I read somewhere that John Petrucci worked out frequently in addition to practicing guitar, and that helped him get to where he is. I figure alot of it is due to how a person practices, but generally speaking, does working out help with endurance/speed/whatever for guitar?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Hmm. I've been working out just to work out and I've become better on guitar. But I think that's just a coincidence. I also play my acoustic while waiting for maps/apps/games on my computer to load... That could be it.

(MY COMPUTER'S OLD.)

(like 2005)
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 21, 2011,
I've heard quite the opposite. When George Lynch was into body building, he said it really ****ed up his guitar playing and he really regretted it.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
it did for me. then again i had mild scoliosis. working out helped me strengthen my back, which lengthened my practice periods and reduced pain from the guitar.
The impact is very minimal at best. The best work out you can do is to practice guitar more and more.

inb4 someone posts that super ripped dude playing metal
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by Marshmelllow
it did for me. then again i had mild scoliosis. working out helped me strengthen my back, which lengthened my practice periods and reduced pain from the guitar.

nice avatar dude. ME GUSTA.

My scoliosis never hurt my back while playing.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
IDk Kerry King's a fatass and he plays guitar, not a Slayer fan but I doubt being a fatass is a downside for him
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by EvilAngel93
I read somewhere that John Petrucci worked out frequently in addition to practicing guitar, and that helped him get to where he is. I figure alot of it is due to how a person practices, but generally speaking, does working out help with endurance/speed/whatever for guitar?

But see, Petrucci was a much better guitarist when he was a skinny little dude. He can play faster now, but he's lost all sense of melody.

Dream Theater are turning into a gigantic self-parody. Last I heard, Jordan was selling a lot of his gear because he loves his iPad's music apps so much.
Quote by rockingamer2
inb4 someone posts that super ripped dude playing metal

like this?

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
IDk Kerry King's a fatass and he plays guitar, not a Slayer fan but I doubt being a fatass is a downside for him

Shawn Lane, Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Romeo, and Timo Tolkki are all big guys.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 21, 2011,
No, and I'm curious as to why you think a skill like guitar playing which develops through repetitive motions (ie. muscle memory) would in some way improve by doing a completely irrelevant activity.

If you're specifically targeting the muscles in your forearm perhaps it will help with endurance but that won't serve to improve technique and you'll strengthen those muscle groups by practicing anyway.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Very true. Look at Fear Factory's Dino Cazares. He's got to be pushing 300lbs, and I don't think it's slowing him down.

You'd think unless your workout includes working on finger strength and wrist stamina, it wouldn't help much.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Jun 21, 2011,
shawn lane had problems with his weight, yet his guitar playing was phenomenal.

so i don't think working out directly helps guitar playing (unless its to build muscles in your hand). but its is generally good to stay fit.

eat your vegetables, kids.
Quote by theogonia777

THE PROPHECY CAME TRUE!

I shall only use this power for good...

<.<

>.>
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I've found that playing guitar helps with my guitar playing.

No, working out won't help with your guitar playing in any direct way. What it can do is boost your mood, energy, and overall focus, which can help your guitar playing.

Unrelated - you get 1,000 doubloons for your 10 Years avatar.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jun 21, 2011,
Quote by Koshman32
Very true. Look at Fear Factory's Dino Cazares. He's got to be pushing 300lbs, and I don't think it's slowing him down.

You'd think unless your workout includes working on finger strength and wrist stamina, it wouldn't help much.

He's easily above 300 unless he's short as hell.
Quote by Arterial
that totally explains why Paul Gilbert is so good..

hes made out sticks.