my friend was complaining about his epi sg and that he can't bar chords on it. he mentioned something about epiphones having "flat necks" which prevents him from barring chords.he then wanted a strat instead. is this true that epiphones have flat necks , or my friend has weird fingers or my friend knows nothing about guitars and their necks?

also, this description may sound confusing, but this is what he said word for word.
Im gunna guess he means wide..not nessisarily flat...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
No, he means flat and he's right. Epiphone guitars have a fretboard radius of 14" which is really flat. In fact it's flatter than they should be. The tune-o bridges that Epiphones have really need a 11" or 12" radius but flatter radius fretboards are a little easier to make. Flatter radius means the string won't choke out when bending and some people find it faster to play on but it does make chording and especially barre chords a little harder, especially higher up the neck. Notes shouldn't choke out on anything beyond 10" radius and people have played fast on 9.5" and even 7.25" radius for decades so personally I think that any radius more than 12" is pointless overkill.
wut. epiphone is like gibson at a 12.

you can barre on anything.

tell your friend to keep practicing.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I have no problem doing barre chords on a 15" radius with medium frets, or a 17" radius with jumbo fretwire. Some people prefer rounder radii for comfort, but it shouldn't impede your playing for the most part.
Tell him to go look at the necks on classical guitars. That should shut him up.
i'm fine with mine, he says he wants a strat because they have a more "curvier" neck or something like that
Yeah most Strats have either a 7.25" vintage radius or a 9.5" modern radius. It's a very different feel to the 14" radius of Epiphones.

You can split the difference with Mighty Mite necks which have a 9.5"-12" compound radius, which means they start off quite curved but get flatter and flatter the further up you go.
Quote by jpnyc
Tell him to go look at the necks on classical guitars. That should shut him up.

No kidding, crazy wide fretboards.

I never have any issues fretting bar chords on my Strat with the 9.5 radius, but I also don't have any problems fretting bar chords on a Gibson Les Paul either... But I do have problems fretting bar chords on my Takamine acoustic with a 9.5 or 10 radius, but that's because I'm not used to the .012 gauge brass string tension...
if you can barre on one electric, you can on them all, assuming they are at least half assed set up.

doing other more advanced techniques (i.e. sweep arpeggios)is where a different raidius may impact you a little bit, but more or less its a factor of getting used to it.

i think one compounded fretboard guitar i had had like i want to say 20" or 22" radius up top.

so if you can't bar it practice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you can barre on one electric, you can on them all, assuming they are at least half assed set up.

doing other more advanced techniques (i.e. sweep arpeggios)is where a different raidius may impact you a little bit, but more or less its a factor of getting used to it.

i think one compounded fretboard guitar i had had like i want to say 20" or 22" radius up top.

so if you can't bar it practice.

I'd disagree. I mean, yeah, you CAN barre on them all, but some of them are a pain in the ass. For instance, I play my 50's series strat, the neck on that is hard to barre on for me, my wrist cramps up much faster than if I'm playing on my family's frankentele that has a thick, wide, almost baseball bat (but VERY comfy) neck. I love my strat to death, but barre chords on her get tiring much faster than on other guitars I've played and she's quite well set up. I've "gotten used to" it, but if I get the chance to play the tele for a barre chord heavy song, I jump at it.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.