So, I'm buying an amp of Craigslist and I'm meeting the guy the guy in a public parking lot. I won't really have access to electricity and I'm not bringing my guitar. Is there any ways to "kick the tires" so to speak? Could I check the wiring and/or valves? I'm not letting the guy come to my house because I don't wanna be murder/robbed and/or raped. Thanks in advance!
you're a stone fox
He would be a pretty crappy scammer if he made it that easy to see that the amp was faulty.

Why don't you just take your mum or dad with you to the sellers house to try it out? People don't normally give you their address if they are going to murder you.
Why don't you just bring a friend to the guy's house? Or have a friend(s) with you if he comes to your house?

I've been to strangers houses and invited strangers into my house many times for Craigs List. It's really not that big of a deal. As long as there are witnesses around, there really isn't anything that can go wrong.

I've found through my many transactions that most people are actually really nice, and are just as into gear as you are.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by joe_k
He would be a pretty crappy scammer if he made it that easy to see that the amp was faulty.

Why don't you just take your mum or dad with you to the sellers house to try it out? People don't normally give you their address if they are going to murder you.

I wouldn't give my address to someone on Craigslist and wouldn't expect someone to give me theirs. If it is broken, I could probably fix it with the help of this forum, people here seem to know everything.
you're a stone fox
Meet him at a guitar center. Tell them you want to hear a new guitar on your own amp. You get to hear the amp and play a new guitar. Once you have played with it for long enough take it out and pay the guy.

Everybody wins. Except guitar center of course, but who cares, they suck.
troubleshooting anything electronic is not as easy as jumping on this forum and asking for advice. Considering you are 13, or for anyone even me, understanding and fixing electric circuits might be a little bit difficult. It is definately a good idea to start reading up and learning things about electric circuits but for now you probably don't have the knowledge or know how to be able to fix an amp.

I have been to plenty of people's houses to buy and sell gear. There is no harm in asking if you can go over and play the amp at his house. the worst he could do is say no and best case scenario is you try it, it works and you buy it.
I like these threads, the ones where the ts asks for advice then doesn't like it so he gives himself the answer he wants to hear

OT: you should go to his house with someone to try it or make him agree if you bring it home and try it out and it doesn't work you get it trade it back.
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
When I bought my guitar on craigslist I went over to the dudes house to try it out and pick it up.
You can probably imagine the look on my face when I realized the house I was going to was in the "ghetto" and out front was a huge hulking black man mowing the lawn.

He was a nice guy and had only played the guitar a few times at church.

Moral of the story is going to their house to try it out isn't as bad as people make it out to be, I guess.
You really should try it before you buy it.
i have probably done 50+ deals on CL just in the last year. i have done enough deals, where i have done two deals with the same person six months later not knowing until we recognize eachother, and say "hey how is that _____ working for you".
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/