so my question is simple, at what point does a beginner guitarist become a guitarist? What skills must you know or how many songs must you have learned...?

for example, i have been learning guitar since april 2010. I can play lots of songs and can pick up tabs pretty easily, although i know no skills, ie hammer-ons etc. does this still make me a beginner? or more than that?!

As a musician yourself, do you consider yourself a beginner? or when does a beginner lose that title?
when you become a competent musician...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
The better you become, the further you expose the horizons of musicianship. Ask the same question in a year and you'll laugh at the one you're asking now. Same goes for the year after that.

Edit: I've been playing for roughly 8 years and I honestly still consider myself a beginner. I just keep being amazed by new feats of awesome guitarists and musicians. And when I've mastered one skill, I'll be amazed by the next. Only to then realise I never REALLY mastered the first one.
Last edited by Nielsyboy at Jun 20, 2011,
i consider myself pretty competent. i wouldn't say virtuosic, but i'd say that i'm just starting to approach the advanced stage. i can play several instruments, know an assload about music theory and history, composition, fundamental orchestration, and many other topics. i'm a pretty competent guitarist, able to perform most skills at an above average level. i have a very well trained ear (though by no means is it mastered yet), and can read music (though my sight-reading is average at best).

it's good to be able to identify qualities that separate the men from the boys, but don't drive yourself nuts over them. a beginner guitarist is still a guitarist.

EDIT: always look at music as a whole. never look at it as just guitar. this way, you'll be better able to analyze yourself objectively, and will therefore be in a better place to better yourself, since you know precisely what your strengths and weaknesses are.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jun 20, 2011,
I've read interviews with professionals that have decades of experience and numerous hit albums under their belts who assert that they still have no idea what they're doing.

No matter how good you are, someone will think you suck.

No matter how bad you are, someone will think you rock.

In the words of The Master, "Tai Kwan Leep is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon."

Labels are ultimately meaningless.

CS
Quote by CarsonStevens

jackpot.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i consider myself pretty competent. i wouldn't say virtuosic, but i'd say that i'm just starting to approach the advanced stage. i can play several instruments, know an assload about music theory and history, composition, fundamental orchestration, and many other topics. i'm a pretty competent guitarist, able to perform most skills at an above average level. i have a very well trained ear (though by no means is it mastered yet), and can read music (though my sight-reading is average at best).

it's good to be able to identify qualities that separate the men from the boys, but don't drive yourself nuts over them. a beginner guitarist is still a guitarist.

EDIT: always look at music as a whole. never look at it as just guitar. this way, you'll be better able to analyze yourself objectively, and will therefore be in a better place to better yourself, since you know precisely what your strengths and weaknesses are.

This pretty much sums me up too

TS, If you've been playing a year, don't worry about it, have fun playing and after a few years evaluate where you want to go and what skills you want to develop.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by AeolianWolf

This is me right now, basically.

I do have to ask though... how do you know a ton of songs but don't know how to hammer-on? Unless these are like Nirvana esque, but even those have some techniques.
Quote by wild_rocker94
so my question is simple, at what point does a beginner guitarist become a guitarist? What skills must you know or how many songs must you have learned...?

for example, i have been learning guitar since april 2010. I can play lots of songs and can pick up tabs pretty easily, although i know no skills, ie hammer-ons etc. does this still make me a beginner? or more than that?!

As a musician yourself, do you consider yourself a beginner? or when does a beginner lose that title?

don't worry about stuff like that. Play your guitar... enjoy it..... get better as a result. it takes time so be patient and have fun.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by wild_rocker94

Forget that beginner, advanced crap. You are getting distracted. Just do whatever it takes to play what you like to hear and what your favorite bands do. Then overtime develop your style.
Quote by CarsonStevens
I've read interviews with professionals that have decades of experience and numerous hit albums under their belts who assert that they still have no idea what they're doing.

In the words of The Master, "Tai Kwan Leep is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon."

