Just wondering what you need to consider when replacing a speaker in a guitar amp. I'm guessing the speaker needs to handle a certain amount of power from the amp to work properly without blowing up Just a question from a friend really. I know it isn't that simple to replace but just wondering what you've got to look out for to get a good replacement speaker that can work under the power of the amplifier.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Tone aside, the three parameters to consider are:

Wattage: How much power the speaker can handle. The absolute bare minimum is the amount your amp is rated for, but most people use a speaker with a higher wattage rating because it's safer. A higher wattage rating means the speaker will break up later and won't add distortion to your amp's tone.

Impedance: You need to match the speaker load to what the amp is expecting. Check the speaker already in your amp; you need to get a new speaker with the same impedance. Some amps have taps for multiple impedances, but it sounds like you're talking about a combo, so that shouldn't affect you.

Sensitivity: This is just a rating of how loud the speaker is with a certain input. Different manufacturers measure differently, so it's not extremely useful, but in comparing speakers, a higher dB rating means a louder speaker. The effect is logarithmic, so a 101 dB speaker is significantly louder than a 97 dB speaker. You don't need to worry about this number the way you do the previous two, but it's a good number to look at when comparing speakers.
Basically as above user said, the most important factor is Watts and independence, after that read reviews from people to check if it adjusts to the style your looking to play. Also if it's a combo amp remember just in case to check the size of the speaker so you wont buy something smaller or bigger by mistake.

Normally you wont need tools to replace a speaker since most of the tike they use two plugs for + and - signs, or red and blue, some red and black. Open up the back of your amp (unless its an open back amp) and check if its soldered or just plugged.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Cheers guys really big help
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!