at GC & the guy was really surprised at how into he guitar I was. Out of all the guitars there in my price range,he told me that his favorite was the Seagull S6 entourage. He talked about how great the sound was,& I' not gonna lie,but I couldn't tell the difference between the $2000 martin & the $250 seagull. I suck at judging how good a guitar sounds. How do you guys choose your guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-hummingbird-acoustic-guitar?src=3WFRWXX

I Bought in ebony chrome for an extra $50,good buy or not. What strings would you guys recommend? Picks?
Nice guitar, D'Addardio and Martin Strings are nice. Elixers are fun for acoustics, very bright, feel very different though. Picks are very personal but I like Tortex myself.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
Nice guitar, D'Addardio and Martin Strings are nice. Elixers are fun for acoustics, very bright, feel very different though. Picks are very personal but I like Tortex myself.

Which specific model would you recommend for strings? I bought heavy Dunlap tortec's BTW
The thing with Epiphone (and Gibson, really) is their QC is absolutely horrendous. My Hummingbird plays beautifully, but I found it after going to many other stores and trying out many different models. I believe I went through about 3-4 different Doves/Hummingbirds before I finally found a playable one.

As far as strings go, I've had excellent experience with Martin 80/20s, very bright and clear.
Quote by witideable
The thing with Epiphone (and Gibson, really) is their QC is absolutely horrendous. My Hummingbird plays beautifully, but I found it after going to many other stores and trying out many different models. I believe I went through about 3-4 different Doves/Hummingbirds before I finally found a playable one.

As far as strings go, I've had excellent experience with Martin 80/20s, very bright and clear.

what model?
I say good buy. People dis on the epi's and fenders all the time, but if you get a good one they can be great. I wanted a seagull real bad, but my friend gave me a fender for free so I wasn't going to turn it down. I've only had it a few days but even though its all laminate it sounds pretty good (free stuff usually does though lol) and you've got me beat because yours has a solid top!

What I think is great about getting guitars in this price range - provided they play well and sound good (and yours seems to from what you say) is that when it comes time for you to upgrade you'll have a nice sturdy beater acoustic to take out and jam with when you don't want to haul out the expensive one that GAS will eventually cause you to get. I love my new axe, and I'm sure you love yours too. Epi and Fender might not make the best acoustics out there, but for the price you paid you got a solid topped well-reviewed guitar that (more importantly) sounds and feels good to you. Right on!

As for picks and strings, these are both reeeally subjective. I like medium thickness picks and have been known to use Dunlop Gator .71's and .96's or Dunlop Tortex Standard .73's and .88's. Anything thicker and I feel like I'm fighting with it, thinner and I feel like I'm going to drop it. Your best bet would probably be to go to a music store and buy some picks of different sizes and textures and alternate until you find what feels right to you. Thats what I did when I started out.

As for strings, these are subjective and six years in (off and on, two and a half serious) I'm STILL trying to figure out what strings I like. Good luck! haha
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Quote by JTBach
I say good buy. People dis on the epi's and fenders all the time, but if you get a good one they can be great. I wanted a seagull real bad, but my friend gave me a fender for free so I wasn't going to turn it down. I've only had it a few days but even though its all laminate it sounds pretty good (free stuff usually does though lol) and you've got me beat because yours has a solid top!

What I think is great about getting guitars in this price range - provided they play well and sound good (and yours seems to from what you say) is that when it comes time for you to upgrade you'll have a nice sturdy beater acoustic to take out and jam with when you don't want to haul out the expensive one that GAS will eventually cause you to get. I love my new axe, and I'm sure you love yours too. Epi and Fender might not make the best acoustics out there, but for the price you paid you got a solid topped well-reviewed guitar that (more importantly) sounds and feels good to you. Right on!

As for picks and strings, these are both reeeally subjective. I like medium thickness picks and have been known to use Dunlop Gator .71's and .96's or Dunlop Tortex Standard .73's and .88's. Anything thicker and I feel like I'm fighting with it, thinner and I feel like I'm going to drop it. Your best bet would probably be to go to a music store and buy some picks of different sizes and textures and alternate until you find what feels right to you. Thats what I did when I started out.

As for strings, these are subjective and six years in (off and on, two and a half serious) I'm STILL trying to figure out what strings I like. Good luck! haha

Awesome,thanks for the great feedback. The guy at the store told me that the most returned guitar was the epiphones,& I was so bummed. I did alot of research & the Hummingbird & the Dove has 5star reviews everywhere,so I was kind surprised. Maybe he meant the other models,& the only good Epis are the Hum & the Dove. Either way,I hope made a good buy. Worst case scenario,I don't like it the day I get it at the store & I just buy the seagull entourage upfront for $250.

I was thinking about buying some D'A strings. What model strings are good for fingerpicking or just playing classic rock?
nah, he didn't mean other models. consider for a minute who would buy an epiphone hummingbird. many of the guys on this board and agf who buy them talk about their looks, but not their tone, or say they're pretty new to guitars. so those high reviews are from newbs and people who want to validate getting a cheap guitar that looks like a gibson. epiphones lack quality control, and i find that their solid tops just don't sound that good. in fact, their cheapest ones sound pretty meh.

i know people like to own things asap, but i spent months in guitar stores comparing one guitar to another, figuring out what i did and didn't like tonally and physically. i find one way to test drive a guitar is to compare it to a much higher end model, and notice the differences. most guitars are pretty uninspiring after you do an A/B with a much higher quality guitar, but sometimes you'll find one that doesn't compare too badly after playing a really great instrument.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
nah, he didn't mean other models. consider for a minute who would buy an epiphone hummingbird. many of the guys on this board and agf who buy them talk about their looks, but not their tone, or say they're pretty new to guitars. so those high reviews are from newbs and people who want to validate getting a cheap guitar that looks like a gibson. epiphones lack quality control, and i find that their solid tops just don't sound that good. in fact, their cheapest ones sound pretty meh.

i know people like to own things asap, but i spent months in guitar stores comparing one guitar to another, figuring out what i did and didn't like tonally and physically. i find one way to test drive a guitar is to compare it to a much higher end model, and notice the differences. most guitars are pretty uninspiring after you do an A/B with a much higher quality guitar, but sometimes you'll find one that doesn't compare too badly after playing a really great instrument.