CS

Yup.

I'll also add to that by saying that no matter how good you are every guitarist you ever meet will always know something that you don't. And no matter how small that thing may be, the fact that it's something you don't know will invariably make you feel a bit inferior and trigger a mini crisis of confidence.. And that's perfectly healthy, because it's what encourages us to keep learning and getting better. If it doesn't happen then you've either learned everything or, worryingly you think you've learned everything which is a very bad place to be - always keep your eyes, ears and mind open.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think you are classed as good when top level players in the same genre as you are admiring/complimenting your playing
Quote by TrueBlues
I think you are classed as good when top level players in the same genre as you are admiring/complimenting your playing

Not at all.

In my first band I had top level guitarists complimenting my playing and I had only been playing for a year and a half. I really wasn't all THAT good.
^why the compliments if you weren't good?
Maybe i should change it to 'honest compliments'.
I see myself as a beginner guitarist and theory novice. But everyday i learn something new. I just have fun and i'll see where it ends. Having fun is the most important.
Quote by wild_rocker94

The way I see it, we all define our own role in music. A guy like Stevie Wonder connsiders himself a great musican. A guy like Yingve Malmpsteen considers himself a great guitarist. Both guys are amazing, world class musicans but they define themselfs diffrently.

It's just a lable bud, as far as Im conserned you can call yourself a guitarist the day you first picked up your guitar... or you may never consider yourself a guitarist at all, and may consider yourself a musican, story teller, instrumentalist, multi-instrumentalist, composer, conductor, ect...
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
honestly, none of us can tell you unless we can hear you. i see people come on here all the time asking if they are good and list all the songs they can play and techniques they know but really, that doesnt mean they do them well. i mean, i can sweep pick 6 string major and minor arpeggios....but not very well. but there are things i can do very well like vibrato and bending or scale sequences.

a lot of the best guitarists consider themselves learning guitarists. sure they are "good" but there isnt a set in stone line from beginner to "good". and each good guitarists is good at different things. some are faster, some know more chords, some know lots of styles, some are a master of one.

ask yourself what you want out of guitar playing. do you just want to be able to play songs you like? do you want to be able to make your own music? do you want to be able to improvise and solo? i find the problem with some of these people who ask if they are good is that they are going about this all wrong. music isnt about ranks or certain levels of playing or speed. instead of asking other people, ask yourself. do YOU think you are a good guitarist? is there something you want to be able to do but cant? are there things you should be better at? "good" guitarists are constantly trying to improve and better their technique. if you keep practicing mistakes, you wont improve. again, you also need to know what you want out of playing. set goals and write them down if you need to.

that being said, have fun with it. if its not fun, and just feels like a set of tasks, then whats the point?
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
honestly, none of us can tell you unless we can hear you. i see people come on here all the time asking if they are good and list all the songs they can play and techniques they know but really, that doesnt mean they do them well. i mean, i can sweep pick 6 string major and minor arpeggios....but not very well. but there are things i can do very well like vibrato and bending or scale sequences.

a lot of the best guitarists consider themselves learning guitarists. sure they are "good" but there isnt a set in stone line from beginner to "good". and each good guitarists is good at different things. some are faster, some know more chords, some know lots of styles, some are a master of one.

ask yourself what you want out of guitar playing. do you just want to be able to play songs you like? do you want to be able to make your own music? do you want to be able to improvise and solo? i find the problem with some of these people who ask if they are good is that they are going about this all wrong. music isnt about ranks or certain levels of playing or speed. instead of asking other people, ask yourself. do YOU think you are a good guitarist? is there something you want to be able to do but cant? are there things you should be better at? "good" guitarists are constantly trying to improve and better their technique. if you keep practicing mistakes, you wont improve. again, you also need to know what you want out of playing. set goals and write them down if you need to.

that being said, have fun with it. if its not fun, and just feels like a set of tasks, then whats the point?

+1 well said!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.