is "use the queen" really your best advice for chess?

I prefer to bash the bishop.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Despite my username, I cannot help.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Read books, and those things in newspapers where you can see how profs played out a professional match. You gotta learn how to read the Chess-notations though.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Play defensive as hell.

It slows the game down and generally forces the other guy to make moves he doesn't want to.
Keep your long range pieces in play. So castles don't move until they're at risk of being taken or can be used in a trap/take a major piece.

I'm nothing spectacular, but that was what i was taught by a friend who was tempted to play tournaments. Only reason he didn't was because his education came first to him.
Quote by SG_dave
Play defensive as hell.

It slows the game down and generally forces the other guy to make moves he doesn't want to.
Keep your long range pieces in play. So castles don't move until they're at risk of being taken or can be used in a trap/take a major piece.

I'm nothing spectacular, but that was what i was taught by a friend who was tempted to play tournaments. Only reason he didn't was because his education came first to him.

Yeah I'd love to be good enough to play in tournaments. Would make me look smart. Plus I hear the ladies love it too.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
There's one site that's good, chess.com

Haven't used it in a while but they have tutorials and other online players of various skills.

Listen to the 4Yr Chess Club President >_>

/chessnerd

EDIT: most tournaments i know tend to cost alot the first time around. You have to pay for registration, attendence, and sometimes food depending on the event. First one i went to costed me 120$, two day tournament. :|

EDIT2: My style: Suffering, slow and painful unless a winning opportunity presents itself.

EDIT3: Chess notation isn't so hard if you want to follow games, as someone else has stated. Learn it. It's good for ye.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by SG_dave
Knight in shining armour pickup lines never get old to the chess crowd.

ok now I really do want to enter a chess tournament

Quote by Deadlock Riff
There's one site that's good, chess.com

Haven't used it in a while but they have tutorials and other online players of various skills.

Listen to the 4Yr Chess Club President >_>

/chessnerd

EDIT: most tournaments i know tend to cost alot the first time around. You have to pay for registration, attendence, and sometimes food depending on the event. First one i went to costed me 120$, two day tournament. :|

Aww man. How much money can you win? Is it worth it in your opinion?

EDIT2: My style: Suffering, slow and painful unless a winning opportunity presents itself.

EDIT3: Chess notation isn't so hard if you want to follow games, as someone else has stated. Learn it. It's good for ye.

I kind of know chess notation, but yeah I'll try and learn it tonight.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
Quote by Eric_Fail
ok now I really do want to enter a chess tournament

Aww man. How much money can you win? Is it worth it in your opinion?

It really depends on the tournament.
In the lower rookie tournaments etc you don't tend to win much or if anything. Higher up though prizes/cash comes in. After the initial I'd say it's worth it if you become good enough.

Just like sports, if you're good enough you can 'earn yourself a paycheck' so to speak.

At a certain point some high profile players get appearance fee's for teams etc.

Granted this is only if you REALLY are into it and Great at it.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Jun 20, 2011,
I used to play with my grandpa quite often. I managed to give him some hard time, but rarely won.

Get a book that explains some common starting moves. Also, try to get the 4 middle squares under your control asap, because the nobs have the widest firing radius over there. Don't move without thinking first, try to reason each move. Keep your opponents nobs under your sight, think why your opponent made the move and get ahead of him/her.

Sometimes the best defence is offence. You can mess up your opponents carefully thought out plans by getting a valuable nob under your aim rather than blocking his way + this way you can get the attacker's position. Try to avoid the situation where the opponent keeps attacking and you keep running.
To beat any chess master easily, simply step outside and obtain a life.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Actually your queen is one of the weakest pieces in almost every strategy. Unless you are going for the typical, "Attack, Attack, Attack," philosophy, you should always think offense and defense at the same time several moves ahead.

Some of your strongest pieces are your Pawns, never underestimate them. For instance, the pawn that is in front of Bishop on your immediate weak side of the King must never move, even if you have castled your king. Once you move this pawn, you are breaking down the wall of your main fortress.

Never move your Queen out unless you have to. The most powerful piece you have on the board in any game are the Knights, because they are the most lethal pieces. Not so much because of the way they move but due to their simplistic defensive abilities.

If your Knight hasn't moved yet, one move with it can totally alter your opponents offensive strategy. Since almost everyone attacks with their Queen and Bishop and they move to diagonally, primarily and always, respectively, this one move can totally negate all they wanted to do. Can you guess what that move I am referring to is?
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Jun 20, 2011,
I hate chess. Makes me paranoid and anxious. Seriously, I look like a crack addict while playing it.

Monopoly is where its at
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Actually your queen is one of the weakest pieces in almost every strategy. Unless you are going for the typical, "Attack, Attack, Attack," philosophy, you should always think offense and defense at the same time several moves ahead.

Some of your strongest pieces are your Pawns, never underestimate them. For instance, the pawn that is in front of Bishop on your immediate weak side of the King must never move, even if you have castled your king. Once you move this pawn, you are breaking down the wall of your main fortress.

Never move your Queen out unless you have to. The most powerful piece you have on the board in any game are the Knights, because they are the most lethal pieces. Not so much because of the way they move but due to their simplistic defensive abilities.

