my friend has a short scale hoffner bass, and has recently expressed his discontent with buying special strings for it which are more expensive than regular strings apparently. does anyone know if any company makes tuners with bigger holes, so my friend can just cut down regular bass strings and use them to save money?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
It's not really an issue with the tuners. It's the scale length.

Tell your friend to buy short scale strings online. Shops rarely carry them, and if they do, it's usually only one or two brands.

I play short scale, mainly, and this has been my experience.

Also... if your friend gets some flatwound strings... which, IMHO, sound better than rounds on short scale... they may be fairly pricy, but they will last for a VERY long time. Like... years.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Buy 'em on-line. Virtually no price difference between short scale and long scale strings, although flats are almost always twice as high as roundwounds. Summary below, from JustStrings.com...

D'addario long scale nickel roundwounds: $12.92
D'addario short scale nickel roundwounds: $13.83

D'addario long scale nickel flatwounds: $24.91
D'addario short scale nickel flatwounds: $22.84

Links for the above strings:
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-exl160.html
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-exl160s.html
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ecb82.html
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ecb81s.html
well wait then i am confused. why do you need special strings for short scale bass?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
because the scale is shorter, and the taper or silky part of long scale strings ends up being cut off and not fitting inside the tuner.
ok, right, thats what i thought. thats why i asked if anyone knew of any tuners that had bigger holes, so you just cut regular strings and put them through the bigger hole on the tuning peg. my issue is with the tuners yes. since short scale strings are harder to find, if you could just get regular strings and cut them down a bit, well, do you see my logic here? lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Yeah, I think we all know what it is you want to do, but it's just not a good solution.

Even if you buy and install tuners that accommodate the cut-off long scale strings, the first 90 degree turn on the winding drum is likely to weaken the string enough that it will break before you can bring it up to the correct tuning. This is especially true with the E and A strings, as they are larger in diameter to begin with.

The part of the strings that you would want to cut off is a smaller diameter than the rest of the string. It's that way so you can start the winding process without breaking the string. By cutting that part of the string off you greatly increase the chance of string breakage.

Why is it so difficult to just use short-scale strings? It is true that you have fewer short scale choices in retail outlets, but they're readily available on line at basically the same price as long scale strings. Hofners sound great with flats (just ask Paul McCartney), and as noted earlier a set of flatwound strings will last for a year or more.

You won't save anything if you buy a set of long scale strings, cut them shorter, and then have them break on you. Not to mention that you'll be out the cost of a set of tuners to boot.
alright. sorry, im WAY more accustomed to guitar, i didnt think they were different in that aspect of strings. well, thanks guys, now to correct my friend and order some flatwounds!
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?