I've been messing around on my keyboard, and I made something up, but I have next to no theory knowledge, so I have no idea what key it's in.

Here are the chords:
Bm
Bmmaj7
Bm7
Emaj7
Em
F#7

I believe these are the correct names, but I had to use a chord name finder to get the names so there's chance they're wrong :/ Help would greatly be appreciated.
That minor / minor (maj7) / minor7 thing is qute common in jazz ballads im sure.
Id say your key is Bm (relative minor of D major, two sharps).
Edit: You could use B harmonic minor over that F#7 chord if you're improvising, that would be very tasteful.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jun 21, 2011,
Yep, Bm.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
This may not really help you but ill share a tip that Ive picked up for spotting the key: (warning requires some knowledge of major scale and chord construction, and roman numerals as chord symbols. If you get lost in what im about to say perhaps you should take a look at The Crusades articles on this site, they're good, easy to digest theory lessons)

One fairly reliable way to work out the key is to look for a dominant7 chord - if your progression is diatonic (and doesnt use all dominant chords like is common in blues/funk etc) then if you know how to harmonise the notes of the major scale into 7th chords (in D major it goes 1- Dmaj7, 2- Em7, 3- F#m7, 4- Gmaj7, 5- A7, 6- Bm7, 7- C#dim) then you will know that there is only one dominant 7th chord in each key, and its always the fifth chord (1-D 2-E 3-F# 4-G 5-A).
Therefore if you spot a A7 chord chances are you are in D major. As I've started getting into playing jazz songs this proves useful as the keys change quite often, but if I see a dominant7 chord coming up (usually as a ii V I) Ill know which key Im about to go into.

If you're still with me then read on for some explanation of how the fifth chord works in minor keys and why the harmonic minor scale exists ...

However, your example is in a minor key, and the fifth chord of a minor key technically shouldnt be a dominant7, strictly speaking.
(confused? look back at the chord sequence I wrote out for D major, but start counting from the sixth chord, Bm, which is the relative minor. It goes 1- Bm7 2- C#dim ... 5- F#m7)

In the key of B minor the fifth chord should be F#m7, but you'll notice that this isnt true in your example (where a F#7 is played instead), or indeed most examples in any music. Most often the fifth chord in a minor key is played as a dominant7 chord.

This is because having the fifth chord of a minor key as a minor chord is just too damn depressing sounding for most music, so a long time ago (I think it was Bach and his contemporaries) decided to use a major chord (more specifically a dominant7th chord) because this has a much stronger resolution to the tonic chord (the third of that chord will be just a semitone away from the root note of the tonic chord) and just sounds much better.

Changing the third of this chord from minor (or minor7) to major (or dominant7) has an effect on the notes that could be used to play a melody/solo over this chord. This new scale hat has been created is called the harmonic minor scale.

Ill write down the B (natural) minor scale and Ill highlight the notes of the fifth chord (F#m triad);
B C# D E F# G A
Ill now write the notes of the B harmonic minor scale, highlighting the notes of the new fifth chord (F# triad);
B C# D E F# G A#
Ergo, major (dominant7) fifth chord in minor key derived from harmonic minor scale. Or the other way round, depending on your outlook on life.

I realise that Ive strayed pretty far from my original point here, but I can hope that a few lurkers at least have learned something.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jun 21, 2011,