so we all know there is a vintage market out there for everything, and that as time passes, what is vintage is still vintage, but newer manufactured gear is added to the vintage list. i guess now it is understood by some form of majority, that vintage is pre-1980.

so what do you see becoming desiriable and rare in the future, lets say just for sake of argument that these will be pre-1990, excluding instruments before the current cutoff at 1979?

for example the kramers that quite a bit of well known 80's bands played.

also of course the JCM800 if you can find them stock.

so whats your go?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Original G&L Rampage - Jerry Cantrell's now-signature guitars.

Original flat top Hamer Duo-Tones.

Ulbrick Ampliifiers.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
i have a feeling that a lot of american 80's peavy guitars may do a little bit, but its kinda a toss-up. i have been snatching them up here and there. mostly because they are excellent guitars and have some interesting features.

MIJ fenders may do good as well.

also i think English Celestions are going to skyrocket in the next 10-20 years. i have over a dozen english celestions in varius cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Orange Rockerverb MK1 and Uberschall Rev Blue if it's pre 1990? Either way I reckon it'll be a real collectors item and sought after like 2 channel dual rectos
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Orange Rockerverb MK1 and Uberschall Rev Blue if it's pre 1990? Either way I reckon it'll be a real collectors item and sought after like 2 channel dual rectos

whether its in between dates or not, i agree on all of the above.

add some of the Mark 2's or 3's (i can't remember which was which), with the desirable striping (again cant remember which).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i thinking original 5150's and ultra's/xxx's/jsx's (but not for like 50+ years)
there gonna have re-issues and it still never will be as cool to have the 2040 xxx re-issue compared to a 1990 or so xxx with el34's.
jsx i thinks will go up because its the only amp so far that joe satriani has a signature of, and it was discontinued, and its a good amp.
i also think 80's prestiege ibanezes and rare vai jem guitars. i am too big of a fan of signature gear...
Quote by LolCatGuitar
i thinking original 5150's and ultra's/xxx's/jsx's (but not for like 50+ years)
there gonna have re-issues and it still never will be as cool to have the 2040 xxx re-issue compared to a 1990 or so xxx with el34's.
jsx i thinks will go up because its the only amp so far that joe satriani has a signature of, and it was discontinued, and its a good amp.
i also think 80's prestiege ibanezes and rare vai jem guitars. i am too big of a fan of signature gear...

i agree on the origional 5150's (maybe even the 5150II's, the number of them out there is pretty low in comparison to the 6505/6505+.

i think the ultra may go that way too, it was kind of a pioneering design, but i don't really imagine XXX's going up. i dont think the XXX's will simply because there are so many of them out there, and peope tend to like things that are origional, but they are basically the same as the ultra. correct? so the first generation would be more valuable.

and 100% with the vai jem's and prestieiges
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
add some of the Mark 2's or 3's (i can't remember which was which), with the desirable striping (again cant remember which).

They're already pretty rare, depending on the model/stripe. Factory IIC+'s have been incredibly rare for ages, there are only 1500 or so in existence.

I'm not sure about Mark III's though, or Ibanez Prestiges.
80's and some 90's JEM's will be though I think.
This has been done to death, but this is my take on it.

I think the biggest reason gear that is worth a lot now is worth a lot because of the bands who used that gear. Music today is just very different than music was 30-50 years ago. No one cares about bands anymore - there will never be another Beatles, or Pink Floyd or what have you (probably not anyway). The closest we have now is U2 and Muse, and we all know that it's just not the same, at all.

So, personally, I believe that gear won't really ever become sought after the way that vintage gear is sought after, until unrealistically popular bands like used to exist start to exist again.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This has been done to death, but this is my take on it.

I think the biggest reason gear that is worth a lot now is worth a lot because of the bands who used that gear. Music today is just very different than music was 30-50 years ago. No one cares about bands anymore - there will never be another Beatles, or Pink Floyd or what have you (probably not anyway). The closest we have now is U2 and Muse, and we all know that it's just not the same, at all.

So, personally, I believe that gear won't really ever become sought after the way that vintage gear is sought after, until unrealistically popular bands like used to exist start to exist again.

i haven't seen it on here at all, and i am on quite a bit and haven't seen it, but whatever.

i both agree and disagree with you. IMO there are two things that make a guitar/amp/whatever rare, number in existence, and the celebritys who played it.

its never going to be like those 50's and 60's Fenders, Gibsons, Marshalls, Hiwatts, etc. again, but there will still be some appreciating gear as time passes.

there are a full load of famous 80's hair metal players out there that a coming group of middle age crisis enveloped who seek the guitar George Lynch played, to recapture their youth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have a feeling that a lot of american 80's peavy guitars may do a little bit, but its kinda a toss-up. i have been snatching them up here and there. mostly because they are excellent guitars and have some interesting features.

