Alright, so I am saving money for college, and at the same time, hoping to save some cash for my gear, and for college, I'd already decided to take my Pod XT live so as to allow for recording and silent playing for respect to my roommate, but I'd like to upgrade...

So, do I get...

Pod HD 500: HD models and M series effects, probably the best quality I can get from line 6, but more expensive than my other option, also, has a pedalboard built in for ease of switching, etc

Line 6 UX2: audio interface that has a guitar and mic input, also comes with Pod Farm 2.5, so much easier for recording, and can record other instruments with a mic, but perhaps not the best quality models

Which of these you think? Also open to other options, but $500 dollars is the limit and I want it to be a definite upgrade from my POD XT live

Thanks!
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
I haven't used a HD500 yet but the PodFarm amp models are fantastic if you know how to dial them in properly. The metalshop pack uses models from the HD147 amp check out the songs on my profile they're all recorded with PodFarm and a UX2
I'd get the UX2 if you have a good computer, but don't use podfarm, get Reaper and some free amp sims like LePou or TSE with impulses. That way you can record songs on your computer with great quality, also good for jamming along to tracks (just load into reaper and play along, or record to it). Also make sure to set the input gain correctly on the UX2, else it'll sound like shit.
I don't know if the sound is better than the pod xt live, but the rp1000 tones are very good. I have the rp355, which has the same sound quality as the rp1000 except the rp1000 has more foot switches and more amp models and effects. Go check it out.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
if i were you i'd go for the pod hd. the sounds are an upgrade from the xt, and you can still record with its usb out. and it has a looper, which is really awesome for when you cant jam AKA when you live in a dorm. haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah, I've been hearing very good things about the Pod hd series. Go check those out.
Quote by kutless999
I don't know if the sound is better than the pod xt live, but the rp1000 tones are very good. I have the rp355, which has the same sound quality as the rp1000 except the rp1000 has more foot switches and more amp models and effects. Go check it out.

Haha I always see yoU promoting the rp series

I'd personally go with the ux2 if you have a great computer, if not then the other. Etheir way there both great pieces of gear so no big worry in making the wrong choice!
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
well......

the way my college works is that they get everyone to get the same laptop so that everyone can run the same software and they can integrate more computer stuff and don't have to worry about someone having a crappy computer

so here's my laptop:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-w520.aspx

so in a word, yes, beasty
(going to Rose-Hulman has it's perks )
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Holy sh*t that's a strong laptop!!!
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Quote by ShortSpaceWAng
Holy sh*t that's a strong laptop!!!

you being facetious? it has a PC Mark Vantage score of around 11,000, which is about 4 times better than the desktop i'm currently using :P

translation, it's using an i7 quad core with 4 gigs of ram
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by Metalmaker
you being facetious? it has a PC Mark Vantage score of around 11,000, which is about 4 times better than the desktop i'm currently using :P

translation, it's using an i7 quad core with 4 gigs of ram

lolwut. But seriously get the Pod Farm one, I'm pretty sure there's plug-ins for more amps and effects, free or not, you can upgrade later.
you're a stone fox
two of the things that somewhat irks me about the Pod Farm option though are these:

1: are the models really better than the pod i currently have?

2: how in the hell will i use a wah or change anything such as that without clicking or using a keyboard?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by ShortSpaceWAng
Haha I always see yoU promoting the rp series

I'd personally go with the ux2 if you have a great computer, if not then the other. Etheir way there both great pieces of gear so no big worry in making the wrong choice!

I highly recommend the new rp series. You get so much for the price you pay and the tones are great.

Anyway, @metalmaker,since you have that beastly computer, you should just get the ux2.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 20, 2011,
Yes I was right, here's a link to a plug-in for Pod Farm, you should get the ux2 now and upgrade Pod Farm whenever you can.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Metalmaker
two of the things that somewhat irks me about the Pod Farm option though are these:

1: are the models really better than the pod i currently have?

2: how in the hell will i use a wah or change anything such as that without clicking or using a keyboard?

1: No, that's why you get LePou/TSE/Ignite stuff, about as realistic as it gets with amp modelling today.

2: Either get a pedal, or automate a wah plugin if you really have to use a wah... Most overused effect in the world but to each their own.
I'd prefer the HD500. You can record with it with the USB interface. It's got a mic input as well. It has a software editor/librarian to use with it on the computer. Don't know if the GUI is the same as Pod Farm.

