how do u remove the lacquer off a neck...i want the true wood feel on a used bass i bought
Who's your daddy... well not me cuz ur momas ugly

These things are sex transport vehichles woot

This man just got a station wagon.
Sand it off with sand paper.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
^ that. You can mess around with chemicals and strippers but usually it's faster, better and easier to just sand it off. Start out with around 100-150 grit, or less if it's thick, and work your way up.
Over time without the finish your neck will warp due to the acid in your sweat, at least thats what warmoth say
When you say true wood feel what are you actually comparing it to? There cant be many necks that dont have any finish on them what so ever.

You're best option is it rub it down with some 0000 grade steel wool to give it a smooth satin feel.

Removing the lacquer will loose all the moisture protection and will also allow the wood to get clogged with dirt, which on something like maple will look very ugly.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i want it to be like my strat which doesnt have a lacquer neck...i thought it was just plain wood...i seem to get stuck because of the coating on this neck unlike my strat
Who's your daddy... well not me cuz ur momas ugly

These things are sex transport vehichles woot

This man just got a station wagon.
Not sure what kind of paint you have but Nitro is known for being sticky. If you just use some Gibson pump polish or actually play it the stickiness goes away. And the strat most likely has a thin poly coat on the neck.
Sand paper is easily the best option for this but as others have said it will allow moisture and dirt into the wood if its not protected
Quote by Absent Mind
When you say true wood feel what are you actually comparing it to? There cant be many necks that dont have any finish on them what so ever.

You're best option is it rub it down with some 0000 grade steel wool to give it a smooth satin feel.

Removing the lacquer will loose all the moisture protection and will also allow the wood to get clogged with dirt, which on something like maple will look very ugly.

This. 0000 steel wool will give it a satin feel pretty quickly. I'd suggest taping off the back of the headstock, and the heel where you want the 'satin' to end and you'll get a perfectly clean line. This is what I do to all my necks the second the guitars come home.

On my warmoth build, I did it already. I sprayed it with nitro, after all the finishing was done, taped it off, and scuffed it up with the steel wool. The benefit i had was that I only grainfilled the neck with 1 coat of filler, so I still have wood grain that I can see, and feel. I scuffed off the sticky feel of the nitro with the steel wool.

really, whats the worst that can happen? You're planning on taking ALL the finish off, so why don't you just try scuffing it up with the steel wool first. I'm pretty sure if you take off all the finish it will ultimately damage the neck over the years.