That'd be great since I have a single humbucker Peavey Patriot in the attic at my folks' place. It's in pieces, but I was reluctant to part with it as it was my first electric.
I hope someday---insert name from modern crap musics----autotune is a rarity! Popular music is so terrible right now I can't turn on a radio! I thought 2000 was bad...

As for down the line...how about a line 6 dl4 that isn't broken?
A couple of the Japanese Boss pedals from the early 1980s are pretty desireable now.

DL-2 and there was a metal distortion box that I recall.
a little while ago i saw a jem in a pink flower floral finish, along with a blue one. both going for $2500 or so. in like 50 years or longer when vai passes away (sadly) and all the fanboys run to his gear they will want to try and find those legacy cabs with greenbacks and early universes and jem's with PAF Pro's and pink finishes.

and with anybody that says that the xxx's are the same as the jsx or ultra, basically the ultra is 2 channels, and a more kinda fizzy hair metal sound (though it isn't technically fizzy) and the xxx has 3 channels with dampening switches and a different sorta voicing. in my opinion from what i've heard its more raw. then the jsx basically is a xxx's crunch channel for the lead, a classic 50's gain channel for the crunch and a tweaked xxx clean channel for the clean iirc. along with a fat switch to bring back slightly more low mids that was taken out of the crunch and lead for a tighter sound. they aren't that far apart, but enough to say that they aren't the same amp.
I think earlier JEM/Universes are already quite sought after. A guy's selling an original Universe Multicolor for like 3500€ or something like that. Guess there are very, VERY few of them here in Italy. Like, an handful.

Also, a friend of mine owns one of those pink jems from the early 90's or so, ALL original, a few nicks here and there, but plays and sounds wonderfully. He's also got an Ibanez RBM (reb beach's signature model before he switched to Suhr) which I had the pleasure to play. I can see those going up, along with some other Ibanez signature models (another one that comes to mind is Gambale's FGM), maybe just because there are few of them around here.
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
Several Ibanez JEM and UV models are already demanding very high prices as are the anniversary JS models and the early JS models with graphics. The PGM 700 is also very sought after. These aren't surprising, values have been increasing predictably for years, though I'm sure the trend will continue.

I'd bet that when Mark Knopfler dies the Pensa-Suhr MK models will demand ludicrously high prices.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
pre-chambered les pauls.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Pre 94 PRS guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Pre 94 PRS guitars.

those already get some serious love. i have to agree.
anything you think of if already collectible or won't be what ends up being the new "thing" . it's always the stuff that got ignored "back in the day" that ends up really being worth somethings as no one saved them. these days everyone saves everything and you can always find whatever on ebay.
^ yes but the threadstarter asked about 80s gear - it's already becoming obvious what is considered good and what is crap and what has been treasured and what has become very rare.
Quote by monwobobbo
anything you think of if already collectible or won't be what ends up being the new "thing" . it's always the stuff that got ignored "back in the day" that ends up really being worth somethings as no one saved them. these days everyone saves everything and you can always find whatever on ebay.

so we should buy up all those cheap assed danelectros?

i mean, it would have worked the first time around.

because you are right, it's the stuff you don't expect sometimes.
Maybe those "79-'80 silverburst Les Pauls? I mean, a lot of famous players use them, but they could go rare one day.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one
Fujigen Ibanez RGs
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by gregs1020
so we should buy up all those cheap assed danelectros?

i mean, it would have worked the first time around.

because you are right, it's the stuff you don't expect sometimes.

well back in the 70 s there was this cheapo fx company called Electro-Harmonix and look at there original stuff these days .

many of the items mentioned are already starting to garner some attention so it's not really a "future" thing. if you had to guess what items that are new right now will be worth something that would be "future". i'll add late 80s Fenders as they were redesigned and of high quality.
If you want to invest... don't put too much stock on just mass market stuff. Look at things like boutique pedals that are gaining momentum... but not all over the place.

Brands like Catalinbread and Fulltone are a little too mass market already.

Go for builders with strong reputations or excellent quality stuff (ZVex, NOC3, JHV3, Red Witch, Malekko (SP), Moog, DVK tech, Devi Ever, Death by Audio, Subdecay, Analogman, Keeley mods etc)... you're looking for products that have some reputation... but are not all over the place

You'd want to pick up things that start to border on dear, but not excessive.

We've been having a good run of guitar oriented music... but everything goes in cycles... so I'd estimate we've got another 2 - 3 years before guitars in mainstream music just phases out.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
original 1979-1980 gibson lpc silver burst.

pretty much any guitar with a good ebony board

any guitar with monster AAAAAA kind of maple tops

id also like my peavey 6534+ to gain value too, even now theyre not all over the place, but pretty damn good amps imo
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jun 21, 2011,
Original Charvel's and Jackson
and the Gibson WRC
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate