I've been playing the guitar for a long time now and have kept holding off on buying effect pedals. I only have one effect pedal "Metal Muff" and then a multi-effect pedal (which I find to be pretty useless). I am about to join a hard rock/alternative band, so I decided it was time to go pedal shopping. The only pedal I know that I'm going to buy for sure is a Boss RC-3 loop station, which I will only really be using for practicing though. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which pedals I should purchase. I'm only looking for basic pedals (unless you honestly think that I would use a more unique sounding pedal). Also, I don't want to spend anymore than $200 a pedal.
i'd look at my set list and see waht fx are required to play the songs. honestly you usually don't "need " fx unless it is part of your basic sound. the rest is icing on the cake so to speak. personally i only use an overdrive, wah, delay and phaser in my live setup. even then i may only use 1 effect for a small section of a song and then none for the next 3 songs in the set. i'd say a delay or a wah but then it does depend on what exactly you are playing. if you use a lot of cleans then a nice chorus (i don't use a lot of cleans myself)
I was gonna say Jekyll and Hyde Overdrive-Distortion combo, but it's $250 I think.

EDIT: Try Craigslist.
you're a stone fox
It would be really helpful to know what gear you have now, so we can get a good idea of what's going on in your rig.

That said, you don't really need any effects for hard rock/alternative. That stuff for the most part is just plain distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I kind of live by the rule of "if you don't know what you need, you probably don't need anything.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Try a few delays out.
And an EHX MicroPOG.

Other than that... errr... was there anything on the (crappy) multi fx that piqued your interest.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by 3074326
I kind of live by the rule of "if you don't know what you need, you probably don't need anything.

+1

Don't buy pedals for the sake of it. If a few months down the line you find you need something extra (solo boost, something to spice up your cleans) then that is the time to buy pedals
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Quote by Bidley
+1

Don't buy pedals for the sake of it. If a few months down the line you find you need something extra (solo boost, something to spice up your cleans) then that is the time to buy pedals

Disagree, get as much as you can to figure out "your tone".
The problem with recommending is that we don't know what sound speaks to you or how it will end up sounding with all of your equipment. Telling you what to buy is like throwing darts at a dartboard. What kind of multifx do you have and why is it useless?
Perhaps get a boost/OD (or BOTH) for your solos or variety in tone.

A list of what you had now would be great though. :/

I believe delay should be a standard on everyone's board though.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
I think a wah would be a good investment for this type of music.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
delay delay delay delay delay
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 Active
Schecter Damien w/ Seymour Duncan Distortions
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Visual Sound Double Trouble
Line 6 M-5
Quote by ktgmeasap

Your tone should come from your guitar, amp and fingers.. if you're relying on pedals for tone, you shouldn't have bought the amp/guitar you're using. Just my opinion. Why buy an amp if it isn't the sound you want? Same with a guitar.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by ktgmeasap

Stupid as ****. Don't listen to this.

PLAY as much as you can to figure out "your tone." And if you don't hear a hole in your sound, you don't need anything.

Quote by 3074326
Your tone should come from your guitar, amp and fingers.. if you're relying on pedals for tone, you shouldn't have bought the amp/guitar you're using. Just my opinion. Why buy an amp if it isn't the sound you want? Same with a guitar.

There are just so many reasons this is dumb.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by mcraddict81592
Stupid as ****. Don't listen to this.

PLAY as much as you can to figure out "your tone." And if you don't hear a hole in your sound, you don't need anything.

So they should just be restricted to honky tonk...
Quote by fly135
^Who says that you're only supposed to have one sound?

Well, I bought an amp that gave me all the sounds I need. I was looking at it in that way. If you need a bunch of different sounds, it doesn't make sense to me to buy something that locks you into one sound.

Quote by mcraddict81592

It's clearly labeled as an opinion, not trying to pass it as fact. I like my tone to be based on a guitar and an amp. Pedals are a novelty for me. I'd never buy something that didn't give me everything I wanted from it.. Just throwing out my perspective. Although I'd like to hear why you think it's dumb.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by 3074326

Although I'd like to hear why you think it's dumb.

Its obvious he is BB King...
@ktgmesap: I'm not really sure what your issue with me is, I think it's a bad idea to buy a bunch of stuff just to try out different sounds. This in no way means I believe it is a bad idea to try out different sounds.

@3074326:

1) Most people can't afford a great clean amp, and a great dirty amp.
2) Which amp would you suggest for my Fuzz tone?
3) These lists flow better in threes.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

You don't need much pedals.

I have delay,compressor,noise suppressor and overdrive pedal. Next will be solo boost and that will be all I need. First get decent amp,then think about pedals.
Quote by mcraddict81592
@ktgmesap: I'm not really sure what your issue with me is, I think it's a bad idea to buy a bunch of stuff just to try out different sounds. This in no way means I believe it is a bad idea to try out different sounds.

I don't think anyone is right in the ways of music...
Quote by 3074326
Well, I bought an amp that gave me all the sounds I need. I was looking at it in that way. If you need a bunch of different sounds, it doesn't make sense to me to buy something that locks you into one sound.
My amp doesn't lock me into one sound. It amplifies the sound I put into it in a pleasing way. The variety of sound/tones doesn't originate from my amp. It comes from my pedalboard.