Based on reviews I've read it seems like Epiphone guitars have a somewhat bad reputation and are not as "good" as Gibsons. I however really like the looks (and price tag) of Epiphone guitars and am considering buying a second one (I have a Junior). If a person could spend around 500 dollars or so, which is better for the price: a high-end Epi or a cheaper Gibson? Just want to get a few opinions. Thanks.
What model? Which genre?
I prefer Gibson, I own 1997 Gibson Firebird. It is perfect made and has good sound and feel.
A, Epi standard plus Les Paul is, in my opinion, a much better use of money than something like the Gibson studio. It may be Gibson with a barley audible sound difference, but the Epiphone looks much nicer.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by paruwi
Here we go again................

Ok, so I am "beating a dead horse." Can you explain how?
Last edited by boredandlazy at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by jeTTa02
What model? Which genre?
I prefer Gibson, I own 1997 Gibson Firebird. It is perfect made and has good sound and feel.

I'm sorry, I guess it was just sort of a general question (which I understand is hard to answer because it's so general, but my knowledge is really limited so I can't be that specific.)

As for genre, if it's leaning towards jazz, but could also play most other genres decently, that would be best.
Quote by boredandlazy
Based on reviews I've read it seems like Epiphone guitars have a somewhat bad reputation and are not as "good" as Gibsons. I however really like the looks (and price tag) of Epiphone guitars and am considering buying a second one (I have a Junior). If a person could spend around 500 dollars or so, which is better for the price: a high-end Epi or a cheaper Gibson? Just want to get a few opinions. Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to the boards

500 bucks isn't gonna get you much of a Gibson, unless you're going for used, in which case in depends on your luck. In any case, a high-end Epi will be as good as or better than a low-end Gibson, if talking below the $1000 price range. It's a lottery with Gibsons, in any case, given their shoddy quality control. But you can outright forget getting the most out of your money with a $500 Gibson, chances are you'll get a bottom of the bucket guitar. You get what you pay for.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Garci
Hi, and welcome to the boards

500 bucks isn't gonna get you much of a Gibson, unless you're going for used, in which case in depends on your luck. In any case, a high-end Epi will be as good as or better than a low-end Gibson, if talking below the $1000 price range. It's a lottery with Gibsons, in any case, given their shoddy quality control. But you can outright forget getting the most out of your money with a $500 Gibson, chances are you'll get a bottom of the bucket guitar. You get what you pay for.

Thanks, that answers my question perfectly. I was originally hoping to find a used Gibson, but I'd honestly I'm thinking about a new Epiphone as well. I will definitely not consider a lower-end Gibson going off your advice, since it sounds like I'd just be paying for the name.
Quote by hawk5211
don't feed the troll

also, no vs. threads, so this should get reported...

its not really a "vs." thread its more a "which is a better deal" thread
how you word it makes all the difference
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by boredandlazy
Thanks for that useless two cents. I'm new here and don't have much knowledge on guitars so honestly, I don't know why what I've posted is such an offense. No one asked you to read this.

I'll give you another cents to think about.....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453190

Stuff like this was discussed 10000000000 times - with no result.

You have to decide - not we.

I like all of my Epis, I can afford Gibsons - I don't want to.
But it's me - and doesn't help you.

Go out play the guitars you like

If it looks good to your eyes
if it sounds good to your ears with your amp
if it feels good to your hands
and if it fits your wallet

...................buy it !

Quote by hawk5211
don't feed the troll

Well, he joined today, and posted a valid question for someone who hasn't read the stickies or had time to check out the forum rules (I know it's the first thing he should do, but cut him some slack). This is named "vs" but it's hardly a "which is better" thread, more of a "what would be better for me" thread. Let's not get hung up on technicalities, he's hardly a troll by the looks of it.

Quote by boredandlazy
Thanks, that answers my question perfectly. I was originally hoping to find a used Gibson, but I'd honestly I'm thinking about a new Epiphone as well. I will definitely not consider a lower-end Gibson going off your advice, since it sounds like I'd just be paying for the name.

You're welcome. Yeah, that's the thing with Gibsons, you're still paying for the name anyway but with really low end Gibbys that's pretty much all you're paying for. You need to move up the price ladder in order for it to start being worth it. And Epiphones don't deserve all the bad rep they have in this forums, they're no $1000 guitar but are judged on those standards. You can get an amazing tone and feel from a modded Epi, I'd say go for it
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Last edited by Garci at Jun 20, 2011,
Get a new melody maker. They have an explorer, a v, an sg and a paul I believe.
Quote by nickdohle

I could never justify those things simply because with the jack placement, I'd break a cable within a month.

Anyway, I have a giant copypaste rant about this dead horse. I say giant and mean it though, so I want TS' permission to post it before I do?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by boredandlazy

lemme get this straight...you have read reviews...realized they have a rather shoddy rep...but still want to buy one based on the looks and the price? If I wanted to drop 200-300 bucks on a guitar for its looks...I'd get a dean or a BC Rich....

Not to say all Epi's are bad...some are quite nice..but you have to get more in the 800-1200 doller range for those...and why spend that much on an Epi when you can get something really nice for that ammount? An Ibanez or ESP?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by necrosis1193
I could never justify those things simply because with the jack placement, I'd break a cable within a month.