So what guitars would you recommend any specific models?
Don't listen to the haters dude, I've got several Epi's and they all sound great and are built well. My 1994 Hummingbird has been terrific since I got it in 2002, my 1998 PR-150 is the best guitar under $150 I've ever seen and my two Masterbilts sound simply amazing and are insanely good value for the money. And I've been playing for more than 10 years, if that still makes me a noob then I guess I am.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Here's the deal with acoustic guitar picks. If the pick breaks, it's too thin. If the string breaks, it's too thick. Get something in between.
Quote by Spud Spudly
If the string breaks, learn how to lighten your attack to compensate for a thicker pick.

Fixed it for ya.

There's no reason why you can't play acoustic with a thick pick, but you can't dig into the strings like you can with a thin one; you just don't need to because you've got more mass behind the attack.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Last edited by Sleaze Disease at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by 1500 meanstreak
Don't listen to the haters dude, I've got several Epi's and they all sound great and are built well. My 1994 Hummingbird has been terrific since I got it in 2002, my 1998 PR-150 is the best guitar under $150 I've ever seen and my two Masterbilts sound simply amazing and are insanely good value for the money. And I've been playing for more than 10 years, if that still makes me a noob then I guess I am.

Do you have the model that I posted? Also,I don't see why people are spontaneously hating on Epiphone,maybe their acoustic line does suck,but maybe these specific models are great. It has 5 out of 5 stars in musicians friends & guitarcenter.com in like 2k reviews. Plus,it sounded great.l
Quote by ickayR
Do you have the model that I posted? Also,I don't see why people are spontaneously hating on Epiphone,maybe their acoustic line does suck,but maybe these specific models are great. It has 5 out of 5 stars in musicians friends & guitarcenter.com in like 2k reviews. Plus,it sounded great.l

Yep the Epi Hummingbird. Mine is from 1994, they had a slightly darker color scheme and the Les Paul style headstock and logo back then. Sounds great though. I would say you could have saved some cash by getting the $250 Epi Hummingbird Artist, same guitar except without the grovers and the bird design on the pickguard. I've tried several of them and I think they sound fantastic. Either way a great guitar IMHO. Here are my Epi's, 1998 PR-150, 1994 Hummingbird, 2008 AJ-500M and 2009 DR-500M Masterbilts. Click the thumbnails for full size.

Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Last edited by 1500 meanstreak at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by ickayR
Lighten my attack?

Yes, as in, don't pick as hard.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
*sigh*

i don't hate epiphone guitars. i did discover when i started playing ALL the guitars in every store i went to that they just don't sound as good. they sound better than most ibanez and dean guitars, but not always as good as some fenders. i have no ax to grind, i'm not a hater - it was only 2 1/2 years ago i was considering epiphones as guitars i might want to own, but listening and comparing them, they didn't sound as good, their hardware wasn't as good and i found other minor issues like proud frets, which is why i say their qc isn't all that. but i have owned all laminate and solid top guitars, so no issue there. and btw, the sales guy probably didn't have an ax to grind, either.

if you really love a guitar, it shouldn't matter whether it's the best guitar for the money, or whether other guitars sound better, i suppose. i played laminate b&s guitars for years, but once i really started listening to better quality guitars, i started being able to tell the difference, and i realized what i was missing.

every guitar one buys doesn't have to be the best one. if you're happy, does it matter? my small beater is a yamaha jr1 - it's not all that good, but it fits me needs for an inexpensive mini dread exactly. on the other hand, if having a really good quality guitar does matter to you, get out there and educate your ears. play lots of $2000 and over guitars - hopefully you have some indie stores so you can find some boutique brands like collings, santa cruz, gooall and lowden. compare. explore. have fun. after playing lots of the good stuff, which lower priced guitars are also the good stuff becomes a lot more obvious.

btw, my husband plays acoustic very well with a 3mm - or sometimes 2mm - pick. i use 2mm, or sometimes 1.7mm.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by ickayR
Lighten my attack?

Don't listen to any dumbass who tells you to change your "attack."
remember though 99.99% guitars are playable so there is no guitar thats bad enough to be your travel-throw-around-guitar.

EDIT: I absolutely HATE Martin strings. Go compare a Martin (Martin Strings) with a Taylor (Elixer Strings) and you'll understand why I hate them so much.
Last edited by Dmaj7 at Jun 23, 2011,
Any guitar that does what you want it to is a good buy. Likes and dislikes and tonal qualities and sound are all highly subjective and individualistic.
It's entirely possible for a given player to pick up a given instrument and think it sounds "better" than another.... Even if the next guy thinks exactly the opposite.
Some folks like a powerful bass.... Some a bright treble.

If the instrument sounds good to you, you did well. Now, it may happen that over a period of time your tastes will change and you'll suddenly acquire the "I need a new guitar" syndrome. We all suffer from that....
Quote by Spud Spudly
Don't listen to any dumbass who's name is Spud Spudly.

Fixed.

The guy clearly has no idea about guitar playing.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Alright,thanks for all the feedback people. Worst case scenario,I play the guitar the day of,dislike the sound,so I get a yamaha,takamine or Original seagull s6.