In terms of soloing usei g the minor pent and major pent and aeolin mode? Like best tenting and best release best home. Etc.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Yes, know the harmony that accompanies you and play to that. Hint: chord-tones v. non-chord tones. Remember that the less directly stated the harmony is, the more leeway you have to define the song's tonality.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by silly6-string
Well is there a rule of thumb? In any situation do this kind of thing

yup.... listen and play stuff that sounds good.
shred is gaudy music
Well you know the chords which are played in songs? Well they also have notes in them and if you sometimes play the same note it sounds good.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Sure, the chord tones are safe notes to hit. Use 7ths aswell if your highlighting chord tones, just using triads is pretty boring. And just using chord tones is pretty boring too, so when your comfortable with the chord tones venture into the other scale notes, of course you gotta then be sure of what scale you are using but that is all down to the context of the thing. When you get really good at that you might wanna start slipping in notes that arent even in the scale.

OR you could just follow your ears, learn some licks using the blues scale / pentatonics that would fit and mess around until you learn for yourself what sounds good and what doesnt. Listen to better players playing, then listen to yourself playing. Thats the way it usually works.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by silly6-string
Well is there a rule of thumb? In any situation do this kind of thing
I think you underestimate music theory. There's much more to it than a few rules of thumb. But here's my shot at it:

Whether you do it deliberately or not, you always play in a key. That key may change during your piece, or it may remain the same for the entire song. But while you are in a key, either local or permanent, the three best sounding notes on the scale are I, IV and V. I'm not talking chords here, I'm talking single notes.

This means that if you build a triad in a 4 voices chord in a certain key, the best note to double is one of those three.

Now, when you'll learn about consonance and dissonance, and dominants and tonal centers and sevenths and melodic variation and what not, you'll understand that which notes are the best choice is more depending on context that this quick rule. But it takes a lot more study and effort to truly understand that.
Quote by silly6-string
In terms of soloing usei g the minor pent and major pent and aeolin mode? Like best tenting and best release best home. Etc.

That's not a question which is going to help you. You can't shorthand understanding. As someone has said, you can't plant in September and Harvest in November.

It doesn't work that way. You have to choose, learn it to understand, or don't. You can't just piecemeal and pick and choose what theory you want to learn. Think of holding onto a rope over the ground. What parts of the rope above can you sever, that will still allow you to remain on the rope?

Things in theory are related, like hanging onto a rope, If your rope isn't tied off what happens when you put your weight on it and try to hang from it? The notion is ridiculous right?

Same thing. I agree you know about rope, and you know about hanging from it, but unless you tie it off to something and keep that rope intact...you can't do anything with it.

Does that make sense?

Sean
In short... play the first note. Theres your home and release and tension could be wiggling it around... thats the quickest way. Otherwise, I agree with everyone else... no real use in finding which notes work... the best stuff usually happens by accident.... anyway...