Anyway, I have a giant copypaste rant about this dead horse. I say giant and mean it though, so I want TS' permission to post it before I do?

yeah i dont know what they were thinking with those jacks...

shame cos they look pretty cool
I know I'm beating a dead horse by saying to go play both and see what you like. Studios can be pretty nice too but you'd probably be hard pressed to find a good used one for $500.
For $500 used you're looking at a Studio Faded. You'd want to try before buy but if you resold it later you'd get your $500 back no problem. Gibson Pus are all better than Epi built PUs IMO. The Studios built before 2011 all came with HS cases, something that does not come with a similarly ($500 new) Epi. You can find a new EPI Std for around $400 but the PUs aren't that good and no case. If you step up to the higher end models '59 Ltd Ed etc. (>$1K)I believe you get really good PUs Classic 57s or SDs) and a case too.
In the end it's what you want to spend and what you want in a guitar.
Moving on.....
Quote by paruwi
Here we go again................

Aww, I got all excited cause I wanted to learn the emote code for this, but it's just a .gif

Quote by philwhite
I know I'm beating a dead horse by saying to go play both and see what you like. Studios can be pretty nice too but you'd probably be hard pressed to find a good used one for $500.

No, you aren't beating a dead horse. This is the right answer to all of these goddamn "this-or-that" threads.

We, as a forum, cannot decide which guitar you like better. You have to do that, and if trying out one of these guitar involves getting in your car and driving to a guitar shop, then it involves getting in your car and driving to a guitar shop. If you don't have a car, then ride your bike, and if you don't have a bike, well, you probably shouldn't be buying a guitar then.

We cannot tell you what you want or need! Try out individual guitars, there is a lot of deviation in brands, and even in the exact same guitar models. It's not like guitars are M&M's that are exactly the same except for color. The only thing we can tell you that is not opinion are the same things you can find by searching a guitar manufacturers website.

So, get off your computer, go down to a guitar shop and try one out. It's the only way to know for sure.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jun 20, 2011,
Does it HAVE to be an Epi or a Gibson? You can expand your options by checking what else is out there. Other companies offer single-cut designs around $500. Agile, PRS, Ibanez, and LTD all offer singlecuts for a good price with good workmanship. Just trying to help.

But also what everyone said, in the end it comes down to what YOU prefer. Don't pay attention to what's on the headstock if all possible. What does it feel like in your hands? How does it sound? Is it comfortable? Because the name on the head isn't what you put in your hands- it's the neck. The name on the headstock also isn't what comes through your amp. Can you dig it?
Quote by Pr0gNut
Nothing,because I wouldn't pay to have a childhood fear strip for me,no matter what sick variation of the clown car routine they come up with.

Taste the Meat, Not the Heat.
LISTEN TO DEVIN TOWNSEND!
Quote by kangaxxter
We, as a forum, cannot decide which guitar you like better. You have to do that, and if trying out one of these guitar involves getting in your car and driving to a guitar shop, then it involves getting in your car and driving to a guitar shop. If you don't have a car, then ride your bike, and if you don't have a bike, well, you probably shouldn't be buying a guitar then.

We cannot tell you what you want or need! Try out individual guitars, there is a lot of deviation in brands, and even in the exact same guitar models. It's not like guitars are M&M's that are exactly the same except for color. The only thing we can tell you that is not opinion are the same things you can find by searching a guitar manufacturers website.

So, get off your computer, go down to a guitar shop and try one out. It's the only way to know for sure.

this. i don't drive but i still manage to travel to find the guitar i'm looking for. i don't have a magic carpet, either. it's called "making an effort" and effort really does pay off.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I can't tell much difference between a high end Epiphone and a low end Gibson. I don't see how Gibsons are so much more expensive than Epiphones, even if the build quality and materials are better. I can see how they are more expensive, and Gibons are nicer guitars, but I fail to see how they're thousands of dollars/pounds more expensive. I just think you're paying for the name on the headstock more than the instrument itself.

Quote by hawk5211
don't feed the troll

Get that massive stick out of your arse. This is one of the only threads in this bloody forum that's getting any kind of activity. The rest of this forum's a fucking graveyard.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Electroshred
Does it HAVE to be an Epi or a Gibson? You can expand your options by checking what else is out there. Other companies offer single-cut designs around $500. Agile, PRS, Ibanez, and LTD all offer singlecuts for a good price with good workmanship. Just trying to help.

Good copies of Les Pauls are Japanese guitars like Orville, Burny, Greco... Check em out.
Japanese Epiphones are good too.
Quote by nickdohle

I have not played the new crop of Melody Makers but I do have one of the 59 re-issues and it is a great guitar. It is the best no frills guitar on the market today at a great price and as an added bonus it is made in the USA.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by necrosis1193

Minor amount of common sense and a cable with a right angle end go along way.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I have a GIbson LP std. Just bought a Epi LP Custom. Replaced the whole inside electronics and put Seymour Duncan pickups in it so for a total of about $950, I have one kick ass axe comparible with my Gibson. I play the Epi more now
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads