Page 1 of 2
the majority of the songs i learn are by either RHCP, Pearl jam, or clapton. i need to find a good setup (not too expensive, lets try to keep the price under 1-1.5k) for this

i have atm and ltd esp m-1000 and a fender mexican strat, 70s version.

im assuming ill need pedals, and a good tube amp from craigslist, any help

Rhode island btw
Budget? - 1-1.5k at the max, preferribly cheaper if we can get there
Genres? - RHCP, pearl jam, clapton, hendrix, john frusciante
New or Used? - used will work
Home or Gig? - both, but im looking to play in a band in college
Closest City? - RI, warwick
Current Gear? - esp ltd m-1000., fender mexican strat, 70s ed
Orange Amps, all the way. You can easily find a good one under $1000.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
id say some sort of marshall...not sure which one though. also a wah will come in handy
A 2 channel amp like the Marshall JCM 900 would be perfect.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
realize that for some of these amps theyd be really hard to buy used (im only seeing a orange tiny terror for sale in RI from orange stuff)
A Silver Jubilee would be perfect seeing as how thats what John Frusciante uses but fat chance finding one of those for 1500. I don't know much about these amps but maybe an Egnater Renegade? I tryed one at GC the other day, fits in your budget and I think it can definitely get the sound your looking for. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Honestly any good medium gain tube amp is going to cover those kind of artists. Which one you choose depends on which sort of voicing you want.

I'd say try out a bunch of brands and see what you like the character of.

A thread like this is just going to result in everyone stating good amps from a whole host of brands. You can't pick one based on just this. You really need to go try out a range/shop for a long time. Finding the perfect amp can take time, and you shouldn't go into this lightly or on the back of the melange of answers you'll get here.

A good starting point would be some Marshalls though.
If you're looking on Craiglist you can probably find a 2x12 Fender Twin Reverb for under $1k. Don't know why some people are suggesting Marshalls seeing as all of those artists either used to or still do use Fender amps to the best of my knowledge. Of course any good quality tube amp, including a JCM 800 or 900 combo, or the Orange TT, can cover the sound but if you're going for the more 'American' bluesy/rock tone that Clapton and Pearl Jam use then Fender is the place to look. Just stay away from the Bassman and Frontman.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Last edited by rockxwl at Jun 20, 2011,
You could easily get a used Marshall for that price a JCM800 would be great for Pearl Jam and should have the clean headroom for RHCP.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
^there is nothing good about that amp. The Dual reverb is a pretty terrible sounding amp. I wouldn;t go for a JCM900 for the TS an 800 would be better.

If you can find a fender deluxe reverb and then maybe a pedal to boost it you wouldn't be dissappointed. The Twin reverb is too big and too loud to push into overdrive.
It really depends on which sound you'd prefer to go with. Frusciante uses Marshalls, Clapton used Marshalls but now uses Fenders, and I believe at least one of PJ's guitarists uses Fender not sure on the other(s)
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
im really going for RHCP style, so ill shoot for a marshall (hopefully ill be able to get the other sounds as well).

so, what are the good price-appropriate marshalls? and should i consider any oranges as well? with each amp, are there specific foot pedals i should consider getting? etc etc
A JCM800 can probably do the job as well as a JCM2000 DSL.

There are lots of amps out there which can do the job, you should probably just hit your closest guitar store and try a bunch out and see which flavour you like best.
Pearl Jam have used a combination of Fenders (McCready still uses Bassmans as a monitor), Marshalls, Savage and HiWatt (Eddie).

John Frusciante has used mainly Marshall – JCM800 or a Plexi. He occasionally uses other stuff, but that’s what I recall from interviews.

Hendrix – Marshall. Mainly a Super Lead. He had also used Vox, Fender, Sunn and Orange over his career as well. I’m pretty sure he ran everything on 10. As an aside, an electrician near where I’m from had a Marshall from the ‘60s he couldn’t identify. He contacted Marshall in the late ‘90s and was asked to take it to Bletchley (HQ) to be identified. They mentioned only three had been made – his had “JHE” sprayed on the side and one had been shipped to “Jimi Hendrix Experience.” He got ridiculous offers through eBay so withdrew it. No one is able to confirm if Jimi ever used it, though.

Clapton was a Marshall man in the ‘60s. The Bluesbreaker was built after he requested something smaller he could record with, rather than using his 100 watt lead heads. I think he may have used AC30s prior to that. He’s used Music Man, JCM800s and a variety of Fenders ever since.

Get a used Marshall with a couple of channels. A JCM800 would be closer than a JCM900 for the sound you seem to require. It’s the one common factor in all of the players you mention/
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
i would sugest looking ata Egnater Renegade, they are very very versatile, and should pretty much nail anything you could think of. i owned one for a while and liked it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Clapton also used Orange amps extensively.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
im looking at a JCM900 head for 580 on Clist?...whats the difference between a 900 and 800? is it that big of a deal to wait it out ( i have another week at least to wait before i have to make a decision)
The 900 is not a bad amp, per se, but many (me included) prefer the 800.

The 900 is good for punk. Not much else. Due to diode clipping and other such things.... Although others here would be able to explain why the 800 is tonally "better" - I just found them to be more responsive and they would sound closer to what I think you're aiming for.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Depends which JCM900 it is. If it is dual reverb the it is a terrible amp imo. If you can also find a marshall JCM2000 DSL you wouldn't be disappointed.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would sugest looking ata Egnater Renegade, they are very very versatile, and should pretty much nail anything you could think of. i owned one for a while and liked it.

+1
You would be pleased with that DSL on craigslist. The distortion is a bit modern sounding, but it can for sure do everything you want with ease. But Your gonna of course need effects pedals like a big muff and a wah too.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Jun 23, 2011,
how would buying a egnater renegade 2x12 combo for like..around $1200 sound via ebay? or should i stay away from a combo, as i want to buy something of similar price but if the combo is gonna limit me id just buy the head and a decent 2x12 cab for $400
or furthermore, should i just buy a really good 1x12 cab or a 1x12 combo with it? im honestly lost for this here. I'm probably gonna end up gigging but idk how/what a smaller cab will really do for me.
1x12 would work fine. I have the 1x12 renegade combo and its great, could definitely do gigging and home practice
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
ok. and what would be a better fit. From what i can tell, a renegade is probably less reliable than a DSL, but is it worth getting one anyways over a DSL?

edit: also heard the renegade hums a ton.
Last edited by FODICO at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by FODICO
ok. and what would be a better fit. From what i can tell, a renegade is probably less reliable than a DSL, but is it worth getting one anyways over a DSL?

edit: also heard the renegade hums a ton.

i haven't heard anything that would make me think a renegade is less reliable than a DSL... unless i missed something. mine was used very heavily for quite some time and held up find.

a JCM 900/2000 may get you where you want to be, but i can just about short guarentee you that the renegade would do better in putting you where you want to be.

my renegade did not hum much at all. even with more gain than needed. maybe that was somebody in a house with poor power. i didn't have a power condioner at the time and had no issue.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
ok. so im most likely going to get the renegade 1x12 combo (?), is ebay a good option or should i just go new for the extra $100-200. also, what pedals should i grab as well?
jcms wont get you the rhcp tone atleast you need a plexi or a silver jubilee for that
and on a side not never get a plexi reissue by marshall they suck
some amp makers make amps which have the same specs as the orignal plexis,the'l cost you 1000$
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Last edited by deepsal at Jun 24, 2011,
Getting new is always worth it especially if it's less than a couple hundred dollars difference.

Effects varies alot, and I will tell you why. For the bands you play, you could really utilize something like a multi effects set-up, because there are a handful of effects used throughout the years amongst these artists. You could cut down this section dramatically by concentrating on a handful of songs or perhaps on a couple given albums. For example, RHCP's Mother's Milk would require a Wah, Chorus, and Good Distortion Box while Stadium Arcadium would require all kinds of crazy sh*t including a ring modulator, high quality chorus, digital reverb, big muff (possibly the English Muff'n OD as Well to really nail the sound), a vary versatile Wah, Phase, and probably even more lol.

You might also want to get new tubes to re-tube it out of the box if your experienced. I'm not sure if egnater has this problem, but alot of companies will put really crappy stock power and pre-amp tubes.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
Getting new is always worth it especially if it's less than a couple hundred dollars difference.

Effects varies alot, and I will tell you why. For the bands you play, you could really utilize something like a multi effects set-up, because there are a handful of effects used throughout the years amongst these artists. You could cut down this section dramatically by concentrating on a handful of songs or perhaps on a couple given albums. For example, RHCP's Mother's Milk would require a Wah, Chorus, and Good Distortion Box while Stadium Arcadium would require all kinds of crazy sh*t including a ring modulator, high quality chorus, digital reverb, big muff (possibly the English Muff'n OD as Well to really nail the sound), a vary versatile Wah, Phase, and probably even more lol.

You might also want to get new tubes to re-tube it out of the box if your experienced. I'm not sure if egnater has this problem, but alot of companies will put really crappy stock power and pre-amp tubes.

i wouldnt know how to re-tube an amp really, although i could definately look it up online and would probably be able to switch em.

um, for pedalwise, i honestly dont need a ton of pedals to get an exact sound for certain songs, just some general pedals to get me closer to the sounds i wanted.

i probably want one of those noise gate things? to cut out the humming? what else?
Last edited by FODICO at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by FODICO

um, for pedalwise, i honestly dont need a ton of pedals to get an exact sound for certain songs, just some general pedals to get me closer to the sounds i wanted.

Thats what i'm saying. If I told you to get the Big Muff but your trying to do songs like Higher Ground or Even Flow your gonna be dissapointed. But okay your generally gonna want a Wah, Big Muff, and a Chorus.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Page 1 of 2