I recently join the band. 10 years of absence to play the guitar....

Anyway, I am currently thinking to buy some effectors to make the sound of Smooth Criminal cover by Alien Ant Farm.

Does anyone know what kind of compact effectors can make such sound?
I am wondering BOSS Mega Distortion will work or not. Any recommendation on Boostor?

The budget is not much. So no choice to purchase amps.
Amps that I use will be the basic ones set in our studio like Marchall JCM2000 or Roland JC-120.

We also play like Linkin Park songs, so hope that I can use effectors to play their songs, too.
I've seen them in concert a couple times, and I agree with darkwolf291, I don't think I see them using any sort of pedal for that song.
alien ant farm is using what sounds like a fairly heavy distortion on top of some heavier palm muting for hte intro. i think they get their sound a little more unique like that beacuse the bass is almost pushing thru more than the guitar. linkin park i think just uses a nice overdrive so you could just put a tubescreamer in front of the amp and try for a nice tone from it.

im sure if you were to google these things u can find complete pedal boards, amp settings, and pedal settings for these guys
Thanks everyone. I try to boost JCM to make sound of alien ant farm. I have tubescreamer so try to put it in front of the amp to make the sound of linkin park.
Last edited by takashih at Jul 19, 2011,
They use Dual Rectos like everyone else of that era... You want a Dr. Boogie pedal. Look them up on youtube. You can buy them in a variety of places or build it yourself.