I have 300$ to spend on my first amp and the fender mustang iii is looking pretty good based on reviews. I have a fender MIM strat and I've just begun to transition into electric guitar from acoustics. I've been using a pocket-rockit headphone amp and the outcome was pretty awful so now I'm investing in an actual amp. Any thoughts?
the mustang is a decent starter amp. if you aren't playing with a drummer and are just playing at home the mustang I would probably be fine. (the $99 one).

but do you want a bunch of effects to mess with or just a straight up good sounding amp?

what kind of music do you want to learn? budget is $300 or?

also are you in the US? UK? Australia?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I own a mustang II and I can say that it is a good amp, but it doesn't quite give me all the modes I would like... overall it is good but I'm not sure of the differences between the mustang III and mine.
the mustang should be plenty versatile for u and in my opinion blows away any other modeling amp. personally, i hate modeling amps but i wouldnt mind picking up a mustang for home use. u really dont need to worry about effects if u have a computer to hook it up to. the FUSE software opens up so many options and makes it just as versatile as the g-dec 3
It all depends on what you wanna do.

If your more rock/metal oriented grab a Peavey Vypyr.

If your more in to rock/blues/jazz/country, then grab the mustang.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
^ erm, the vypyr actually has decent cleans too. i thought the twin and deluxe models worked very well.

TS - if you answer the questions in my previous post, this could thread good get helpful.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would at least look at, maybe not buy unless that's what you're really looking for, Line 6 Spiders. Honestly, these are kind of sucky amps, but they are pretty good for beginners, it has built in presets and with the right amount of tweaking you can get decent tones depending on what type of music you play. You won't have to buy a whole bunch of effects, but like I said, it's not that great an amp, so you should upgrade later.
you're a stone fox
i will disagree with anyone that said vypyrs or line 6. i had the vypyr 75 and a friend of mine has a spider. my vypyr sounded like shit and i couldnt get a decent tone out of it. it also had to get reset many times because it decided to just shit the bed every once in a while. if you r planning on gigging or even just turning the amp up, these rnt good options. the tone just got worse and worse with my vypyr the louder it got and ive listened to spider half stacks at local concerts and they r just terrible. i dont like modeling amps at all, if it were me i would say just buy a decent tube amp and put a pedal or two in front of it. however, if i were forced to buy a modeling amp for practice, i would get either a mustang or g-dec 3. i play through both at lessons and they really have a good tone and are extrememly versatile
Thanks for the replies. I'm mostly into classic rock and getting into blues. No metal or anything. I'm in the US, and I'm just easing my way into electric, so this will be my start. If I decide to pursue it further, I'll probably upgrade but I'm just looking for a decent amp with a lot of versatility.
Edit: Money isn't a big problem but like I said, I'm just starting so I'm not looking to drop heavy bucks onto equipment as of right now.
Last edited by shimeister at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by shimeister
Thanks for the replies. I'm mostly into classic rock and getting into blues. No metal or anything. I'm in the US, and I'm just easing my way into electric, so this will be my start. If I decide to pursue it further, I'll probably upgrade but I'm just looking for a decent amp with a lot of versatility.

the mustang will suit ur needs just fine. if you really want all of the effects on board and accessbile without the use of a computer, look into the g-dec. but the 2 are basically the same amp, only difference is accessibility of on board effects
Quote by andrerist
the mustang will suit ur needs just fine. if you really want all of the effects on board and accessbile without the use of a computer, look into the g-dec. but the 2 are basically the same amp, only difference is accessibility of on board effects

on the mustang iii you can access any amp or effect without a computer