Hey guys, I was primarily taught technique in my bass lessons, however, as I play more and more, I have changed certain aspects of the technique I was taught.

Should I work on keeping the same technique I was taught or continue with what is working for me as of now?

(I know this is vague, I just mean technique as in how my left hand is on the neck and my right hand while plucking)
[Insert something clever here]
Depends on the personal style.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
1. learn others techniques
2. merge aspects f those techniques into one
3. add your own magic
4. you have an awesome technique, and bitches want you.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I say whatever feels right, sounds right, and won't give you carpal tunnel, or something like that.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
"Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add what is specifically your own." - Bruce Lee

Sound advice for practically any undertaking.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jun 20, 2011,
Master the techniques that you've been taught. After you can play these, you can mold your own technique from what you've learned by looking at what's comfortable.

Don't half ass the techniques you've been taught before you learn them and give up on them for something that's more 'comfortable'.

When I first started out, my bass teacher forced me to put my thumb halfway between the bottom and top of the neck at the back as opposed to having it float over the top of the neck and onto the fretboard. I hated it, it wasn't comfortable, it made my hands hurt but I got used to it. Now I can play with either my thumb floating (and now can use my thumb to mute the E string) or my thumb grounded in the middle.
Quote by Milan999
When I first started out, my bass teacher forced me to put my thumb halfway between the bottom and top of the neck at the back as opposed to having it float over the top of the neck and onto the fretboard. I hated it, it wasn't comfortable, it made my hands hurt but I got used to it.

My bass teacher did the exact same thing to me, it was originally extremely uncomfortable but it is better in the long run. I was only worried because now my thumb will jump from the middle to the top of the neck when I'm playing on the G-string, I wasn't sure if that was bad or not. I guess since I can play both it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Quote by FatalGear41
"Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add what is specifically you own." - Bruce Lee

Very good advice, I like it
[Insert something clever here]