My shitty ibanez 15 watt is kinda dying not that I was any good anyway. I'm looking for a new amp preferably at $200 or under, maybe $300 cuz samash.com is having a sale. Inplan to use this mainly for practice but I want to be able to gf and record with it if I find a band. Any suggestions? I play mostly classic\hard rock, alternative and metal.
Us and Them
Also a speedy reply would be great considering this sale ends after tomorrow.
Us and Them
You aren't going to get a great amp for that price. Its just the simple truth. You can get something good enough (and loud enough) to play with a band, but gigs are not going to sound very good. Its just the simple truth. Now that being said, go for something used that has a big price drop from the normal price. This will allow you to get a mid-range amp. You're gonna want around 60-100 solid state watts to keep up with a drummer.

But remember, it will not be a great amp. Its the simple truth that nothing that cheap is going to be good. It will allow you to improve, and play with a band, but don't expect a lot of good gigging out of it, especially if you want a high gain sound. Recordings won't be that great either, but its what you can afford man, I'm just trying to keep it real.

Now go forth, and begin your journey into the world of playing in a band!
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Here's how to get something awesome at that price:
1: read up on tube and circuit types. Learn what to expect from, say, an old amp with two EL84s and a tube rectifier.
2: go to eBay and go into the Vintage (Pre-1985) section.
3: go to the amp category and narrow your search to amps at $150 and under, and sort by Time: Ending Soonest.
4: check the technical details of each tube amp, even the ones labeled PA or organ. You can guess a lot of an old tube amps' characteristics by their tube complement, and do a little digging to get more details.
5: buy one, try it out, if you don't like it resell it.
6: ???
7: profit!
8: start a new internet meme to replace the "profit" thing.

A lot of the old tube amps that you can now get for $100 or so are of top-notch build and sound quality. Of course, a lot aren't, but prices are very stable, so if it doesn't meet your expectations you can resell it.

None of them will work well for metal, but keep in mind that Jimmy Page used amps in the studio of a kind and quality you can now get for $100-$200, so...there's that?
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jun 20, 2011,
vht special 6. i have the ultra but these r great amps. handwired and amazing tone out of them. takes pedals very very well. pristine cleans, nice crunch, and with my mxr fullbore in front of it, searing high gain. awesome TUBE amp and is very affordable
Quote by andrerist
vht special 6. i have the ultra but these r great amps. handwired and amazing tone out of them. takes pedals very very well. pristine cleans, nice crunch, and with my mxr fullbore in front of it, searing high gain. awesome TUBE amp and is very affordable

is the amp capable of producing hi gain tones for metal or will i need a pedal? im currently trying to sell my digitech rp200a and hopefully get my friends line 6 pod but until i do i want my amp to be able to produce heavy tones without any pedals.
Us and Them
also i dont care about the gigging as much as i do about having an amp to practice on and maybe do simple recordings.
Us and Them
Peavey Vypyr. decent for practice and has a usb out for recording to your computer. not really going to be a good band amp but as has been mentioned you budget is to low for that.
Quote by crazysnake
is the amp capable of producing hi gain tones for metal or will i need a pedal? im currently trying to sell my digitech rp200a and hopefully get my friends line 6 pod but until i do i want my amp to be able to produce heavy tones without any pedals.

the amp gives a very nice crunch at higher volumes. given that it is a tube amp, the more u push it, the better it will sound. but, all in all, no, you cant really get a super high gain tone for metal. i currently have an mxr fullbore metal ($99 usd) and it gives me the exact tone that i have been after since day one of playing guitar. many people will say that you really cant use a pedal to find the tone your after and in most cases i agree. however, the tone of the amp is pristine, i run the pedal over the clean channel and it sounds perfect. it isnt a thin tone, it sounds like tru, amp distortion. i have tried a ton of different distortions and overdrives and this was my favorite.

also, to the person that suggested the vypyr, i had a vypyr 75 and i only ever had issues with it. tone wasnt good, sounded awful at higher volumes, and it had to be reset often. i was in awe of all the "cool" features and effects of the amp but i came to realize that you dont need all those things to sound good.
Acually I've been looking At the VHT special ultra 6 and it seems really cool for the price. My housemate who has been playing for way longer also recommended it. M only question is should I get the combo for $320 or the head for $280? Both seem pretty much the same except one is an amp and the other is a head. I'm just trying to figure out which is the better investment at the moment.
Us and Them
If you want that hard rock sound, a Roland Cube is always a great option to consider.

Then again... 90% of amps have that hard rock sound....

... but don't get an MG. They suck.
How about a Jet City? I am considering the 20 watt head for my next purchase.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by crazysnake
Acually I've been looking At the VHT special ultra 6 and it seems really cool for the price. My housemate who has been playing for way longer also recommended it. M only question is should I get the combo for $320 or the head for $280? Both seem pretty much the same except one is an amp and the other is a head. I'm just trying to figure out which is the better investment at the moment.

its kinda personal opinion. i got the combo. if i ever really need more volume, i'll just buy a cabinet and hook it up to my combo. the head is just more expensive. if ur only going to be using it for home use and maybe small gigs then the combo would be fine. but if you wanted to do a head and a 1x12 for home and a 2x12 or 4x12 for gigs then that would work too