You also get a 40 sec looper. Not to mention the floorboard vs. computer. I really can't see getting the UX2. I've got a Toneport KB37, which is pretty much the same thing and it sits on the shelf most of the time.
Alright, after looking at the specs for the UX2 in greater detail, it's not compatible with windows 7

That being said, the recording specs of the interface were also uninteresting, so, anyone know of a good interface that can do direct line in and mics for less than $300 US dollars?
Thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by Metalmaker
Alright, after looking at the specs for the UX2 in greater detail, it's not compatible with windows 7

That being said, the recording specs of the interface were also uninteresting, so, anyone know of a good interface that can do direct line in and mics for less than $300 US dollars?
Thanks

I use my UX2 with Windows 7 Ultimate every day..

I personally think PodFarm sounds huge and for home recording it's hard to beat but as I said I haven't used a HD500 yet.
for just an interface, check out the presonus audiobox. i use one for direct recording and i love it a lot
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
for just an interface, check out the presonus audiobox. i use one for direct recording and i love it a lot

That's a good point as PodFarm 2.5 doesn't require a Line 6 interface anymore
Well I was looking at the UX2 specifically because it came with Pod Farm 2.5 :-P

@AxSilentxLine: anything specific I should know about the UX2? Also, how do the Pod Farm amps compare to things like lepou?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by Metalmaker
Well I was looking at the UX2 specifically because it came with Pod Farm 2.5 :-P

@AxSilentxLine: anything specific I should know about the UX2? Also, how do the Pod Farm amps compare to things like lepou?

Personally i'm not a fan of LePou's stuff I can never get it to sound any good

The UX2 is a pretty basic unit for the price you can pick up a 3rd party interface and the PodFarm 2.5 software
No I meant it, that's an amazing laptop

And seriously with that strong of a laptop you could get a really good interface, sorry I'm no future help on which one
The reaper and vsts was a good idea though!
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Personally i'm not a fan of LePou's stuff I can never get it to sound any good

Sorry to say this but then you're failing miserably. I find it harder to get a tone I couldn't top with LePou or TSE in Pod farm.

But yeah you don't have to go for the Line 6 stuff, plenty of other interfaces available in that price range. Of course some of the stuff that comes with the UX series (90% of which is not included in the free version) can be somewhat useful I guess if you're not good with using any other plugins.
Quote by Ascendant
Sorry to say this but then you're failing miserably. I find it harder to get a tone I couldn't top with LePou or TSE in Pod farm.

But yeah you don't have to go for the Line 6 stuff, plenty of other interfaces available in that price range. Of course some of the stuff that comes with the UX series (90% of which is not included in the free version) can be somewhat useful I guess if you're not good with using any other plugins.

I run LePou's stuff in Ableton 8 and have never gotten a good tone I dunno

His cab impulses are nice but the amps are not.
I'd say it's the other way around, I'm guessing you're using the impulses bundled with Lecab 1? You should really get yourself some Redwirez, or at least the (good) free stuff that's floating around like s-spres high, asem v30, God's cab and such.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jun 21, 2011,
Dude, get the HD500, you can bypass the tones on the HD500 and use it as a USB interface only if you wish, and the amp simulation is much better than POD Farm, plus having the footswitches available is an awesome feature. Although I use a UX1 with POD Farm and it sounds pretty sweet, but I'm getting a POD XT Pro and an FCB1010 soon which will be even better.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Ascendant
I'd say it's the other way around, I'm guessing you're using the impulses bundled with Lecab 1? You should really get yourself some Redwirez, or at least the (good) free stuff that's floating around like s-spres high, asem v30, God's cab and such.

Yeah i've dabbled with Redwirez impulses before but haven't really experimented too much yet
Honestly I'd try and save for the HD500. Like everyone else said, you can still record with it and the models are better than pod farm. Also, L6 has been releasing new amp models for it in firmware updates so it has more than 16 amp models now irc. Not to mention if you ever decided to play out or jam without a comp, just plug the HD into an amp or headphones and you're gold.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Nothing,because I wouldn't pay to have a childhood fear strip for me,no matter what sick variation of the clown car routine they come up with.

Taste the Meat, Not the Heat.
LISTEN TO DEVIN TOWNSEND!
Alright then, seems the hd is the way to go since it can still be an interface on it's own, but here is my last question,

Whether to get an interface or the hd hinged on how good my computer is, and since it was good, people suggested the interface, well since the pod hd CAN act like an interface, would it be as good as an interface?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious