Sorry for asking so many questions, but I insist on learning guitar without an instructor... haha

Anyway, so when I am practicing, I realized that it is very difficult to keep my fingers close to the guitar neck. Is there a technique for that? I feel like my fingers are like out of control, like they're paralyzed or something...
One technique I use is to place the tips of my fingers on the strings.

Boom-tish

In my opinion you're worrying about something thats not overly important, or its hard to describe in words what you are experiencing.

Your thumb is touching the neck in some way, I assume? If so, sorry but just keep at it and it will start to feel more natural. Your fingers just need more time to practice- stick at it- things will get better.

Its a reasonably hard instrument to play, the guitar.

Your fingers may feel "paralysed" because they dont know where to go...and thats just a practice thing I think.

Good luck and keep at it!
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Take a look at this:
http://www.pbguitarstudio.com/GuitarLessonPDF.html
Go down to Left Hand Exercises and view the Bad Technique PDF. See items 6, 9, and 10. Is that what you're talking about?

I used to do this for a long time, especially the pinky. You can get away with it until you start doing fast runs and then all the extra distance you are moving your finger through will be your limiting factor. Your fingers probably aren't used to moving independently of each other and so they don't have the strength/coordination. I trained myself not to do it by staring at my hand and watching closely how far away my fingers were coming off the fret board.

It took a lot of repetition to build the muscle memory. I think I started with one finger (1-2-1-2, 1-3-1-3, etc), switched to the other fingers, then added some runs, keeping it on one string. So 4-3-2-1-2-3-4 over and over... Start higher up around the 12th fret and high E or B string so you aren't stretching your fingers to do this. You can add that in later.

disclaimer: I'm also self-taught (and from reading) so this is just what worked for me.

--edit- also, try to relax your fingers.
Last edited by black_box at Jun 21, 2011,
Wow that bad technique thing is so helpful... Especially I don't have like an instructor to pinpoint my weakness. Thanks. Ultimately, I think I can fix this issue by practicing...
That website was awful. Sorry PB guitar, have you ever seen Vai play?
Not to mention Paul Gilberts crazy flying fingers. (i play thumb over 80% of the time)
TS- I wouldnt be that worried about it. If its really bugging you, slow way down and watch your fingers. Use the least amount of force you can to play the note then release by releaxing your finger. Dont pull away. Relax the finger and it'll come off a little.
Good luck.
i was diagnosed with a fine motor problem. if i wanted to move my fingers a millimeter off the string, they would fly up 2 inches (out of my control, or just shake in random directions). what i did is focus intently on using the correct grip and having very little tension in my hand. and then i practiced this for like 6 months straight:

D--------------------------|
A----7--------------------|
E------10-8-7-8-10------|

repeat x∞

which is a pattern paul gilbert uses a lot (he plays that at like 200bpm 4/4, 8th notes(?)) and this really got me started on resolving my fingering issues.
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Jun 21, 2011,
Here's one idea, play a scale, exercise or whatever you want but in your normal left hand position just have your fingertips touch the strings. What you should hear is a muted note or harmonic. Keep the left hand relaxed and then add some pressure a little at a time until the notes start to come into focus. This will help with teaching your hand and brain to keep the left hand relaxed.
It's work a shot!

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joepinnavaia.com
Quote by DimebagZappa
That website was awful. Sorry PB guitar, have you ever seen Vai play?
Not to mention Paul Gilberts crazy flying fingers. (i play thumb over 80% of the time)
TS- I wouldnt be that worried about it. If its really bugging you, slow way down and watch your fingers. Use the least amount of force you can to play the note then release by releaxing your finger. Dont pull away. Relax the finger and it'll come off a little.
Good luck.

Yeah, he's not the messiah of guitar practice I just found his page the other day and those picture examples seemed relevant here. Take his notes on bad technique with a grain of salt. He seems more accepting of alternate techniques in his picking videos. I wouldnt be able to play with my thumb over, it would stretch my hands/fingers too much even on my thin ibanez neck. Really high frets? my thumb comes out from under the neck so I can hit lower strings. Oh well.

Justin's video looks good to me.
Yea, I mainly want to fix this problem, because I know it's bad technique and i want get it fixed before it becomes a habit. I did the harmonic thing, and you're right, it works... Well, at least my fingers don't pop up as high as before. I think I was putting too much emphasis on my wrist rather than my fingers, that's why.
Quote by Marshmelllow
which is a pattern paul gilbert uses a lot (he plays that at like 200bpm 4/4, 8th notes(?)) and this really got me started on resolving my fingering issues.

Try 16ths man, I could down pick 8ths.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.