Page 1 of 2
They did it in rats, and are now doing studies on monkeys which is closer to humans obviously

After studying the chemical interactions that allow short-term learning and memorization in rats, a group of scientists lead by Dr. Theodore Berger—from the University of South California's Viterbi School of Engineering—have built a prosthetic chip that uses electrodes to enhance and expand their memory abilities. The chip is capable of storing neural signals, basically functioning as an electronic memory, allowing rats to learn more and keep it in the devices.

Dr. Berger's description:

"Flip the switch on, and the rats remember. Flip it off, and the rats forget [...] These integrated experimental modeling studies show for the first time that with sufficient information about the neural coding of memories, a neural prosthesis capable of real-time identification and manipulation of the encoding process can restore and even enhance cognitive mnemonic processes.

They are hoping this can lead to cures in diseases such as Alzheimers and stroke.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/usc-restoring-memory-repairing-damaged-brains-124051534.html
http://gizmodo.com/5813821/scientists-create-first-memory-expansion-for-brain
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Awwwwwesome. I could benefit from something like this.
My God, it's full of stars!
I'm waiting for the day I can buy information implants. Med school? nah, just buy the medical encyclopedia implant and flip the switch - now I know Medicine.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by JimmyBanks6
They did it in rats, and are now doing studies on monkeys which is closer to humans obviously

Why is that obviously? Humans are no closer related to monkeys than they are to rats, God created man so that he could exercise dominion over the animals.
Planet of the Apes, all I can think of.

Really though, this sounds good.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by RU Experienced?
Why is that obviously? Humans are no closer related to monkeys than they are to rats, God created man so that he could exercise dominion over the animals.

I wish you were being serious
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Must acquire immediately.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
say, i wonder if its possible to store artificial memories in these. or if you take one out of one person and put it in another, is there like a highlander thing going on? or what?
Quote by RU Experienced?
...I am being serious?

SCORE ONE FOR TEAM LOGIC! Finally someone logical on UG! Sorry for doubting, but since it's UG I can only take people's posts as sarcasm. I am glad you are serious.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Holy shitballs.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Brendan.Clace
SCORE ONE FOR TEAM LOGIC! Finally someone logical on UG! Sorry for doubting, but since it's UG I can only take people's posts as sarcasm. I am glad you are serious.

Protip:

Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by Brendan.Clace

I take my faith very seriously and I can understand your initial skepticism since there's a lot of brooding teenage atheists rebelling against authority on here. I went through a phase where my faith wavered as well.
Quote by RU Experienced?
...I am being serious?

ololol

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by ethan_hanus
So? We just gonna hook up external hard drives to our brain and back up whatever we want to...just like with a computer?

I call foul play.

no you're not considering the limitations. im assuming to actually store one memory as vividly as we do, would take terabytes of digital storage.
Quote by jsync
no you're not considering the limitations. im assuming to actually store one memory as vividly as we do, would take terabytes of digital storage.

no it wouldnt, consider a movie with sounds, then add the same amount of memory for feelings, boom, memory, since our memory is hazy, id say a good memory takes a few hundred Mb

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
no it wouldnt, consider a movie with sounds, then add the same amount of memory for feelings, boom, memory, since our memory is hazy, id say a good memory takes a few hundred Mb

no. thats not how it works. you need to think about it in neurons, the amount of neurons need to store 1 memory. hell the amount of terabytes needed to store even 1% of neurons is over 11,000. but then again that wouldn't even act like a neuron does.

that might be a bonus though. imagine solid state memory.
Last edited by jsync at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by jsync

Not if we apply chroma upsampling.
Quote by jsync
no. thats not how it works. you need to think about it in neurons, the amount of neurons need to store 1 memory. hell the amount of terabytes needed to store even 1% of neurons is over 11,000. but then again that wouldn't even act like a neuron does.

/talking about things he knows nothing about.

Cool story bro.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by jsync

Pfft, everbody knows tubes are better n00b
pinga
Guys we have no idea how this shit works.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
If they manage to develop this for humans, I'd use it. So much.

I dream about having an eidetic memory sometimes. This will get me that much closer.
Quote by CG Man16
/talking about things he knows nothing about.

Cool story bro.

oh get off it. like you own a doctorate in this shit.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I take my faith very seriously and I can understand your initial skepticism since there's a lot of brooding teenage atheists rebelling against authority on here. I went through a phase where my faith wavered as well.

Not sure if serious..... Mainly because of exactly what you stated.

I'm a Christian too, so I'll stand with you against the onslaught of atheists who are going to insult you because of your faith.

Quote by ethan_hanus

I'm a Christian too, so I'll stand with you against the onslaught of atheists who are going to insult you because of your faith.

there's a difference between being reasonable/logical and insulting.
Quote by jsync
welp i was wrong:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-is-the-memory-capacity

its actually calculated at 2.5 petabytes, which 1% of is like 25 terabytes.

Yet the free portion of the article cites no basis for how that number was determined. I'm sure the human brain is capable of storing vast amounts of information, but I don't know of any credible studies that begin to suggest a concrete number on the maximum storage capacity.

Quote by ethan_hanus

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by jsync
welp i was wrong:

still isnt any reason why a memory would use up 1 terabyte however.

our memory is extremely hazy, doesnt make sense that it would use that much per memory

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by jsync
oh get off it. like you own a doctorate in this shit.

Quote by jsync
welp i was wrong:

I am only a humble student working towards a degree in molecular biology, but even I can see that your Secondary source cites nothing and does not explain where the information came from. Learn to science properly. Now I'll go back to making stupid jokes that no one finds funny.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

our memory is extremely hazy, doesnt make sense that it would use that much per memory

i suppose. perhaps most of the data produced is the affect of imagination on the said memory. in that case we're set.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Check your codecs man.
Page 1 of 2