Today I bought an old Acoustic 4x12. It only has two of the original speakers.

First, I want to be able to run it now as a 2x12 and when I get 2 more speakers I wanna run it with my Mesa 2x12.

The seller said the speakers are 8 ohms. The wiring is: there are two wires running from the jack to one speaker, 2 wires running from that speaker to the next, and then 2 wires from that to connect to a third. If that made no sense I can take pictures or make a drawing.

My head can run at 16, 8, or 4 ohms so it doesn't matter what the impedance is now, but to run it with my Mesa (after I get 2 more speakers for this new cab) it would need to be 8 ohms. Am I correct in thinking that I can wire four 8 ohm speakers to create a total load of 8 ohms?

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I just tried to use a multimeter and when connected to the jack (using a speaker cable) it read between 10-8 ohms and when connected to a single speaker it was in the area of 16... which makes me think that the speakers actually 16 ohms each. and that would mean I would need 4 new speakers to run it at 8 ohms total.
Last edited by phoenix_crush at Jun 20, 2011,
guitar 4x12's are generally wired in a 'series parallel' circuit.

this wiring would be a total of 8 ohm impedance if you use 8 ohm speakers.

so, yes, your reasoning is correct
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well now it seems that the speakers are 16 ohm each. Four 16 ohm speakers in parallel would be 4 ohm, correct? If so, would I be able to rewire my Mesa (2x12 with 16 ohm speakers at 8 ohm total) to 4 ohm and run them together? Or would I need to get all new speakers for the 4x12 to run it at 8 ohm?
Last edited by phoenix_crush at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by phoenix_crush
Well now it seems that the speakers are 16 ohm each. 4 16 ohm speakers in parallel would be 4 ohm, correct? If so, I should be able to rewire my Mesa (2x12 with 16 ohm speakers at 8 ohm total) to 4 ohm and run them together, right?

the simple answer... not really.

what head are you using this for?

i am guessing your guitar head won't handle a 2 ohm load and that is what your amp would be seeing with two 4 ohm cabs run in parallel.

-ae
Yeah, that wouldn't work. So is there any way to get a 4x12 with 16 ohm speakers running at 8 ohm or would I have to get 8 ohm speakers?
Quote by phoenix_crush
Yeah, that wouldn't work. So is there any way to get a 4x12 with 16 ohm speakers running at 8 ohm or would I have to get 8 ohm speakers?

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html

that says you'll have to get 8 ohm speakers.

-ae
alright, well any recs for cheapish speakers? I want a big, powerful sound. Something that will counteract the brightness of my amp+tele (I need less treble) and can handle cleans as well as lots of gain. I don't want speaker breakup at all. And I want to be as loud as possible.
unfortunately, my tastes are rich. you may wanna start a new thread with the whole budget, genre, uses, etc thing. i'd recommend some awesome speakers that are expensive as hell.

but eminence has a number of good options, may wanna start there.

-ae
Alright, I'll see if this gets any hits and if not I'll start a new thread. Thanks for all your help.
np man

-ae