If your Knight hasn't moved yet, one move with it can totally alter your opponents offensive strategy. Since almost everyone attacks with their Queen and Bishop and they move to diagonally, primarily and always, respectively, this one move can totally negate all they wanted to do. Can you guess what that move I am referring to is?

Hmm very interesting. So is it better to abstain from using your knights?
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
Quote by Eric_Fail

Depends. Not to diagree with the above poster but there are many many styles. The most common as said though is to rely on the Queen primalrily as it normally (not always) is known as the most powerful though in his style the knight is known as the best.

Study up and experiment, then see which type works best for you. It's also helpful so you know how to purposely change styles to either get an edge or mess with opponents.

Again saying, not here to cause any arguements >_>.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Eric_Fail
No and I asked you a question. Can you guess which one move with your knight, if you haven't moved it yet, which means he is on the second square back row, that would totally alter your opponents offensive strategy?
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Depends. Not to diagree with the above poster but there are many many styles. The most common as said though is to rely on the Queen primalrily as it normally (not always) is known as the most powerful though in his style the knight is known as the best...
Well there is an exact science to the strategy and what makes the queen somewhat useless is she is what you would call the Knock Out punch. If we were using wrestling terms, the Queen would be your Tombstone. If we were using football terms, the Queen would be your Hail Mary.

But even then, the reason why the Queen is bad to move unless forced is because, if you were playing me:

A) You are weak without the queen.
B) You are thinking offensive only, or primarily.

I think defense more than offense almost all the time, so if I see you bring your queen out early, especially if I am still setting up my pawns, then you are either attempting to worry me or have no strategy of your own. You are jumping the gun and this can be bad. If you move your queen out at anytime and she isn't being threatened, then you are forced to move pieces to protect her and for what? She is vulnerable and if you end up moving her back, then that move and all the subsequent ones to protect her was pointless.

Furthermore, consider this: If I put your king in check with my queen, you're not allowed to castle to get out of check but don't want to move your king and lose your castle. Lets even say that you've been setting up the last several moves for this castle and now you are in check. Okay? Now, you are in check, the only ways out are moving your king and everything is fine but your castle or move your queen in front of your king as protection.

Would you really do the second? If your answer is second but I did not know that in this scenario, then I would hope you moved your queen there. If you did I would take your queen with mine even though mine is gone too. But I will do that because I have eliminated a piece that you consider yourself to be beaten if you lose it, but the only way to take my queen would be with your king and you lose your check anyway.

I would gladly give up my queen because I can play an entire game without her, no problem and I would have technically already beat you. Make Sense? See how bad it can be to expose to your opponent what your knockout punch is?
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by AllJudasPriest
No and I asked you a question. Can you guess which one move with your knight, if you haven't moved it yet, which means he is on the second square back row, that would totally alter your opponents offensive strategy?

...no.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
Quote by Eric_Fail
Yeah I'd love to be good enough to play in tournaments. Would make me look smart. Plus I hear the ladies love it too.

What happened to your male friend?
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Eric_Fail
...no.
Move your Knight to the square directly in front of the pawn that is in front of the rook. Now, can you tell me why?
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
The knights are the best to get off to a really good start. If i'm black I can dominate a game, even winning on hard, but as white I just don't know how to get the advantage.

I've always felt black has the upper hand and it was unbalanced.
Quote by Metallicuh

Troll.
Where she can't see you
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by AllJudasPriest
The most powerful piece you have on the board in any game are the Knights, because they are the most lethal pieces

with this philosiphy, you really can't lose

anyway, it's hard to give advice in a wall of text. the best is have someone show you how it's done... and playing against other people (and losing) shows you just that.
white has a major advantage
concentration is key. take your time if needed and be aware of every situation and every possible move. ask yourself the same questions every time. it takes a bit of practice before you can see everything clearly.
confidence is a little bit important.
as black, if the other person starts attacking you from the start, you have to know what to defend and make sure your defence is adequate always.
don't castle too quickly... and if the other person castles quickly, start moving your pawns up rapidly and attacking.
don't treat your opponent like an idiot by using standard moves. this will backfire once your strategy is overcome as your opponent will have set up a good defence and you'll be more exposed.
use the points system in chess.com (i.e. bishop=3, rook=5 etc.)
two knights or two bishops (and a knight) are better than a knight (x2) and a bishop so try and force your opponent into a situation of having only one bishop, even if it means sacrificing your own piece.
don't move all your pawns too far forward from the start (think the offside rule in football).
don't try to free your rooks by moving the end pawns and your rook up at the side.
make patterns with your pawns to protect your king and try to disrupt your opponent from doing this.

edit:
Quote by yellowfrizbee
I hate chess. Makes me paranoid and anxious. Seriously, I look like a crack addict while playing it.

i played chess with a guy when he was on crack... he played better with it. i wouldn't let that concern you.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Last edited by untalented at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by Metallicuh

Eh I have a lot of male friends... nothing interesting happened to any of them recently. wtf

Quote by AllJudasPriest
Move your Knight to the square directly in front of the pawn that is in front of the rook. Now, can you tell me why?

You block their bishop?
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
I'm alright. I can beat my friends

Quote by AllJudasPriest

To sink their battleship.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Page 1 of 2