Here's a little song I wrote the other night. Recorded through my axe fx as usual and I used my Ibanez rg550 20th anniversary with bkp painkillers that I just got in a trade. No bass to it yet, so mainly looking for critiques of the song instead of the mix. It has a big rock vibe to it yet a little bit of metal thrown in. Some of the riffs weren't recorded perfectly clean yet, but it is still a work in progress. I think its really needing some of my bandmates leads in there, but let me know what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/barry-boren
Are you the guy who's running an Axe into a Mesa 2:90? I remember seeing an Axe/2:90 NAD but cant recall who it was.....Pat says he uses a DCM......

Nice song though, but it desperately needs bass. Drums need to be quieter, guitar more up fron, can hardly make out some parts.

Love that slow ish chuggah chuggah bit from 1:05 or so, and the legato bits (do I hear tapping?) after that.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 20, 2011,
Thanks man! Nah that must've been someone else. I'm just running straight into an echo audiofire 4 interface into my macbook pro and out through some yamaha monitors. Yea I'm hoping to get some bass to it this week but the only one I have access to is my friends, so I don't get to record with it too often. The only tapping part was right after the chug part when it goes to just one guitar. That lead tone needs some work to fit in, which I'll work on as soon as I get the structure down.
Quote by bboren
Thanks man! Nah that must've been someone else. I'm just running straight into an echo audiofire 4 interface into my macbook pro and out through some yamaha monitors. Yea I'm hoping to get some bass to it this week but the only one I have access to is my friends, so I don't get to record with it too often. The only tapping part was right after the chug part when it goes to just one guitar. That lead tone needs some work to fit in, which I'll work on as soon as I get the structure down.

I'm not exactly a tone biggy since I've been playing for only two years or so, but the rhythm tone sounded kinda like a hot rodded Marshally tone, like a boosted Soldano or something. Unless I'm very wrong?

Why not try bi amping with the Axe? Keep the current lead tone, but make the rhythm tone, say, a combo of the 2 ch anc 3 ch recto models on the Axe?
Or maybe a 5150 and mark IV?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I'm not exactly a tone biggy since I've been playing for only two years or so, but the rhythm tone sounded kinda like a hot rodded Marshally tone, like a boosted Soldano or something. Unless I'm very wrong?

Why not try bi amping with the Axe? Keep the current lead tone, but make the rhythm tone, say, a combo of the 2 ch anc 3 ch recto models on the Axe?
Or maybe a 5150 and mark IV?

I want to say that rhythm patch used the 5150 and either FAS modern or some other amp, can't remember since I'm not by the axe. It's pretty easy to make any amp on there sound like another or something its not with all of the eq'ing and everything. I always gravitate towards harsher rhythm tones with less bass for some reason, I dunno why . Once the songs sorted out I'll get on the tones for sure and hopefully we can have a badass finished product
Quote by bboren
I want to say that rhythm patch used the 5150 and either FAS modern or some other amp, can't remember since I'm not by the axe. It's pretty easy to make any amp on there sound like another or something its not with all of the eq'ing and everything. I always gravitate towards harsher rhythm tones with less bass for some reason, I dunno why . Once the songs sorted out I'll get on the tones for sure and hopefully we can have a badass finished product

That was a 5150?
(dies)
Quote by GS LEAD 5
That was a 5150?
(dies)

Yea lol. Check out Keshav's rhythm tone on dots to see what someone who has figured the axe fx out can do. He sent me that patch and i believe it was 5150 and the fas modern also. http://soundcloud.com/skyharbor7
Quote by bboren
Yea lol. Check out Keshav's rhythm tone on dots to see what someone who has figured the axe fx out can do. He sent me that patch and i believe it was 5150 and the fas modern also. http://soundcloud.com/skyharbor7

@.@
This is fuelling me Axe gas further.
EDIT: Is he on UG? I really wanna ask him from where he got his Axe and how much he paid for it. I'm saving up big time for one, dont want pie on my face at the end.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Looked him up and asked him. He's in my country actually he said that he got it off ebay cause he didnt want to sit on a 6 month long waiting list, that he had a friend bring it over.

I guess that's one way to do it. Really isn't the easiest piece of equipment to get when you aren't in the US.