I've got two mics, a Mackie Pro FX-12 and a MacBook. I wanna make a really ass-whooping thrash metal recording. How could I make this work? Do I need anything else?
Ooohhh boy....you are definitely new here.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Well you could buy an MBox Mini which is an Audio Interface which comes with Pro Tools (I have this). It's regarded as the industry standard. It can take Phantom Power for one microphone if you need and assuming your microphones are of high quality (I use a Rode M3 for electric guitars) then that's your guitars, bass and vocals sorted. Percussion is a lot harder to successfully mic up but there is some really great software out there. If you use MIDI to create click tracks and assuming it was done in something like Guitar Pro means you can add Percussion. Then you can import that into Pro Tools which has VST software which will allow your programmed Percussion to sound realistic.

So if you can get your hands on an MBox Mini (I have the 2nd version which should be really cheap now), that will take care of all your software needs (Programming and recording) and depending on the quality of your microphones, you might need to buy one.
Last edited by HaydenHohns at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by TheMetalRiffer
I've got two mics, a Mackie Pro FX-12 and a MacBook. I wanna make a really ass-whooping thrash metal recording. How could I make this work? Do I need anything else?

You need LOTS else....

Assuming you want real drums (it IS thrash....):

... and you want recording quality that you would describe to a level that would be "really ass whooping"....

... wow....Okay.....

-An interface with AT LEAST eight inputs - you'll need that for the drums. Expect to spend upwards to $1000 for something that will even come close to "really ass-whooping"
-kick mic - AT LEAST $200 if you go used
-overhead mics - AT LEAST $100
-snare mic - AT LEAST $100 if you go used
-tom mics - AT LEAST $100/mic
-cables and stands as appropriate
-a proper set of monitors - AT LEAST $600
-a proper vocal mic - AT LEAST $350

Now, you can get some of these things cheaper, but if you really want "really ass whooping" recordings, you will need to spend AT LEAST what I have indicated.

You will also need AT LEAST a few years of practicing in recording and mixing before you are good enough at it to make a really great recording.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.