on my college course we did a unit where we had to choose any topic related to music/music technology and write an essay on it. i chose the emergence of hardcore punk in the 80's and the social connections, and hardcore music of the recent years and how it's changed.
anyway, just thought as this is a hardcore thread i'd post it up, see what people think
essay

edit: also if anyone thinks of anything that i missed that could work really well with it then let us know! i'd like to keep this as an on-going thing to update
as a child you don't miss an empty room
Last edited by danm778 at Jun 20, 2011,
Awesome topic to do man, i will have read through.

However the Hardcore thread is more for Metalcore and all that terrible stuff.
This is more sorted for the Punk & Ska thread.
Quote by SumFX
Awesome topic to do man, i will have read through.

However the Hardcore thread is more for Metalcore and all that terrible stuff.
This is more sorted for the Punk & Ska thread.

lolstfu
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
lolstfu

Just sayin what i've seen, one look at the threads on here
Trivuim, Misery Signals, Devil Wears Prada, BTBAM

I don't see how they are anything like Wasted Youth, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc

But i hardly ever go on these threads anyway so sorry if i'm completely wrong.

TS the only problems i have with this blog are:
1. Not going into the lyrical content of the 80's bands very much.
2. Not describing the 'stereotypical' sounds of each scene, Like Washington D.C & California, etc
3. Not showing the aftermath of the most popular Hardcore bands and what the figureheads went on to do next.
4. Not showing how Hardcore influenced other bands and genres.

But thats me being picky.

Overall it was pretty good and it could inform people who have no clue about Hardcore, good job
Quote by SumFX

TS the only problems i have with this blog are:
1. Not going into the lyrical content of the 80's bands very much.
2. Not describing the 'stereotypical' sounds of each scene, Like Washington D.C & California, etc
3. Not showing the aftermath of the most popular Hardcore bands and what the figureheads went on to do next.
4. Not showing how Hardcore influenced other bands and genres.

i had number 4 lined up to do but i had to rush the process a bit so that one got cut out because it wasn't directly linked to the question i asked.
i hadn't thought about describing the sound of different scenes, obviously as i wasn't around then i'm not a real expert, but i'll have a look at it. got any groups of bands from different areas man?
if i had more time before the essay had to be handed in i would have gone into more detail about the time period between the initial golden years of hardcore punk and what it is now, but as i finish college next week i can do it at my leisure so i'll get on it!
but nice one man
Quote by danm778
i had number 4 lined up to do but i had to rush the process a bit so that one got cut out because it wasn't directly linked to the question i asked.
i hadn't thought about describing the sound of different scenes, obviously as i wasn't around then i'm not a real expert, but i'll have a look at it. got any groups of bands from different areas man?
if i had more time before the essay had to be handed in i would have gone into more detail about the time period between the initial golden years of hardcore punk and what it is now, but as i finish college next week i can do it at my leisure so i'll get on it!
but nice one man

The 3 main scenes were:
Washington D.C
Bad Brains
Minor Threat
Circle Jerks
S.O.A (Henry Rollin first band before he got in Black Flag)

California
The Germs
Black Flag
Adolescents
Agent Orange
Wasted Youth

Boston (This was the most violent scene, and it sounds it when you compare to Cali)
SSD
Negative FX
Gang Green
F.U's

Pretty cool to note that most Boston bands ended up becoming more Metally than the other scenes.

You could also have said something about us Brits (Discharge, Varukers, English Dogs)

The impact Hardcore had on Thrash Metal & the birth of Crossover Thrash.

You could have also done a bit on how certain bands moved from Punk Rock to Hardcore, like The Misfits, D.O.A, heck even the Ramones were influenced to some extent.

Also i can't remember if you touched upon Dancing in your blog, but that was a big part in Hardcore which continues to this day.
Quote by llanafreak44
Don't forget New York Hardcore.

Totally, Agnostic Front, Reagan Youth, Cro-Mags even the Beastie Boys (When they were hardcore)

Jersey has some but nowhere near as good or memorable.

And how could i forget The Angry Samoans & The Descendents (Cali), also Hardcore bands that adopted Surfy riffs like Agent Orange, Dead Kennedys, Angry Samoans, Descendents.
nice one buddy, i'll have a read into it and everything, keep you posted when i update it more!
also, does anyone have any songs from the beastie boys when they were a hardcore band, i can't find any anywhere
I'm an asshole.
Last edited by lookpizza at Jun 21, 2011,
I want to start an anti-rasta project under the pseudonym of Brad Bains.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I knew a scene kid back in the myspace days that went by Brad Bane.
I'm an asshole.